Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #37836
View in linear mode

Subject: "Vortech S-FMU users..." Previous topic | Next topic
thegameJan-23-03 03:56 AM
Member since Oct 08th 2002
1311 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37836, "Vortech S-FMU users..."

I plan on getting the Hahn stage 2 w/fmic. Stock internals. Stock injectors. I have been convinced to get the S-FMU.
Now.... what else do I need?
Bleed valve?
Hard spring? (I heard it comes with it now, is this true?)
Should I get the adaptor kit from Vortech?
What settings should I set it at?
Are there numbers on the unit? Or do you just guess where its at?
What disk?
What do I need to hook it up? I will have 2 fuel pressure gauges. One in the inside (electrical), and one in the engine (mechanical).
Anything else to add or say?

I know this has been discussed before... but I havent found exactly what I need to know. Thanks alot, Brad

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

thegameJan-24-03 02:18 AM
Member since Oct 08th 2002
1311 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37905, "RE: Vortech S-FMU users..."
In response to Reply # 0

someone has to know these....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

96vengerJan-24-03 06:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
388 posts,
#37916, "RE: Vortech S-FMU users..."
In response to Reply # 1

Well if you are only doing the stage II, I don't think you would need the bleed valve, You DO need the Dark colored hard spring (which I think now comes with the SFMU)
I can't remember which disc you should use I think it is the 4.72 or 4.something....
having a FP gauge in the car and in the engine bay will be pretty helpful.
That is about it as far as getting the SFMU to work, I am sure you will need a couple fittings to install it but you will figure that out when you try to install it.
It comes with a prety good manual, or you can find it on www.vortecsupercharger.com (BTW not sure if that is the correct web site):P

Mark Dollar
Stage 3-4 Turbo
See my White Avenger @
WWW.Armond30.com

KTECLIPSEJan-24-03 07:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
537 posts,
#37921, "RE: Vortech S-FMU users..."
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-24-03 07:11 AM by KTECLIPSE

Here is some information about my setup. I am running a similar setup:

HRC Stage II with Side Mount Intercooler
Stock Injectors
Stock Internals
Vortech SFMU
Greddy Type S BOV
Missing Link

Vortech Setup:
3.62 Disk Installed
Optional Hard Spring (Part Number is below)
Idle Pressure = 55 psi
WOT Pressure = 120 psi

>Bleed valve?

The bleed valve that comes with the cartech fuel pressure regulator (HRC's supplied regulator) fits directly in the vortech unit so you would not have to buy the bleed valve from vortech. I am not using the optional bleed valve in my setup as the car is running fine. The bleed vavle is generally used to fine tune (reduce fuel pressure by bleeding the excess back to the fuel tank) WOT fuel pressure if the car is running pig rich under boost.

>Hard spring? (I heard it comes with it now, is this true?)

The hard spring does not come with the Vortech SFMU. The votech comes with two springs a long silver spring and a shorter redish-black spring that is often confused with the hard spring. The hard spring is for sale from vortech for $7.00 with the part #Part #7X100-050. I do use this optional spring in my setup.

>Should I get the adaptor kit from Vortech?

You will have to find some fittings for the Vortech unit. The vortech unit has -6 JIC fittings. The adapter kit they sell converts them to -4 SAE fittings. I personally had access to a machine shop where I made the flare fitting on the -6 JIC fitting flat and then drilled and tapped the -6 JIC to fit regular NPT hose barbs.

>What settings should I set it at?

For a Stage II system, HRC recommends between 47-55 psi at idle and 115+ fuel pressures under full boost (WOT). I have my idle set at 55 psi (playing it safe, our cars like to run rich anyways) and see about 120 psi at WOT.

>Are there numbers on the unit? Or do you just guess where its
>at?

If you are talking about the numbers meaning markings on the disks to determine their size - there are none. You simply measure the disks diameter. There are four disks (the largest disk is install by Vortech by default) - 2.22", 2.47", 2.72", 3.62".

If you are talking about fuel pressure at idle, do not guess. You want to be absolute positive about your fuel pressures. You can use the fuel pressure gauge supplied by HRC to determine your pressure settings. See below for more information.

>What disk?

The vortech SFMU comes with four disks (three rings as the largest disk does not use a ring) - 2.22, 2.47, 2.72, and 3.62. By factory default, the SFMU is shipped with the 3.62 disk installed. To achieve HRC stage II recommend fuel pressures, use the 3.62 disk and hard spring.

>What do I need to hook it up? I will have 2 fuel pressure
>gauges. One in the inside (electrical), and one in the engine
>(mechanical).

I mounted it in the same place as the cartech but did not use any mounting brackets. The vortech SFMU is slightly larger than the cartech and sits perfectly in the space right below the cruise control servo. It is a nice tight fit and the cruise control servo holds the SFMU right in place (the vortech unit can not go anywhere).

I have a 96 Eclipse GS that does not have the original FPR on the fuel rail. My old FPR was under the car near the fuel tank (passenger side wheel). I followed the instructions that came with the HRC kit and removed the Schrader check valve from the fuel rail, attached the hose barb fitting, and the fuel injection hose. Now this is where it gets different.

Additional Parts:
- 3 foot 1/4" fuel hose
- 1/4 NPT Tee with 3 1/4" NPT to 1/4" Hose Barb Fittings
- 1/4 NPT Pipe Plug (this came with the Hahn Kit)
- The Vortech SFMU has -6 JIC fittings so you will either need to buy two conversion fittings (one for the IN and one for the OUT on the vortech) that has -6 JIC Female to NPT (The -6 JIC will go into the vortech). I did not buy the fittings as I had access to a machine shop. I simply removed the flare from one side of the -6 JIC fitting to make it flat, drilled it out to slightly smaller than 1/4", and then threaded the inside of the fitting to 1/4" NPT. This allowed me to attached 1/4" NPT 1/4" Hose Barb fittings.

Installation:

After running the hose from the fuel rail I attached the other end of the 1/4" fuel hose to the 1/4" Hose barb fitting on the tee. I then ran the other end of the tee to the IN on the Vortech SFMU. You now have one more port on tee to use to connect to the fuel pressure gauge from Hahn. You can then run the fuel pressure gauge under the hood an onto the front windshield for testing (just latch the hood, do not close it as it will pinch the fuel hose). Here is a picture to clear it up. You will also have to run the out of the Vortech SFMU to your return line to the tank. Remember to use teflon paste fo a leak free seal and to plug the tee once testing is complete.

P.S. Moderators, just an idea but maybe this writeup should be moved to the things we've seen before thread as many questions have been written about the Vortech SFMU. I've tried to cover all the questions that could possibly be brought up about this product (maybe there already is a SFMU write up??).

If anyone spots any errors, please correct me or add additional information.

Hope this helps,
Kurt

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #37836 Previous topic | Next topic