Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #901
View in linear mode

Subject: "I fixed it .. but one other problem..." Previous topic | Next topic
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-12-01 11:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#901, "I fixed it .. but one other problem..."

I fixed my car. I was right, it was the seal at the fuel pump causing it to not build up enough fuel pressure. it runs fine now, but with one small problem: it boosts too high. I have (or should have) a 7 lb. spring in my wastegate, but for some damn reason i'm seeing the thing boost to over 10PSI! What can i do? i don't want to blow the thing up (14PSI sure is nice) but is it possible for me to turn down the boost ? how do i adjust the wastegate ? Do i turn the set screw down, or up ? It might be that the thing is misadjusted and screwed shut and that the wastegate never opens, which would explain why i saw it hit 15PSI earlier, but if that's not it, can i bitch at Wyatt for sending me the wrong wastegate spring ? LoL .. looks like mine actually IS bigger, yo..

-DarkOne
I'm so bad, i should be in detention.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..., Dave16gt, Jan-12-01 12:09 PM, #1
RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..., TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-12-01 02:19 PM, #2
RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..., MWC, Jan-12-01 02:28 PM, #3
      RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..., TeamWyatt, Jan-12-01 03:04 PM, #4
           wyatt i might need another spring, 95ESi, Jan-12-01 05:37 PM, #6
           RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..., TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-12-01 07:24 PM, #7
RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-12-01 03:39 PM, #5
      RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..., 95ESi, Jan-12-01 09:34 PM, #8
           RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..., BoostnRS, Jan-13-01 05:58 PM, #9
                RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..., Hoot, Jan-14-01 11:23 AM, #10
                     Thanks Hoot :), TeamWyatt, Jan-15-01 03:35 PM, #11

Dave16gtJan-12-01 12:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
38 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#902, "RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hey, ive been having the same problems as you if you remember. Ive been away for a week and didnt look at my car. What did you do with seal at the fuel pump to fix the problem? Just replace the thing? And did you do anything else? Thanks

Dave

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamJeff_99gsJan-12-01 02:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#903, "RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..."
In response to Reply # 1

MBC brand new $50-$80. That makes sure that you won't overboost. Certainly worth the relatively low cost.
"Happiness comes from peace of mind"

Jeff

http://gs.dsmpower.com

MWCJan-12-01 02:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
251 posts,
#904, "RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..."
In response to Reply # 2

I do not beleive a MBC will help if the waste gate is at its minumum boost level.
SEE YA!!!!!!!!MWC

TeamWyattJan-12-01 03:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#905, "RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..."
In response to Reply # 3

MWS is right, a BC can only be set to the minimum amoutn of boost, meaning it can't flow MORE pressue to the wastegate so it stays open longer, just bleed boost off to keep it closed.
Check your e-mail, It might be the adjustment screw, if its screwed ALL the way down then your car will keep boosting to infinity, thats how I blew my motor. If its the wrong spring I don't know what to say, I'll have to get you anotehr one
I have't heard of them being incorrect before. They are put together by the manufacturer so but its not big deal to swap it. Let me know, I can have anotehr spring to you pretty quick
Wyatt Leras
http://www.turbogs.dsmpower.com
98 Eclipse GS Star Stage 5,000 Turbo kit

95ESiJan-12-01 05:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#906, "wyatt i might need another spring"
In response to Reply # 4

I might need a lighter spring cause I have a feeling my WASTEGATE has the heavier spring..

l e o n

TeamJeff_99gsJan-12-01 07:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#907, "RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..."
In response to Reply # 4

Ah, ok...I misunderstood the problem...
Well at least one solution has been found. Its encouraging to know that you found out what was wrong before your engine self-detonated.

Jeff

http://gs.dsmpower.com

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-12-01 03:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#908, "RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..."
In response to Reply # 1

All my problem turned out to be was a bad seal at the fuel pump. Then rubber o-ring was missinstalled. Instead of being placed back in the feed line, it was pushed halfway down the nipple on the fuel pump, and couldn't maintain a seal. It was hard to start because it couldn't build any fuel pressure, which was also causing it to sputter at wide throttle as well as probably running it extremely lean. I reinstalled it inside the fuel feed line (where it would properly mate with the aluminium tip of fuel pump) and that did the trick. Did you do your own fuel pump install, or did someone else do it for you ? it might be worth checking out.

-DarkOne
I'm so bad, i should be in detention.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

95ESiJan-12-01 09:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#909, "RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..."
In response to Reply # 5

Hey Darkone, what exactly were the problems and signs you saw of this problem? I want to know what to look out for in case my fuel pump seal is leaking...

I've floored my car with just the fuel pump (no turbo on yet at that time) and it seems to move ok...so, I dunno... :o

l e o n

BoostnRSJan-13-01 05:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
#910, "RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..."
In response to Reply # 8

Wyatt,
Im not sure if im understanding what you are saying about the wastegate and the Boost controller not being able to flow more?

The way i took that was the if you have a 7psi spring you cannot boost more than 7psi with a Boost Controller.. (is that what you meant?)
If thats the case I was boosting 12psi on a 7psi spring. (Spring was backed out all the way.. + used Profec-B to set boost @ 12psi

did i miss interpret something ?

HootJan-14-01 11:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
106 posts,
#911, "RE: I fixed it .. but one other problem..."
In response to Reply # 9

if i may...

he meant that if you have a 7 lb. spring, a boost controller cannot do anything to let you boost less. a boost controller will *ONLY* allow you to boost more than your spring's rating.

TeamWyattJan-15-01 03:35 PM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#912, "Thanks Hoot :)"
In response to Reply # 10

Sorry, message was a little hard to understand but Hoot cleared it up
Wyatt Leras
http://www.turbogs.dsmpower.com
98 Eclipse GS Star Stage 5,000 Turbo kit

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #901 Previous topic | Next topic