Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #100195
View in linear mode

Subject: "FMIC piping install pics" Previous topic | Next topic
.bs0dJun-20-07 03:45 AM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100195, "FMIC piping install pics"

Hey guys, I searched the forums for some threads on FMIC piping, how it is routed and pics and everything. Ton's of threads came up, but most are old and have broken links.

So I'd like to start a new thread on how some of you guys run your piping. I have an XS Power IC with connections on both ends, I 've seen some that have both connections on one side - those pics wont help me out much.

I bring this up because it looks like its going to be a very tight fit. Im also doing the 97 front end conversion, and it looks like the foglights will get in the way? Any issues of dealing with this?

It won't be too long and i'll post up my pic's of everything. Thanks for your help.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: FMIC piping install pics, totaleclipse_05, May-20-07 02:34 PM, #1
RE: FMIC piping install pics, .bs0d, May-20-07 03:03 PM, #2
      RE: FMIC piping install pics, totaleclipse_05, May-20-07 03:16 PM, #3
           RE: FMIC piping install pics, Moderatorcs82685, May-20-07 04:44 PM, #4
           RE: FMIC piping install pics, totaleclipse_05, May-20-07 04:54 PM, #5
                RE: FMIC piping install pics, .bs0d, May-20-07 06:12 PM, #6
                RE: FMIC piping install pics, kedaigle, Jun-18-07 07:36 PM, #7
                     RE: FMIC piping install pics, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-18-07 10:35 PM, #8
                RE: FMIC piping install pics, .bs0d, Jun-21-07 02:06 PM, #16
                     RE: FMIC piping install pics, totaleclipse_05, Jun-24-07 05:20 AM, #18
                          RE: FMIC piping install pics, ivan300, Jun-24-07 08:10 AM, #19
           RE: FMIC piping install pics, totaleclipse_05, Jun-19-07 12:03 PM, #9
                RE: FMIC piping install pics, Moderatorcs82685, Jun-19-07 05:03 PM, #10
                     RE: FMIC piping install pics, totaleclipse_05, Jun-19-07 05:39 PM, #11
                          RE: FMIC piping install pics, Moderatorcs82685, Jun-20-07 04:04 AM, #12
                               RE: FMIC piping install pics, totaleclipse_05, Jun-20-07 05:36 AM, #13
                                    RE: FMIC piping install pics, .bs0d, Jun-20-07 06:02 AM, #14
                                         RE: FMIC piping install pics, totaleclipse_05, Jun-20-07 06:43 AM, #15
                                              RE: FMIC piping install pics, RfOeCnKdOeNr, Jun-24-07 05:15 AM, #17
                                                   RE: FMIC piping install pics, .bs0d, Jun-24-07 04:09 PM, #20
                                                        RE: FMIC piping install pics, Moderatorcs82685, Jun-24-07 04:27 PM, #21
                                                             RE: FMIC piping install pics, .bs0d, Jun-24-07 05:01 PM, #22
                                                                  RE: FMIC piping install pics, .bs0d, Nov-01-08 12:36 PM, #23
                                                                       RE: FMIC piping install pics, john97es, Nov-15-08 10:18 AM, #24

totaleclipse_05May-20-07 02:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100196, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 0

What size intercooler do you have?

Here are some pics of my first FMIC install. It's basically a hit-or-miss type deal with cutting piping, but this should give you an idea of what type of angles and whatnot is needed.

90* coupler off of IC inlet and 90* pipe connected to that.

Another shot of the 90* pipe. (I eventually had to add some length to this pipe to get it farther down)

I believe this was a 60* pipe connected to a reducer coupler onto the turbo.

Other side of IC, 90* coupler on outlet connected to a short 90* pipe (basically I cut the bend only from the pipe they included).

Straight pipe to bring it up toward the TB area (I had my BOV flange welded to this pipe as well).

I reused my AEM short-ram pipe for this top section to connect it to the TB, but you could probably use a 45* pipe with a 90* coupler off the TB to connect them also.

I should really put this in a writeup sometime because I always post these pics whenever someone asks about IC piping routing haha.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

.bs0dMay-20-07 03:03 PM
597 posts,
#100197, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 1

Awesome, thanks.

Keep them coming guys if you've got the spare time to dig up some pics.

totaleclipse_05May-20-07 03:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#100198, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 2

OK, did it cause I'm bored:

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Custom_eBay_IC_Install_with_Pipe_Routing

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

Moderatorcs82685May-20-07 04:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#100199, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 3

Here's another setup, you probably wouldn't want to do this because your inlet is on the side not the top (this is the itty bitty FMIC that came with the star kit.) I don't like that I have to have the front support removed for this, but since the car isn't daily driven it's ok. If you compare this routing though to pictures of other star intercooler setups you will notice that this is a shorter route and requires some cutting to make work

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

totaleclipse_05May-20-07 04:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#100202, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 4

Here's another setup of my friend's FMIC. His inlet on the left side was pointing upwards so it's routed similar to the STAR kit's.

Mike D

.bs0dMay-20-07 06:12 PM
597 posts,
#100207, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 5

cool, this is great stuff

kedaigleJun-18-07 07:36 PM
Member since Nov 21st 2006
10 posts,
#100536, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 6

here's my set-up.

Made it big 4 times to only have it taken away. Number five and waiting...

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-18-07 10:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#100537, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 7

There is a Wiki on the main site begging for this stuff.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

.bs0dJun-21-07 02:06 PM
597 posts,
#100560, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by totaleclipse_05
Here's another setup of my friend's FMIC. His inlet on the left side was pointing upwards so it's routed similar to the STAR kit's.

How the heck are you suppose to put your front bumper on with the pipe coming across the top like that?

Also, did anyone trim their front bumpers to aid in fitment? I have a 97 front bumper and the air ducts on either side interfere with the piping. *Note: Im installing with the figlights and brackets.

One more thing, did anyone cut the brace that goes down the front so that the FMIC can set flush aginst the car?

totaleclipse_05Jun-24-07 05:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#100570, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by .bs0d
How the heck are you suppose to put your front bumper on with the pipe coming across the top like that?

It bumper cover slides on perfectly. You don't install the 5 mph bumper though.

Originally posted by .bs0d
Also, did anyone trim their front bumpers to aid in fitment? I have a 97 front bumper and the air ducts on either side interfere with the piping. *Note: Im installing with the figlights and brackets. One more thing, did anyone cut the brace that goes down the front so that the FMIC can set flush aginst the car?

I think everyone who puts on a FMIC has to trim their bumper (except maybe for the STAR fmic). I know a guy who just installed a Hahn fmic and he will have to cut his bumper to make it fit on there good.

Mike D

ivan300Jun-24-07 08:10 AM
Member since Dec 15th 2006
103 posts,
#100571, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 18

treadstone fmic

99 Eclipse GS(with Turbo),Turbonetics 60-1 0.63a/r, MS II v3, 3" Turbo back exhaust, GSX Brakes, Wiseco 8.8:1 Pistons, Eagle Rods, Crane 14s, SS Valves, Felpro Gasket Kit, Obx Lsd, Southbend Fe Clutch, Ebay Short Shifter, Pioneer Avic-N3, 12" Alpine Type-R

totaleclipse_05Jun-19-07 12:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#100540, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by DarkOne
There is a Wiki on the main site begging for this stuff.

OK, did it cause I'm bored: http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Custom_eBay_IC_Install_with_Pipe_Routing

Already ahead of you

Mike D

Moderatorcs82685Jun-19-07 05:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#100542, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by DarkOne There is a Wiki on the main site begging for this stuff.
Originally posted by totaleclipse_05 OK, did it cause I'm bored: http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Custom_eBay_IC_Install_with_Pipe_Routing
Already ahead of you

GOod write-up, added a link in your write-up to this thread so people reading it can find other pictures/setups also.

totaleclipse_05Jun-19-07 05:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#100544, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by cs82685
GOod write-up, added a link in your write-up to this thread so people reading it can find other pictures/setups also.

Awesome, this all should help out a lot of people when they are routing piping and getting ideas.

Mike D

Moderatorcs82685Jun-20-07 04:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#100549, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 11
Jun-20-07 04:08 AM by cs82685

Found another pic to add to the mix, courtesy of one of mreigle's posts in another thread

totaleclipse_05Jun-20-07 05:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#100550, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 12

I was bored again lol:

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=2GNT_Member_FMIC_Setups

Mike D

.bs0dJun-20-07 06:02 AM
597 posts,
#100551, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 13

This is great, and thanks. Im cutting my pipe today- once I get it all on, I will post my setup as well.

totaleclipse_05Jun-20-07 06:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#100552, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 14

I am going to be putting another fmic on my eclipse in the next couple weeks and the piping is all off of the car so I will take some better pictures of how it is all routed so people can better see lengths of piping, etc.

Mike D

RfOeCnKdOeNrJun-24-07 05:15 AM
Member since Jul 18th 2006
259 posts,
#100569, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 15

Man, I wish this post was up a few weeks earlier I would have taken some great pictures.

.bs0dJun-24-07 04:09 PM
597 posts,
#100572, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 17

Ok, so here are my pics of the install. My situation is slightly different than others with the reverse turbo

Moderatorcs82685Jun-24-07 04:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#100573, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 20

Always nice to see different setups. Now you need a stillen bumper so that intercooler fills up the entire front opening of the bumper. It's ok, my core is small too At least it doesn't look like your part of the crooked intercooler club

.bs0dJun-24-07 05:01 PM
597 posts,
#100575, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 21

yea i just slapped on the front bumper, its not fully hooked up, just the screws on the top so I can take it off and on. Just need my downpipe fabricated and im ready to roll, son!

.bs0dNov-01-08 12:36 PM
597 posts,
#104593, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 22

I ditched the reverse setup. But I still have the 'side to side' FMIC. Those who run that, how do you route the piping?

Is it ok if it crosses the downpipe?

john97esNov-15-08 10:18 AM
Member since Jul 11th 2007
18 posts,
#104670, "RE: FMIC piping install pics"
In response to Reply # 23

my s16g is clocked so my piping comes straight down, theres a 90 degree bend towards the passenger side

after the bend towards the passenger side, it 180's around the rad. support to the intercooler

after the intercooler, it 180's back around the rad support, and starts to go upward

after that it takes about a 75 degree bend upwards, then 45 degree towards the throttle body, and then finally a wide 90 degree bend into the throttle body

Dont mind the surface rust on the welds. I need to pull the pipes off, and repaint them...

built and boosted 420a avenger

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #100195 Previous topic | Next topic