Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #964
View in linear mode

Subject: "****PAINT INTERIOR*****" Previous topic | Next topic
Daniel_RSXJan-24-01 05:50 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#964, "****PAINT INTERIOR*****"

Hey peeps question for you who have painted the interior trim....I have mine all the way around the dash and doors blah blah blah....looks great...but starting to wear....any suggestions on a paint order....like should you use a primer....should you smooth the plastic so on and so forth....

I did the following:
1: Clean Surface
2: Spray several coats Enamel Spray Paint
4: When dry apply several coats of clearcoat...

what you guys think

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****, cyan, Jan-25-01 05:44 AM, #1
RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****, Daniel_RSX, Jan-25-01 06:51 AM, #2
RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****, Daniel_RSX, Jan-25-01 06:51 AM, #3
      RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****, cyan, Jan-25-01 09:22 AM, #4
RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****, TeamStan2gnt, Jan-25-01 04:34 PM, #5
RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****, Daniel_RSX, Jan-25-01 04:53 PM, #6
RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****, CoBen67, Jan-25-01 06:33 PM, #7
RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****, TeamStan2gnt, Jan-26-01 04:55 PM, #8
      RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****, CoBen67, Jan-26-01 05:24 PM, #9
           RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****, cyan, Jan-26-01 09:32 PM, #10
This is the only way to do it!!!, RAIZIN, Jan-27-01 05:48 AM, #11
RE: This is the only way to do it!!!, cyan, Jan-27-01 06:09 PM, #12
RE: This is the only way to do it!!!, TeamStan2gnt, Jan-27-01 11:01 PM, #13
      RE: This is the only way to do it!!!, DSMRoadster, Jan-28-01 08:40 AM, #14
           RE: This is the only way to do it!!!, cyan, Jan-28-01 10:11 AM, #15
                RE: This is the only way to do it!!!, DSMRoadster, Jan-28-01 11:10 AM, #16

cyanJan-25-01 05:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#965, "RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****"
In response to Reply # 0

no you dont smooth the surface out, you rough it up with some low grit sand paper. no primer (its plastic not metal) and then spray paint (use krylon on hard plastic parts, not cheap kmart or some brand) and a vinyl spray on the flexible vinyl parts, dash doors, etc.
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt/Interior_1

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Daniel_RSXJan-25-01 06:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7 posts,
#966, "RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****"
In response to Reply # 1

hey cyan thanks for the info
the prob is
i get morons in my car that scratch up everything
how durable is your stuff...
and i didnt buy the cheap stuff...but still gettin some scrathes
any further idea?
thanks

Daniel_RSXJan-25-01 06:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7 posts,
#967, "RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****"
In response to Reply # 1

hey cyan thanks for the info
the prob is
i get morons in my car that scratch up everything
how durable is your stuff...
and i didnt buy the cheap stuff...but still gettin some scrathes
any further idea?
thanks

cyanJan-25-01 09:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#968, "RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****"
In response to Reply # 3

ive got about 15 coats of the hard plastic so its not going anywhere, and hasnt yet, but the dash being flexible, the paint has scratched in a couple of places but i am about to touch it up, the vinyl paint doesnt chip. the only panels that get dirty and have to be repainted alot are the side center console panels because your feet hit them when you are driving so they get a little brown

TeamStan2gntJan-25-01 04:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#969, "RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****"
In response to Reply # 0

I used regular Rustoleum gloss enamel spray paint and dont have even the slightest sign of wear, discoloration or anything (its been a good year by now). Even painted the flexible center console cover with my elbow fixed to it everytime I drive with no wear. All I did was clean the surfaces with a slightly acetone damped cloth and sprayed about 6 or 7 light coats (aloowing each to dry). Dont sand or do anything to the plastic. I did that to a door handle frame and had to replace it. The paint will stick as long as the initial coat is applied correctly. I managed to mess up the initial coat on a few pieces (to thick a coat,running) and used the acetone to remove it right after I messed up (before it dried) and started again

At nite

daylite

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

Daniel_RSXJan-25-01 04:53 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7 posts,
#970, "RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****"
In response to Reply # 5

this spring i plan on redoing the whole thing
any suggestions on how to remove the enamyl spray paint and clear coat....so i can respray
thanks much for the info

CoBen67Jan-25-01 06:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
94 posts,
#971, "RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****"
In response to Reply # 0

Ok,

More detail...how do you paint the door handle trim? Every time I try that with the Krylon it peels off in small slivers. I have the others done in red similar to the pic above. I thought about doing my door panels over in red leather along with the center arm rest. But for now need help on the door handle trim.

Thanks all

CoBen67
Marcus

TeamStan2gntJan-26-01 04:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#972, "RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****"
In response to Reply # 7

Only thing I painted is what you see here. I took the screw out and removed the door handle trim. Everything I painted I removed. If I couldn't remove it I didn't paint it. As for removing the paint off of plastic. Acetone or paint remover worked damn good to get the white paint off the fog light surround that was on my front bumper when I bought it. I dont think it will be easy to remove paint off interior plastic parts. If you can do it its gonna take elbow grease and good peeling skills (unlike metal you cant sand). I'd just clean and respray, maybe using a white base coat if a color change is going to take place.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS

Yes I still own a 2gnt.
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

CoBen67Jan-26-01 05:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
94 posts,
#973, "RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****"
In response to Reply # 8

ok...What I mean is what did you paint the door handle trim with? When I paint it the krylon peels off. This plastic seems more flexible, almost waxy. I cant get he damn shit to stick with out peeling off!

cyanJan-26-01 09:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#974, "RE: ****PAINT INTERIOR*****"
In response to Reply # 9

i used krylon first on all my interior trim including the door handles and it stayed for a year and a half. if you didnt take the piece out and rough it up a little there is your problem. for the same reason a car is sanded prior to painting do the same on the interior pieces. and spray in light coats, dont cover it on the first two coats, it should take at least 5

RAIZINJan-27-01 05:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
775 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#975, "This is the only way to do it!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

You will need:

SEM Plastic Prep
SEM Vinyl Prep
SEM Color of your choice
SEM High clear gloss

SEM's is the only permanent/flexible vinyl and plastic interior paint that you can use and will last forever. The automotive shops that restore interiors use this. It's about 8 dollars a can but you get what you pay for. Trust me..this is the only paint you want to use. You can get it at any auto body paint n supply shop. Or I've even seen the stuff at NAPA.

1st - you have to clean excess dirt off of parts with a cleaner that has degreasing agents in it (simple green, 409)

2nd - you have to prep the parts with SEM plastic or vinyl prep. Just spray it on and in a few seconds wipe it off. (this softens up the part a little and removes any remaining wax, grease, dirt (anything that will not allow the paint to adhere)

3rd - with several thin coats (avoid one heavy coat) spray you choice of SEMs various colors. The stuff dries in 10 min. So allow that much time in between coats.

4th - Spray several coats of SEMs high gloss (the more coats of this you use..the better it looks)

give it 24hours before you actually start messing with the parts (installing and shit like that)

Remember ..only use SEMs products..you can't go wrong with it. They have detailed instructions on how to use the stuff on the back also. They sell the stuff in aerosol spray cans or in pints for airguns. now do it right and don't f*ck up your shit!!!!

cyanJan-27-01 06:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#976, "RE: This is the only way to do it!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

he's right thats what i used. $7.99 a can but it only takes about 2 cans of paint

ps-raizin get in touch with me about the stuff man

TeamStan2gntJan-27-01 11:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#977, "RE: This is the only way to do it!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

I would have used that too if I were to do anything significant like cyans interior but for the parts I painted and my purposes what I used suficed. You'd have to be working with a purpose (and heavy chemicals/elbow grease) to get that paint off. I'd say from the looks of it so far the car will be in the scrap yard before it comes off BUT vinyl paint/dye and prep is the correct way to do it.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS

Yes I still own a 2gnt.
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

DSMRoadsterJan-28-01 08:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#978, "RE: This is the only way to do it!!!"
In response to Reply # 13

Dam Cyan! Mom and Dad didn't buy you the crayons and coloring books you wanted when you were a kid huh? I love the car though. One of the best I've seen.

intricatelines.com/ -graphics and vinyls

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

cyanJan-28-01 10:11 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#979, "RE: This is the only way to do it!!!"
In response to Reply # 14

nope they didnt buy me shit, i had an unhappy childhood : (
they wont even buy me stuff for the car for like birthday presents.

DSMRoadsterJan-28-01 11:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#980, "RE: This is the only way to do it!!!"
In response to Reply # 15

I know what you mean brother. I've been there too.

intricatelines.com/ -graphics and vinyls

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #964 Previous topic | Next topic