Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #106264
View in linear mode

Subject: "Garrett TB2568 Turbo." Previous topic | Next topic
GigabyteApr-22-09 06:01 PM
Member since Mar 12th 2008
29 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#106264, "Garrett TB2568 Turbo."

I have been looking around and doing research on the proper turbo for what I'm looking to put down. And I had my eye set on a T3/T04E to start off my turbo kit build. But today I received a brand new never used or installed still in the box Garrett TB2568 for free. It is a pretty small turbo but I guess is a hair bigger than the 14b and t25. So I started to do some research on this turbo, and while there is not a lot of info out there for it. I do know it comes off of a 2.5l diesel engine (Isuzu), so I figured it would probably be a decent turbo to get in the 200-250whp range on a 420a. I know I wont get no 30 psi out of it but 20 psi should be easy on a built engine.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm still learning about turbochargers. So I will list the specs the best I can that are listed on the turbo itself. What I'm looking for is anybody that knows anything about this turbo, or if anybody would be able to tell me if it is even worth using. I have read that Honda guys use this turbo a lot.

All that is listed on the turbine housing is:
BC2 M27 A/R .48

There is also a little red tag on it that has these numbers:

IAM077519 and 2910094020

If anybody has anymore info on this turbo that what I have posted, I would be grateful for any of it.

On the inside of the T3 flange it says .89

On the Compressor housing it says:
M3 .89 H1 49L

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo., 420agreenvilleSC, Apr-22-09 07:13 PM, #1
RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo., djtrickee, Apr-22-09 07:43 PM, #2
      RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo., Warmage12, Apr-22-09 07:53 PM, #3
      RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo., Gigabyte, Apr-22-09 09:12 PM, #4
      RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo., 420aVenger, Apr-22-09 09:29 PM, #5
      RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo., Mike431635, Apr-23-09 05:03 AM, #6
           RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo., Gigabyte, Apr-23-09 06:23 PM, #7
      RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo., ez, Apr-23-09 06:38 PM, #8
           RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo., Mike431635, Apr-23-09 08:22 PM, #9
                RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo., Warmage12, Apr-23-09 09:14 PM, #10
                RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo., Gigabyte, Apr-24-09 07:15 AM, #11
                RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo., Gigabyte, Apr-24-09 07:23 AM, #12
                     RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo., Slo2g, Apr-24-09 03:57 PM, #13
                          RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo., Gigabyte, Apr-24-09 09:53 PM, #14

420agreenvilleSCApr-22-09 07:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#106265, "RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo."
In response to Reply # 0

i'd say 20psi would be max, but i'm not too familiar w/ that turbo

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

djtrickeeApr-22-09 07:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#106266, "RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo."
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
i'd say 20psi would be max, but i'm not too familiar w/ that turbo

Wow. So I guess you are going with the:
"I know absolutely nothing about the topic but I'm going to make arbitrary and useless suggestions." concept huh!

good call.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Warmage12Apr-22-09 07:53 PM
Member since May 24th 2008
168 posts,
#106267, "RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo."
In response to Reply # 2
Apr-22-09 07:56 PM by Warmage12

T25 is the stock turbo size on most SR20's, atleast anytime i read anything about them. Most SR sites don't recomend going past 17 psi cause the turbo just can't handle anymore. Good solid turbo though, if it is the same as the SR20 then it should be both water and oil cooled. Good for a little over 200hp give or take.

http://www.drift-connection.com/sr20det-specs.php

95 RS sold...

GigabyteApr-22-09 09:12 PM
29 posts,
#106269, "RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo."
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for the replies, yeah I bet I could get in the 200hp range with this turbo. Hopefully I can get the rest of the kit pieced together by this upcoming winter so I can start the install over winter time.

420aVengerApr-22-09 09:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1287 posts,
#106270, "RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by djtrickee
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC i'd say 20psi would be max, but i'm not too familiar w/ that turbo
Wow. So I guess you are going with the: "I know absolutely nothing about the topic but I'm going to make arbitrary and useless suggestions." concept huh! good call.

He's right though. You can run 20 psi on any turbo!

Mike431635Apr-23-09 05:03 AM
Member since Feb 08th 2009
161 posts,
#106271, "RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo."
In response to Reply # 5

Hey, a free turbo is a free turbo. And Garrett doesn't make junk.. I searched high and low for info on this turbo, and all that comes up is that it was used on 2.5L Isuzu's. It should produce enough power to keep you happy for a while at mild boost levels (as in, 8psi or less). But only one way to find out

GigabyteApr-23-09 06:23 PM
29 posts,
#106275, "RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo."
In response to Reply # 6

I have a couple of more questions. Today I aquired a few more parts to my turbo kit. A FMIC off of a 2003 Lancer Evo VIII RS and a BOV off a Lancer Evo VIII MR. They were both free including a Hillman MBC. Will I be able to modify the FMIC and BOV to fit on my car?

ezApr-23-09 06:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#106276, "RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by djtrickee
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC i'd say 20psi would be max, but i'm not too familiar w/ that turbo
Wow. So I guess you are going with the: "I know absolutely nothing about the topic but I'm going to make arbitrary and useless suggestions." concept huh! good call.

And DJ's giving the "I know nothing about the topic either, but that's no reason not to chime in and whoop on someone's guess"

but that's why we all love him

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Mike431635Apr-23-09 08:22 PM
Member since Feb 08th 2009
161 posts,
#106277, "RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo."
In response to Reply # 8

Evo FMIC and bov will definitely work. You will have to remove the bumper support, of course, to fit an IC of that size, but it will fit. I've seen that exact IC on a 2g.

As for the BOV, have the piping flanged for it and it'll work just fine.

Warmage12Apr-23-09 09:14 PM
Member since May 24th 2008
168 posts,
#106278, "RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo."
In response to Reply # 9

npw all you need is a free mani and down pipe and you've almost got a turbo kit for free.

95 RS sold...

GigabyteApr-24-09 07:15 AM
29 posts,
#106280, "RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo."
In response to Reply # 10
Apr-24-09 07:20 AM by Gigabyte

Originally posted by Warmage12
npw all you need is a free mani and down pipe and you've almost got a turbo kit for free.

Yeah, I know I have been so crazy lucky with all the support I have been getting in my community. A lot of very nice, and helpful car guys around here. I even offered money for this stuff and they would not take it.... Weird if you ask me.. But I'm not gonna complain or look a gift horse in the mouth.

But yeah, I need to get a turbo manifold, some more IC piping and charge pipes, wastegate, FMU, fuel pump, and just the rest of the little supporting mods. This is going to be such a cheap turbo kit, especially if I buy good used parts that are cheap lol. Just have to keep my eye out.

GigabyteApr-24-09 07:23 AM
29 posts,
#106281, "RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo."
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by Mike431635
Evo FMIC and bov will definitely work. You will have to remove the bumper support, of course, to fit an IC of that size, but it will fit. I've seen that exact IC on a 2g. As for the BOV, have the piping flanged for it and it'll work just fine.

I knew there would not be enough room for the IC, and was not sure what was required to get it to fit. So your saying I will have to remove the bumper support, maybe cut up my bumper cover some, cut the stock mounts on the IC and have new ones welded on in the spots needed to get the IC to properly mount and fit on my 2g? Sounds like a lot of fun lol.

Slo2gApr-24-09 03:57 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#106282, "RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo."
In response to Reply # 12

If you run 20psi on that turbo you will be way out of the eff. range of that turbo and will be doing nothing but blowing hot air, and you will probably run out of steam on the top end because its a smaller turbo. Nothing wrong with it for a budget build but just know what you are getting into and don't expect it to be more that it is.

GigabyteApr-24-09 09:53 PM
29 posts,
#106285, "RE: Garrett TB2568 Turbo."
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by Slo2g
If you run 20psi on that turbo you will be way out of the eff. range of that turbo and will be doing nothing but blowing hot air, and you will probably run out of steam on the top end because its a smaller turbo. Nothing wrong with it for a budget build but just know what you are getting into and don't expect it to be more that it is.

Heh, sorry to mislead anybody but I never intended to run 20 psi on this turbo. Or 10 psi for that fact.... What you said it though hit the nail on the head. It is a good "budget" turbo since it was free. This turbo will probably never see over 8psi, because when the time comes to see more than that I hope to have a much larger turbo and a built engine, and to build the transmission the best I can. But thanks for the concern

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #106264 Previous topic | Next topic