Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107768
View in linear mode

Subject: "My turbo project 1 year along the build...." Previous topic | Next topic
CyexmasterApr-08-10 01:04 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
324 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107768, "My turbo project 1 year along the build...."

First off I want to thank all of the members here for being part of this great community. And specially to those that helped me out when I needed parts or advise. I could not have gotten this far with out all the knowledge here.

The car is a 98 Eclipse GS it's green, in good shape. 150+ K on it before the build...

I already had it boosting on stock internals for about a year when the bolts that hold the throttle plate decided to take a ride! Actually it was my fault becuase when I put the bolts on I forgot to locktite them and a few months later the came off..

For some reason I drove my car home like that in forth gear shutting it off once once it boosted and then starting it again a few times till I got to my house... I was kinda near... But still, I wa sure those small bolts where either on the cylinders or the turbo if the went thru the cylinders. So I had to open up the engine after removing the head and looking at perfect cylinders y took off the intake mani to find the bolts on the intake ports of the head. Long story short then and there I decided to build my engine before I put it back. Will be a year now when April ends but I am almost done.

Now for the pics...:hellyeah:

This was the engine removal in search for the bolts...

Pistons and rods: don't looki to bad after a year of boost 10-15 sometimes more (that time when the vacuum line on the WG popped off and I did not notice the overboost, but the car was pulling like crazy!..lol )

One the bolts that went to the ports...

This was the engine bay before all that incident....:ohdamn:

Now for the upgrades and nice parts I got while the project develops...

Some paint on the interior I forgot to to pics of them installed sorry..

Forged pistons and rods... JE 8.8:1 Comp 88mm ( 0.020 OB) and Eagle H Beams.
Yes they are used, I'm am a college student so $$ flow aint that big.. :

Status- Need to do break-in...

Try not to challenge me, I'd rather tie up than lose. Either way you NEVER WIN.... - Me..

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Apr-08-10 01:06 PM, #1
RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Apr-08-10 01:07 PM, #2
RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., 420agreenvilleSC, Apr-08-10 01:42 PM, #3
      RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Apr-08-10 08:39 PM, #4
           RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-08-10 08:51 PM, #5
           RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Ebster1085, Apr-08-10 08:54 PM, #6
RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., AdministratorCODE4, Apr-09-10 04:42 PM, #8
RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Babbz413, Apr-09-10 02:07 PM, #7
RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Apr-09-10 05:12 PM, #9
      RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., mitsu95023, Apr-09-10 08:09 PM, #10
           RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, May-02-10 06:48 PM, #11
                RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, May-02-10 08:06 PM, #12
                     RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, May-02-10 08:19 PM, #13
                          RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., megaskillz, May-04-10 07:54 AM, #14
                               RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., dalesmitsu, May-04-10 06:54 PM, #15
                                    RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, May-04-10 07:43 PM, #16
                                         RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., RoninEclipse2G, May-05-10 12:47 PM, #17
                                              RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, May-05-10 04:55 PM, #18
                                                   RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., RoninEclipse2G, May-05-10 06:43 PM, #19
                                                        RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Ebster1085, May-06-10 08:43 AM, #20
                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., ez, May-09-10 01:38 AM, #21
                                                                  RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, May-09-10 08:42 PM, #22
                                                                       RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., RoninEclipse2G, May-10-10 10:33 AM, #23
                                                                            RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, May-10-10 11:35 AM, #24
                                                                                 RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Moderatorteklein, May-12-10 06:57 PM, #25
                                                                                      RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Babbz413, May-17-10 06:59 PM, #26
                                                                                           RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, May-17-10 09:11 PM, #27
                                                                                                RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., 97eclipseRS, May-18-10 03:41 PM, #28
                                                                                                     RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, May-19-10 03:22 PM, #29
                                                                                                          RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Jun-02-10 06:35 AM, #30
                                                                                                               RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., megaskillz, Jun-02-10 09:08 AM, #31
                                                                                                                    RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Jun-03-10 05:00 AM, #32
                                                                                                                         RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., 420agreenvilleSC, Jun-03-10 09:15 AM, #33
                                                                                                                              RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Jun-26-10 09:45 PM, #34
                                                                                                                                   RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Moderatorteklein, Jun-27-10 06:08 AM, #35
                                                                                                                                        RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Jun-27-10 08:00 AM, #36
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Ebster1085, Jun-27-10 10:57 AM, #37
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-01-10 08:41 PM, #38
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Jul-03-10 05:30 PM, #39
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jul-04-10 04:13 PM, #40
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Dec-18-10 09:51 PM, #41
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., megaskillz, Dec-19-10 08:05 PM, #42
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-19-10 08:21 PM, #43
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-19-10 09:02 PM, #44
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Dec-22-10 12:21 PM, #45
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Dec-27-10 12:56 PM, #46
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., AdministratorCODE4, Dec-27-10 08:04 PM, #47
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Dec-28-10 12:13 AM, #48
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., TurbchargdSpydr, Jan-02-11 01:45 PM, #49
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Jan-03-11 08:44 AM, #50
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., LD25Delta9, Jan-03-11 11:28 AM, #51
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-03-11 05:01 PM, #52
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., LD25Delta9, Jan-04-11 06:12 AM, #53
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Jan-04-11 10:56 AM, #54
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., LD25Delta9, Jan-05-11 06:44 AM, #55
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-05-11 12:38 PM, #56
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., LD25Delta9, Jan-06-11 12:04 PM, #57
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-08-11 07:02 AM, #58
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., LD25Delta9, Jan-08-11 09:58 AM, #59
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-08-11 06:18 PM, #60
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Jan-10-11 07:35 AM, #61
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Jan-11-11 09:02 AM, #62
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Black_Eclipse, Jan-11-11 11:30 PM, #63
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Jan-12-11 12:12 AM, #64
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Black_Eclipse, Jan-12-11 12:29 AM, #65
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Shake_Zulla, Jan-17-11 05:58 PM, #66
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Jan-17-11 08:25 PM, #67
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., TurbchargdSpydr, Jan-19-11 01:20 AM, #68
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., LD25Delta9, Jan-21-11 11:26 AM, #69
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Ebster1085, Jan-21-11 12:20 PM, #70
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Jan-21-11 05:23 PM, #71
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Feb-08-11 09:06 AM, #72
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., Cyexmaster, Feb-15-11 11:47 AM, #73
                                                                                                                                             RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...., JoshDSM, Mar-05-12 09:16 PM, #74

CyexmasterApr-08-10 01:06 PM
324 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107769, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 0

And here I gave some love and fresh paint to old parts to make them look nice'er.

The turbo was rebuild with al new seals and bearings....

ECU and the engine side mounts got painted.

Some alt/PS/AC brackets , and other stuff. Cross member I had to redo and came out much better... but don't have pics of that...

Now for the goodies....

BC Ti retainers and springs

OBX adjustable cam gears, I changed the bolts for grade 8 ones just to be safe..:sneaky:

I got GSX brakes and SS braided lines, painted them but might change the color after... Don't know if I should do the entire suspension in a goldish-bronze color or leave it black or maybe silver....

95 Neon OEM flywheel , ACT 6 puck solid clutch, Clutch Net PP, also got the longer neon bolts for the fly and new bolt for the PP.

ARP head bolts.. and new lower control arms, old one's where busted.

Try not to challenge me, I'd rather tie up than lose. Either way you NEVER WIN.... - Me..

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

CyexmasterApr-08-10 01:07 PM
324 posts,
#107770, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 1

Here are the turbo and custom tubular manifold (before wraping it)

Heres my huge intercooler with in/out in the same side (BTW that's not me holding it it's a buddy of mine..)

Turbo wrapped and then coated with silicone.

Mega squirt ECU Board 3 MS 2 , Shift light, table switch, launch control and boost control already done to it....:sneaky:

Here's shot of the chamber on the head after I did a lil nad polish on it to help out in the combustion.. :

Here's my new 50mm Tial knock off BOV and my 60mm MP throttle body (without the bolts that like to hang around my engine...lol)

420agreenvilleSCApr-08-10 01:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#107771, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 2

god this setup and parts is sex. take care of my pistons/rods, they still look good. good luck. love the color selections. have patience w/ the build and you'll be rockn it for a lonnggg time.

If possible, try coating with extreme temp paint (or wrapping like me) your turbo hotside. that thing gets HOT and creates alot of underhood temps.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

CyexmasterApr-08-10 08:39 PM
324 posts,
#107773, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 3

I'm going to get those nice looking turbo blankets so I can use it when I get another turbo.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-08-10 08:51 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#107776, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 4

Very very nice.

Ebster1085Apr-08-10 08:54 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#107777, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 4

Looking good man. Lots of quality parts and I like the extra work you did on the "little things" with the fresh paint, ceramic coating, etc.

Keep us posted, and good luck on the rest of the build.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

AdministratorCODE4Apr-09-10 04:42 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#107779, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 1

I like you detail and parts selection so far. Have fun with that unsprung hub. Took me a bit to learn how to drive my twin disc on the street.

Triple check your work, have patience, and you will have a durable powerplant.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Babbz413Apr-09-10 02:07 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#107778, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Cyexmaster
Pistons and rods: don't looki to bad after a year of boost 10-15 sometimes more (that time when the vacuum line on the WG popped off and I did not notice the overboost, but the car was pulling like crazy!..lol )

Are you saying you were pushing 10-15 lbs on those stock rods and pistons?! If so, you my friend are lucky to not blow anything...

Blew my ring landings last year on 7 lbs after 2 years on stock internals.

95 GS Boosted

CyexmasterApr-09-10 05:12 PM
324 posts,
#107780, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 7

I did run regularly at 10-12psi (my MBC was moody...lol ) and then there was the first time I ran the car after putting on the turbo, the MBC was not installed properly and I when thru 1st gear till 15psi and took my foot of the gas...lol

Then there was a night I went racing and did like 8 passes and the car was pulling like crazy! it would spin the tires all the way to 3rd gear... And I was telling my friend that and how I could not believe it.
So I raced one more time with a GST we where bumper to bumper all the way to 3rd gear and he blew up a coupler from his intercooler...

So after that I pulled my car and popped the hood to let it cool a bit and I noticed that the vacuum line fitting on the top port of my WG was missing. It actually popped it out and made a dent the hood.. so I was over boosting for a while and I didnt even notice how much I was overboosting

mitsu95023Apr-09-10 08:09 PM
Member since Mar 23rd 2009
36 posts,
#107781, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 9

looking good, nice turbo manifold.... What brake line kit did you go with?

'95 rs turbo project
'97 gs parts car
'01 Audi s4 DD
'80 porsche 911 993 widebody, 3.6ltr

CyexmasterMay-02-10 06:48 PM
324 posts,
#107843, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by mitsu95023
looking good, nice turbo manifold.... What brake line kit did you go with?

Well I only have the front one's as of now, those are Goodridge SS braided lines. The rear one's I will prob have to custom make them cuz no one sells the rear one's alone for a reasonable price.

CyexmasterMay-02-10 08:06 PM
324 posts,
#107844, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 11

Here's the latest on the build:

I painted my front fender wells with undercoating, painted the suspension components with chassis paint, did all the front suspension urathane bushings, replaced the brake lines with braided SS one's.

I also fitted my FMIC, I had to remove the splash shields,bar and it's supports and the fogs (I really didn't want to..) also had to cut the bumper for it to fit properly.

Nasty big..

I have to move the FMIC cuz it needs to be more towards the drivers side...

Here's my engine when I got to the mechanics shop, he was installing the cam's caps, then he did the oil pump, pick-up tube, oil pan, the thing where the filter goes, gear for the timing belt and all of the seals. I still need to get the timing covers for him to finish the engine. But I got to say the guy knows his stuff, and is super clean in the work triple checks it's. Well I am super confident about this build.

CyexmasterMay-02-10 08:19 PM
324 posts,
#107845, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 12

Fender wells before painting,coating and install of new brake lines:

this one's are for reference to the suspension components because I took it after I coated the wells with under coating..

This are the after pics:

Can't wait till I get the brackets so I can put on the dual piston calipers and the new slotted rotors.....!

megaskillzMay-04-10 07:54 AM
Member since Oct 12th 2008
105 posts,
#107846, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 13

Looking good. Keep up the good work.

dalesmitsuMay-04-10 06:54 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#107847, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 14

I like your attention to detail and patience with your build. Nice, job and did you paint stock wheels.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

CyexmasterMay-04-10 07:43 PM
324 posts,
#107848, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
I like your attention to detail and patience with your build. Nice, job and did you paint stock wheels.

Well I plan to paint or powdercoat the wheels with a gold/bronze color or maybe flat black and gold lip.... not sure yet

RoninEclipse2GMay-05-10 12:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#107849, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 16

If you do black with polished I will slap you.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

CyexmasterMay-05-10 04:55 PM
324 posts,
#107850, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
If you do black with polished I will slap you.

lol.... No I wont do that.

Can you give some help on that?
What color or combination would you guys think would look good? Remember I will be keeping the stock wheels

or maybe should I do flat black and give it some touch of gold on the calipers...?

RoninEclipse2GMay-05-10 06:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#107851, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 18

If the car is staying green then I say silver or gunmetal, but bronze could look nice too. Gold would be too bright IMO

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

Ebster1085May-06-10 08:43 AM
531 posts,
#107854, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 19

With the dark green paint, I think a bronze would look the best. I think gold would also look nice too.

ezMay-09-10 01:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#107860, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 20

Bronze wheels with your color scheme would be sex. I love your setup, excellent work!

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

CyexmasterMay-09-10 08:42 PM
324 posts,
#107861, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 21

Here's my work from this weekend.

Did one of the rear wells with undercoating, painted the suspension components, replaced bushings with urathane bushings, painted calipers, new ceramic pads and new slotted rotors....

Enjoy...

Before pics...

After pictures....

On a side note...

Does this look ok?

I could push in the shock with not much effort and it came out very slowly, as can be seen in the pic I could even hold it in place with masking tape...

Are this shocks blown? I think they are....

RoninEclipse2GMay-10-10 10:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#107863, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 22

Not quite blown, but definitely too worn to put back on the car IMO

Erik P.

CyexmasterMay-10-10 11:35 AM
324 posts,
#107864, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 23

that was what I was thinking....

Do any of you guys know of a page that sells the pair of rear tokico illuminas for less than $220?

I found them on modernperformance and Street tuned motorsports... anyother place?

ModeratortekleinMay-12-10 06:57 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#107865, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 24

that was what I was thinking.... Do any of you guys know of a page that sells the pair of rear tokico illuminas for less than $220? I found them on modernperformance and Street tuned motorsports... anyother place?

On eBay you can get the springs/struts Illumina package for like 550ish shipped.

Or like 400ish for the whole set.

I would replace all of them at one time, most likely the rest are just as bad or getting there.

Babbz413May-17-10 06:59 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#107879, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 25

I think its safe too change your status of "Pending" rebuild with forged internals...

95 GS Boosted

CyexmasterMay-17-10 09:11 PM
324 posts,
#107880, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 26

Originally posted by Babbz413
I think its safe too change your status of "Pending" rebuild with forged internals...

I will change that as soon as the engine runs...

97eclipseRSMay-18-10 03:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
940 posts,
#107885, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 27

beautiful build!!! really love the color scheme and detail. good luck with the rest of your build!

- Dan

HRC Stage 2|30lb injectors|S-FMU|Walbro255HP|AFX UDP|B&M Short Shifter w/ Symborski Shift Kit|Rear Strut Bar|Power Slot Rotors|more...

CyexmasterMay-19-10 03:22 PM
324 posts,
#107887, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 28

Here are the latest pics...

I finished all the ES bushings and all the suspension painting, did all the fender wells and fixed my ecu harness and made it look pretty...lol

I slapped on the intake mani and throttle on to the engine and the turbo mani too, just for fun....

got new bolts for the throttle plate.. (and used lot's of loctite this time to secure them...)

CyexmasterJun-02-10 06:35 AM
324 posts,
#107925, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 29

LAtest update....

the engine has all the timming done and flywheel, just need to align the clutch and bolt down the PP... then it's time for alternator and the other stuff that goes on the block so I can get that baby on to the car....

also got new shock for the rear, I had to go with kyb gr2's but it's ok

enjoy the pics...

PS

thanxs to teklein for the help on my alignment tool dilema....

megaskillzJun-02-10 09:08 AM
105 posts,
#107926, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 30

Just replaced my busted shocks on the rear with the kyb gr2s also. One was leaking oil and the other one was halfway there. Rear feels way better now. BTW, what clutch and flywheel you decided to go with? I was thinking of going with a non-modular setup as well.

CyexmasterJun-03-10 05:00 AM
324 posts,
#107930, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 31

Originally posted by megaskillz
Just replaced my busted shocks on the rear with the kyb gr2s also. One was leaking oil and the other one was halfway there. Rear feels way better now. BTW, what clutch and flywheel you decided to go with? I was thinking of going with a non-modular setup as well.

It's a clutchnet PP with an ACT 6 puck solid hub and stock neon(95) flywheel....

420agreenvilleSCJun-03-10 09:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#107931, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 32

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

CyexmasterJun-26-10 09:45 PM
324 posts,
#107968, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 33

Here's the latest update I got the engine out today and matched it with the tranny wich I painted a few days back.... Got time tu bolt on all the engine mounts and a few stuff more... But my buddy had to go to work so I didn't have some one to help me get that thing in the car. Maybe 2morrow I will finish that, enjoy!

ModeratortekleinJun-27-10 06:08 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#107969, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 34

Love the VC!

How did you do it?

CyexmasterJun-27-10 08:00 AM
324 posts,
#107970, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 35

Originally posted by teklein
Love the VC! How did you do it?

it was done at a powder shop near where I live. I'm thinking I may change it in the future...

Ebster1085Jun-27-10 10:57 AM
531 posts,
#107971, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 36

Everything looks great man. Very clean work. Well done!

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-01-10 08:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#107972, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 37

looks real good man!

On a side note, returnability on our stock struts sucks, always. Yours were probably as good as they've ever been.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

CyexmasterJul-03-10 05:30 PM
324 posts,
#107973, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 38

I got last sunday the help to drop the engine in the car and took pics of the dual piston calipers I got on...

Before...

After..

Brakes....

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJul-04-10 04:13 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#107977, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 39

Coming along real nice.

CyexmasterDec-18-10 09:51 PM
324 posts,
#108366, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 40

Here's an update:

Downpipe 90% done:

Slimfans installed:

megaskillzDec-19-10 08:05 PM
105 posts,
#108367, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 41

Looking good man! I was wondering what's been going on since the last update. Keep up the good work.

420agreenvilleSCDec-19-10 08:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#108368, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 42

yum. love the eye candy

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-19-10 09:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#108369, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 41

Are those fans attached to the condenser core, or have you removed it? Unless you shroud the gap between the radiator and the condenser, you'll probably still have some cooling issues.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

CyexmasterDec-22-10 12:21 PM
324 posts,
#108370, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 44

Originally posted by DarkOne
Are those fans attached to the condenser core, or have you removed it? Unless you shroud the gap between the radiator and the condenser, you'll probably still have some cooling issues.

Well the condenser is still in there and the gap is not shrouded but I still have 2 more fans on the back of the radiator one 8" on the passenger side and the stock one from the passenger side was moved to the drivers side. I guess that should keep my temps in check. What I really need to get is a low temp thermostat, where can I find one? are those things by size or are all the same for all cars?

I forgot to add the pics from the mani when it was modified.
Enjoy the eye candy I will post more pics 2morrow when I finish the heat wrap on the downpipe, mani and dump tube....

CyexmasterDec-27-10 12:56 PM
324 posts,
#108389, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 45

Bump....

Can someone give me some info on the t-stat?

AdministratorCODE4Dec-27-10 08:04 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#108390, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 46

Bump.... Can someone give me some info on the t-stat?

4 electric fans is a little excessive - the two pusher fans will only effectively push air through the A/C condenser without any shrouding.

You need to order a thermostat specifically for the 2GNT - a thermostat for a small block Chevy is not going to drop in. Stant makes a 180* if I recall - check your parts store. Did you try Google? If you can weld a downpipe, this should not be an issue for you.

---

2012 2500HD LML

CyexmasterDec-28-10 12:13 AM
324 posts,
#108391, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 47

I never said this fab work was done by me, I wish I could do that!
But just wanted to know if the low temp t-stat was easy to find in a autoparts store or if it would be something I had to order...
thanxs anyway! ...

TurbchargdSpydrJan-02-11 01:45 PM
Member since Jul 25th 2010
159 posts,
#108399, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 46

Bump.... Can someone give me some info on the t-stat?

autozone has valucraft t-stats that are 180 degrees. If you do a search, you might find some more info, but IIRC, there was a company that made 160 degree one. not sure if you need one that low but... just my 2cents..

CyexmasterJan-03-11 08:44 AM
324 posts,
#108404, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 49

Originally posted by TurbchargdSpydr
Originally posted by Cyexmaster Bump.... Can someone give me some info on the t-stat?
autozone has valucraft t-stats that are 180 degrees. If you do a search, you might find some more info, but IIRC, there was a company that made 160 degree one. not sure if you need one that low but... just my 2cents..

thanxs for the info I tried the autozone page and found the same thing and since I have a store like 2 min from my house I guess I will try that one first...

LD25Delta9Jan-03-11 11:28 AM
Member since Aug 23rd 2010
31 posts,
#108405, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 50
Jan-04-11 06:20 AM by LD25Delta9

First off, Nice build mate! I have one question though: Did you have your turbo rebuilt and balanced before or after you decided to paint it? If you painted it before it was rebuilt, never mind. But if you painted it after it was rebuilt, I would HIGHLY recommend getting it rebalanced. I'm pretty sure fins touching the INTERIOR of the compressor housing is a recipe for disaster.

Go Before Show, Wakka Wakka, Your Honduh's Effin' Slow!!!
Ask Me about 420A RWD FTW!!!

ModeratorbullettdsmJan-03-11 05:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#108406, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 51
Jan-03-11 05:02 PM by bullettdsm

Originally posted by LD25Delta9
But if you painted it after it was rebuilt, I would HIGHLY recommend getting it rebalanced. I'm pretty sure fins touching the compressor housing are a recipe for disaster.

Oh how could I pass this up; Adam you do realize that the exterior of the housing doesn't spin right, lol?

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

LD25Delta9Jan-04-11 06:12 AM
31 posts,
#108408, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 52
Jan-04-11 06:19 AM by LD25Delta9

What? Blasphemy! There is no interior of a turbo. Only a black hole that feeds on babies! Sorry I did not clarify Mark. I'll make sure to edit that...

No surriously though, in his first round of bronze paint pics, the 2nd pic of the turbo is from the CHRA side of the compressor housing. In that pic, that plate that sits behind the compressor wheel (the silver plate) on the CHRA is laying in the compressor housing, not bolted in, and not attached to the CHRA. This means either the comp wheel or turbine wheel had to come off, right? So it needs balanced, right? Following this train of logic, his isht definitely needs rebalanced IF he painted after the rebuild...

I've heard of guys marking one of the nuts with an offset 5 point star in marker and using a torque wrench to find the proper torque specs, then reusing the nut in the same position. But, I'd rather pay a turbo shop 50 bucks to have it balanced with a fresh nut, specifically ground...

If I missed something, my bad OP, but I looked through your entire thread and I'm surprised no one said anything about this. Last thing I'd hate to read is that you got it together but your turbo blew on the first pull and you sucked a piece of compressor fin into cylinder #1.

CyexmasterJan-04-11 10:56 AM
324 posts,
#108409, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 53

What? Blasphemy! There is no interior of a turbo. Only a black hole that feeds on babies! Sorry I did not clarify Mark. I'll make sure to edit that... No surriously though, in his first round of bronze paint pics, the 2nd pic of the turbo is from the CHRA side of the compressor housing. In that pic, that plate that sits behind the compressor wheel (the silver plate) on the CHRA is laying in the compressor housing, not bolted in, and not attached to the CHRA. This means either the comp wheel or turbine wheel had to come off, right? So it needs balanced, right? Following this train of logic, his isht definitely needs rebalanced IF he painted after the rebuild... I've heard of guys marking one of the nuts with an offset 5 point star in marker and using a torque wrench to find the proper torque specs, then reusing the nut in the same position. But, I'd rather pay a turbo shop 50 bucks to have it balanced with a fresh nut, specifically ground... If I missed something, my bad OP, but I looked through your entire thread and I'm surprised no one said anything about this. Last thing I'd hate to read is that you got it together but your turbo blew on the first pull and you sucked a piece of compressor fin into cylinder #1.

Well you are correct, you did follow good logic and made a correct guess. I did rebuild the turbo but have not balanced it. I actually do not know of anyplace here that does that work. It's a cheap ebay turbo anyway balance should not have been that good to start with so I'm not so worried about it I would rather buy a new turbo than pay 25% or more of what the turbo is worth to have it balanced. But thanxs for your attention...

And now some eye candy here's a shot of the finished DP and mani with black ceramic coat I also heat wraped both but forgot to take pictures.

LD25Delta9Jan-05-11 06:44 AM
31 posts,
#108410, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 54

Just trying to do my part to help man! I'm diggin' the project, though. I can tell you are putting a lot of time and dedication into this and I know first hand that it will all be worth it. What's better is when someone notices the little stuff you've done. i.e. Someone takes a look at your brakes and points out that you sprayed the wells with undercoating. I'm looking forward to video of it firing up!

ModeratorbullettdsmJan-05-11 12:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#108411, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 53

No surriously though, in his first round of bronze paint pics, the 2nd pic of the turbo is from the CHRA side of the compressor housing. In that pic, that plate that sits behind the compressor wheel (the silver plate) on the CHRA is laying in the compressor housing, not bolted in, and not attached to the CHRA. This means either the comp wheel or turbine wheel had to come off, right? So it needs balanced, right? .

Aha!!! I didn't see that pic

Yup, technically if she comes apart, she should be rebalance. And yes I myself have done the "mark the nut" trick and gone without a rebalance, but on a better turbo (14b notwithstanding. Those things you could balance on a balance beam and they'll be fine), they should be professionally rebalanced.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq

LD25Delta9Jan-06-11 12:04 PM
31 posts,
#108413, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 56

Owning Mark and making a point of relevance in one post should get me a point. Just sayin.

So should the OP get the turbo balanced for safety's sake?

ModeratorbullettdsmJan-08-11 07:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#108414, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 57

Owning Mark and making a point of relevance in one post should get me a point. Just sayin. So should the OP get the turbo balanced for safety's sake?

Well "ownage" would be a bit of a strong term for someone not seeing a particular pic (within a bunch of pics), lol. And while I beleive you deserve more points; you know what they say about asking for points, right ? I mean, I'm just saying

As for rebalancing the turbo, yup, she should be rebalanced. BUT honestly, the OP makes a good point in that its just a cheapo E-ghay turbo. I think I would roll the dice as well.

Captain Caveman

LD25Delta9Jan-08-11 09:58 AM
31 posts,
#108415, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 58

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by LD25Delta9 Owning Mark and making a point of relevance in one post should get me a point. Just sayin. So should the OP get the turbo balanced for safety's sake?
Well "ownage" would be a bit of a strong term for someone not seeing a particular pic (within a bunch of pics), lol. And while I beleive you deserve more points; you know what they say about asking for points, right ? I mean, I'm just saying As for rebalancing the turbo, yup, she should be rebalanced. BUT honestly, the OP makes a good point in that its just a cheapo E-ghay turbo. I think I would roll the dice as well.

I agree, with a 6 month shelf life on those things anyways, he's just modifying the bet at this point. The dice have already been rolled.

Thanks for the points.

ModeratorbullettdsmJan-08-11 06:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#108416, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 59

Thanks for the points.

Eric gets a lol from me for the reason! But you do deserve them.

Captain Caveman

CyexmasterJan-10-11 07:35 AM
324 posts,
#108417, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 60

Here are the latest pics:

In the second and last pic you can see the modified water pipe(lower).

My mechanic got the engine running I was not there when it was fired up so I got no vid...

But apparently it's making a noise and he suspects it's a few locked lifters. I did reuse the old stock one's so he's going to check them today to make sure... So I may be looking for new lifter soon, 2.4 one's are the way to go so if anyone has a set let me know in case I need them....

CyexmasterJan-11-11 09:02 AM
324 posts,
#108418, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 61

Well the lifters got loose after a while but now it has another issue...

The car goes into gear but dosent move...! WTF?! It's as if the clutch is spinning freely it has a wierd noise where the clutch is but I guess theres no other way around it but to take the tranny out.

Black_EclipseJan-11-11 11:30 PM
Member since Mar 08th 2010
8 posts,
#108419, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 62

Looks good man. You've definitely put a lot of time and effort into this project with a high attention for detail. I hope you get the clutch issue resolved with minimal cost and get her out on the road cuz that's when it all becomes worth it.

Built and Boosted...but usually broken..'sigh'

CyexmasterJan-12-11 12:12 AM
324 posts,
#108420, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 63

Tranny issue fixed...! Turns out the shims I installed moved the PP so much out it didnt grab the clutch so that's why it didnt move....lol

So it's back on track, theres still the cat back to be put on and the muffler. Also all the intercooler pipes and bov....

Black_EclipseJan-12-11 12:29 AM
Member since Mar 08th 2010
8 posts,
#108421, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 64

Good to hear. Also, you might wanna update your sig seeing as how your well past the drop-in point. lol

Built and Boosted...but usually broken..'sigh'

Shake_ZullaJan-17-11 05:58 PM
Member since Dec 03rd 2010
42 posts,
#108442, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 64

The build looks awesome, everytime I see that valve cover I want it... just in a different color. I didn't know that they could do a color fade with a powder coat, it looks great. Just be sure to break in the engine correctly even though it's been a year... no cheating!

96 RS
95 Toyota pickup - 8" lift, 33's (sold)
07 Toyota tacoma - TRD Sport
13 Ford Fusion

I like logic more when it travels in circles.

CyexmasterJan-17-11 08:25 PM
324 posts,
#108444, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 66

How could I cheat a break-in, is that even possible?

TurbchargdSpydrJan-19-11 01:20 AM
Member since Jul 25th 2010
159 posts,
#108445, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 67

How could I cheat a break-in, is that even possible?

no haha, i wish tho, besides it doesnt take nearly as much time as rebuilding an engine!!

LD25Delta9Jan-21-11 11:26 AM
31 posts,
#108446, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 67

Giggity! Just out of curiosity, what kind of oil are you using to break it in? If you haven't bought your oil already, which I'm sure you have, you should look into Brad Penn race oil...They're as good as, if not better than, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Mobil1, or Lucas. They're cheaper, too...Also, what kind of oil did you put in the trans? I'm just wondering....

I'm stoked to see the first video yo make for this. No Papa Roach!!! Or Avenged Sevenfold, they suck too!!! lulz

Ebster1085Jan-21-11 12:20 PM
531 posts,
#108447, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 69

I would stay away from synthetic for break in. Just go with a reputable brand of 5W -30 motor oil.

What did you use for tranny fluid? I made the switch to Amsoil Synchromesh a while back and love it. Silky smooth.

CyexmasterJan-21-11 05:23 PM
324 posts,
#108448, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 70

Well for the engine I used cheap autozone oil I will change it in like 100 miles or so and the tranny has syncromesh cant' rember the brand the bottle was yellow....

CyexmasterFeb-08-11 09:06 AM
324 posts,
#108495, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 71

Well I already have the car with me it's been 300+ miles the engine purrs like a kitten...lol still working on a few kinks. My missing link took a crap on me so i'm making a maf clamp by myself. Also I'm on the market for a ne FPR would like a Aeromotive one. But other than that all is going well will get vids and pics for you guys soon. Thanxs as always I could not have done it with out the help from the members here and all the info on the forum.

CyexmasterFeb-15-11 11:47 AM
324 posts,
#108515, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 72

Here are a few pics sorry for the quality I took them with my cellphone.

JoshDSMMar-05-12 09:16 PM
Member since Aug 29th 2010
69 posts,
#109201, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 73

I know this is a old thread and I probably will get yelled at for replying, but do you have pics of the finished bay? Curios of ic pipe route as I just got that FMIC for my birthday.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107768 Previous topic | Next topic