Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107033
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need some opinions on my setup" Previous topic | Next topic
eclipserstturboAug-10-09 02:29 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107033, "Need some opinions on my setup"

I have a 98 RS-T that blew the motor about 8 months ago. Finally have the time to start building it the way I want it. I've got an idea of where I want it to be when I'm finished, but I value your opinions so I'm open for suggestions. Currently I have the head and block torn completely down. I've got a set of Forged Wiseco .020" over pistons on the way. Working on getting a set of Forged Eagle H-Beams soon. Then it's to the machine shop.

Okay so here's my goal. Run low boost (around 5lbs) during break in and until I get the rest of my fuel upgrades. Then I want to kick it up to about 10lbs, and maybe 15 after about 8-10 months of that. The car has a Ebay T3/T4 turbo, log style manifold, external wastegate with a 5lb spring in it now ( I also have a 3lb and 7-8lb spring), 10:1 FMU, Synapse missing link, Walbro 255, FMIC, TurboXS BOV, and a GlowShift boost gauge. That is what I'll be running it on for a couple months.

Here's what I'm going to get to run 10lbs:
340cc Injectors, AEM Wideband, EGT Gauge, Apexi SAFC, Greddy Turbo Timer, Electronic FCD, EGR blockoff, I'm removing the 10:1 FMU and I'm going to install my adjustable FPR that I found a few days ago that I forgot I bought.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. If I left something out feel free to add it.

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

420agreenvilleSCAug-10-09 05:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107034, "RE: Need some opinions on my setup"
In response to Reply # 0

do it right. it's not very expensive to forge a 420a bottom end these days.

eagle rods
wiseco or JE pistons
crane/crower valve springs

then continue with other turbo goodies. Might as well make is less resistant to breakage while you're "thinking" about upping the boost. Sounds like you're eager to blow it. treat her right, and she'll work for years.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

djtrickeeAug-11-09 09:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#107036, "RE: Need some opinions on my setup"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
do it right. it's not very expensive to forge a 420a bottom end these days. eagle rods wiseco or JE pistons

Did you even bother to read the OP's post?

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Moderatorcs82685Aug-11-09 10:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#107037, "RE: Need some opinions on my setup"
In response to Reply # 2

why not go megasquirt? Or sell your fpr and fmu and axe the safc and go with a sfmu and you'll be fine with those injectors.

Also, just a personal opinion based on no experience whatsoever, but I wouldn't trust the possibility of an ebay turbo falling apart and bits and pieces of it finding its way into a built motor.

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

eclipserstturboAug-11-09 11:29 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
#107038, "RE: Need some opinions on my setup"
In response to Reply # 3

Well I thought about megasquirt, but I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet. I figure that I should start at the bottom, get used to tuning, and then I can always upgrade down the road. With the setup I have now, it's just really no way to tune other than getting the different size discs for the fmu. So I was going to do away with that and run the adjustable fpr and safc to kind of get a starting point so I can learn how to tune and once I'm comfortable with that then I can move up to the more advanced systems. Realistically, I don't have a high horsepower goal, I just want something that will be reliable that I can have fun with and take to the track without being laughed at. Maybe I'll want a little more down the road, but by starting at the bottom and working my way up I can learn alot (even though it'll cost more).

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107033 Previous topic | Next topic