Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 5 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #699
View in linear mode

Subject: "Blow by and compression test results" Previous topic | Next topic
manekJan-04-01 09:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
31 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#699, "Blow by and compression test results"

well i've been getting serious blow by (oil shooting out of crank case filter) for about a month now........went and had a compression test........all my cylinders are getting between 170-175, except cyl #3 which got 50!!!!!!!!!!! they said it could be a bad/bent valve. going in for a compression leak test to dtermine what is causing the low compression. a bad valve wouldn't cause blow by would it? are you guys getting excessive amounts of oil out of your crank case filter?? i mean if i punch it hard it will drinch my battery (area) with oil.......if a valve is the reason for my low compression but doesn't fix the blow by i'm just going to run a tube from the crank case breather and tap into my oil return line from the turbo.....should be easy.

anthony Star II (E)........

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Blow by and compression test results, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-04-01 11:14 AM, #1
RE: Blow by and compression test results, TeamStan2gnt, Jan-04-01 02:36 PM, #2
RE: Blow by and compression test results, manek, Jan-04-01 11:04 PM, #3
RE: Blow by and compression test results, Nemizis, Jan-05-01 12:43 AM, #4
RE: Manek, BoostnRS, Jan-05-01 08:44 AM, #5
RE: Manek, manek, Jan-05-01 11:50 PM, #6

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-04-01 11:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#700, "RE: Blow by and compression test results"
In response to Reply # 0

Dude, sounds like worn rings at the least, perhaps a bad head gasket. The oil part, though.... that really sounds like a cracked piston. Sorry, dude, but i may be right there with ya before too long I can't seem go get my ride tuned right

-DarkOne
I'm so bad, i should be in detention.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamStan2gntJan-04-01 02:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#701, "RE: Blow by and compression test results"
In response to Reply # 0

Is anything coming out your tailpipe? Can you hear any noises?

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

manekJan-04-01 11:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
31 posts,
#702, "RE: Blow by and compression test results"
In response to Reply # 2

nothing is coming out of tail pipe out of the ordinary, when i punch the throttle nothing really comes out of exhaust.....idle seems fine for the most part once my engine warms up....

anthony 3cyl turbo baby

NemizisJan-05-01 12:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
35 posts,
#703, "RE: Blow by and compression test results"
In response to Reply # 0

Join the club man, I'm in the mix of fixing my car with the same symptom. It started subtle on day, felt like the car was lobing like it was cammed up or something, by that night I noticed smoke coming from around the hood, took a look and oil was blown everywhere from my valve cover breather filter. I had 170psi on all except for 70psi from cylinder 1. After paying em nearly $400 just to rip it apart to see what was wrong with it, it turns out it was a crushed piston ring land (the groove where the piston ring sits inside the piston). So I'll put my money on thats the problem. Actually its easy to eliminate valves as a possible cause, just put some oil into cylinder 3, if the compression raises (temporarly), then its the piston (or rings), not the valves. Hopefully your cylinder wall isnt damaged, mine was lightly scratched but can just be honed out. If your gonna upgrade the pistons (mine as well while its ripped apart)remember HRC (JE) pistons are require you to bore .020 over stock. Today Im calling JE and 2 other places that make custom pistons to see about making them to my car's specs/current measurements. (its cheaper than having your block bored unless you do all the labor work yourself) Well hope this helps, anymore info I find out Ill let you know if ya need it, goodluck...

BoostnRSJan-05-01 08:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
#704, "RE: Manek"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey sorry to hear about your motor !!
I was just curious.. How much boost were you running ??

thanks!

manekJan-05-01 11:50 PM
Old School 2GNTer
31 posts,
#705, "RE: Manek"
In response to Reply # 5

i just recently turned it up to about 8lbs of boost since i finally put my centerforce DF clutch in.......now this. before clutch i could only run aobut 5lbs......

anthony 3cyl turbo.......blah

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #699 Previous topic | Next topic