Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 6 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #75737
View in linear mode

Subject: "Turbo makes wierd noise" Previous topic | Next topic
BlueMach5Aug-31-04 08:28 PM
Member since Jul 14th 2002
115 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#75737, "Turbo makes wierd noise"

Ok, this is odd, my turbo makes a weird (hard to describe) sound like if you put a poker card in between a bicycle tire, its faily high pitch. I am getting PLENTY of oil to the turbo. As soon as I have been driving in the 1200 degree temp range for about 5 minutes it sounds like it did before...when I take off WHHOOOOSSSHHHH

But then I will sit at a stop like for the duration of 2-5 minutes enough for the turbo to cool down and it starts all over again its rather annoying. The fins arent bent, and if there was no oil I would have fried the turbo long ago....wtf HELP

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Turbo makes wierd noise, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-31-04 12:44 PM, #1
RE: Turbo makes wierd noise, Ducking_Fumbass, Aug-31-04 02:49 PM, #2
      RE: Turbo makes wierd noise, MrSlick, Aug-31-04 05:13 PM, #3
           RE: Turbo makes wierd noise, BlueMach5, Sep-02-04 04:16 AM, #4
                RE: Turbo makes wierd noise, MrSlick, Sep-02-04 04:19 AM, #5
                     RE: Turbo makes wierd noise, Ducking_Fumbass, Sep-02-04 04:47 AM, #6
                          RE: Turbo makes wierd noise, Teametx, Sep-02-04 04:54 AM, #7
                               RE: Turbo makes wierd noise, MrSlick, Sep-02-04 05:31 AM, #8
                                    RE: Turbo makes wierd noise, Teametx, Sep-02-04 05:50 AM, #9
                                         RE: Turbo makes wierd noise, Ducking_Fumbass, Sep-02-04 05:52 AM, #10
                                              RE: Turbo makes wierd noise, MrSlick, Sep-02-04 06:28 AM, #11

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-31-04 12:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#75738, "RE: Turbo makes wierd noise"
In response to Reply # 0

Make sure the fins aren't touching the housing.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Ducking_FumbassAug-31-04 02:49 PM
Member since Aug 30th 2004
1147 posts,
#75747, "RE: Turbo makes wierd noise"
In response to Reply # 1

Kaching kaching kaching... sounds like your wheels are hungry. Yummy housings!

MrSlickAug-31-04 05:13 PM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
1120 posts,
#75763, "RE: Turbo makes wierd noise"
In response to Reply # 2

Start saving for a new turbo... then go check for side to side play on the comp wheel...
Could always be play on the exhaust side too... that's actually more common...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

http://www.ms-custom.com

BlueMach5Sep-02-04 04:16 AM
Member since Jul 14th 2002
115 posts,
#75886, "RE: Turbo makes wierd noise"
In response to Reply # 3

Yeah It only does it untill I get over 1200 degrees. Its newly rebuilt turbo wtf. its brand new...I did notice there is a tiny bit of shaft play not more than a 1/16 of an inch...

MrSlickSep-02-04 04:19 AM
1120 posts,
#75889, "RE: Turbo makes wierd noise"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by BlueMach5
Yeah It only does it untill I get over 1200 degrees. Its newly rebuilt turbo wtf. its brand new...I did notice there is a tiny bit of shaft play not more than a 1/16 of an inch...

Sorry to tell you but 1/16 of an inch is too much...
And I don't give a shit if it's a brand new turbo... so was mine, didn't stop it from saying goodnight now did it?

What's more than likelly happening is that once the oil temp rises to normal level the viscosity of the oil at that time helps the turbo shaft float in it's bearings a little better, and so you don't get any contact.

If you can feel your shaft play... then you've prolly got too much.

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

Ducking_FumbassSep-02-04 04:47 AM
1147 posts,
#75894, "RE: Turbo makes wierd noise"
In response to Reply # 5

Lee, quit playing with your shaft, you wanker.

TeametxSep-02-04 04:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#75897, "RE: Turbo makes wierd noise"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Ducking_Fumbass
Lee, quit playing with your shaft, you wanker.

Would ya fancy a wank, Lee?

MrSlickSep-02-04 05:31 AM
1120 posts,
#75902, "RE: Turbo makes wierd noise"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by etx
Originally posted by Ducking_Fumbass Lee, quit playing with your shaft, you wanker.

That depends, are you going to do it? Or your gf... I much prefer it when she does it...

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

TeametxSep-02-04 05:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#75905, "RE: Turbo makes wierd noise"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by MrSlick
Originally posted by etx
Originally posted by Ducking_Fumbass Lee, quit playing with your shaft, you wanker.
That depends, are you going to do it? Or your gf... I much prefer it when she does it...

Piiiiiiiiiiiiffffffff.

Ducking_FumbassSep-02-04 05:52 AM
1147 posts,
#75906, "RE: Turbo makes wierd noise"
In response to Reply # 9

Come on, Lee, we all know that Buttboy doesn't have a GF. Why else would he offer you a wank?

MrSlickSep-02-04 06:28 AM
1120 posts,
#75908, "RE: Turbo makes wierd noise"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Ducking_Fumbass
Come on, Lee, we all know that Buttboy doesn't have a GF. Why else would he offer you a wank?

Good point my friend... good point.

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #75737 Previous topic | Next topic