Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #8915
View in linear mode

Subject: "Turbo Kit Fuel Management ?" Previous topic | Next topic
SquidNov-06-01 02:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8915, "Turbo Kit Fuel Management ?"

I don’t have a kit, nor do I intend to get a kit in the foreseeable future (just too damn poor, f___ing student loans); I’m just curious.

How do the kits deal with the increase fuel demand when boosted? The ECU isn’t designed to deal with boost. I can’t find any useful info on HRC’s page.

Thanks,
-J

-J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-06-01 04:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8916, "RE: Turbo Kit Fuel Management ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Boost regulated fuel pressure riser, and set ratio rise rates to take advantage of certain injectors sizes.

For stock injectors, use 12:1. This equates to 12 added pounds of fuel pressure for every pound of boost.

For Mitsubishi Technical Manuals, INCLUDING the 97-99 electrical and service manuals, click HERE:
http://www.heavenz-not-0verflowing.com/files/
No MP3 for YOU!

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

thedawgNov-06-01 07:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#8917, "RE: Turbo Kit Fuel Management ?"
In response to Reply # 1

The HRC kit has a little black electronic box about the size of a 9V battery that goes next to the FPR. I'm going to assume this box contains a glorified diode that prevents the ECU from seeing boost. (It lets negative manifold pressure voltages thru but once it hits 0V, it won't let positive voltage thru, so the ECU doesn't know there's any boost.)

Someone help me out, but I think the big fuel pump and Adj. FPR take over the excess fuel needs manually from there?

Dan Green
99'RS-T

SquidNov-07-01 02:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
#8918, "RE: Turbo Kit Fuel Management ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Well, I was reading Wyatt's page and it said the MAP sensor voltage has to be clipped at 4.7V, that's probably what that little box is. HRC's website doesn't go into any details as to what their "electronic mods" are.

So if I understand this correctly the ECU regulates the fuel as it normally does while in vacuum. It regulates the fuel by keeping a constant fuel pressure but changing the % duty cycle of the injectors. Once you hit 0 vacuum the MAP sensor voltage is clipped; the ECU keeps the % duty cycle on the injectors more or less the same, but the fuel pressure begins to rise at a proportional rate to the boost.

Is this correct?

Is this all that comes in the kits:
Exhaust manifold
Turbo
Wastegate (external on Star kit, internal on HRC)
BOV
Airfilter
Intercooler (stage II)
Fuel pump
Fuel pressure regulator (rises with boost)
MAP sensor voltage regulator or whatever you want to call it
All the tubing, piping, couplings, and hardware needed to hold everything together

Almost sounds simple.

-J

thedawgNov-07-01 03:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#8919, "RE: Turbo Kit Fuel Management ?"
In response to Reply # 3

Add boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge, and yeah, that's about it for stage II. It IS pretty simple. Just expensive

Dan Green
99'RS-T

TeamJeff_99gsNov-10-01 05:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#8920, "RE: Turbo Kit Fuel Management ?"
In response to Reply # 4

add a downpipe too.

Full 2.5 for the Star and a smaller pipe that attaches to the stock dp for HRC.

-Jeff
1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T'd and HRC'd

http://gs.dsmpower.com

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #8915 Previous topic | Next topic