Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #95151
View in linear mode

Subject: "$10,000 Paint job...." Previous topic | Next topic
edxmonJun-22-06 02:23 PM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#95151, "$10,000 Paint job...."

OMFG, i felt like socking that mofo in the face....

ok, so i walk into Greenwalds (a body shop around here) i dk if its in other states. i ask if they do invdividual jobs, as in not insurance, they say "Ofcourse." Well, one of the estimators looks at me and says "what kind of car is it?" so i tell him. he goes "your prolly looking at around $7000." Well, i figured he saw me, and thought i was just playing around about getting a paint job, or thought he was too good for me. Anyways he says,"u still want an estimate?" I told him "Yea, thats what i walked in here for (he stares at me)" i say "I am a customer RIGHT?" he seems annoyed and says "...yes you are"

I ended up waiting for an hour for him to come out to look at my car, and another hour for him to come up and print the estimate.

He came up with $10028.63, 168 hrs or work at $42/hr and 41 working days. and he kept saying, "OH and this is just a starting point, b the time were done it could and most likely will double...we had a vette here that ended up being 16K and was here for a year" i told him, well thats interesting... Always with a smile on my face, because if i would have shown annoyance he would have "won"

anyways, he was a jerk, i wish i could go back and say, well start work on my car, heres your 10k deposit "Starting point" lemme know if it goes up umkay?

whew...long one, just had to let it out. Anyways, do u guys think he just inflated the prices, or is a paint job event of the best quality and material around this price, and i thought 1-2k was too much...

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: $10,000 Paint job...., R34Eclipse, Jun-22-06 02:32 PM, #1
RE: $10,000 Paint job...., optikal, Jun-22-06 02:49 PM, #2
      RE: $10,000 Paint job...., edxmon, Jun-22-06 05:49 PM, #3
           RE: $10,000 Paint job...., .bs0d, Jun-22-06 05:54 PM, #4
           RE: $10,000 Paint job...., optikal, Jun-22-06 05:56 PM, #5
           RE: $10,000 Paint job...., edxmon, Jun-22-06 06:04 PM, #6
           RE: $10,000 Paint job...., hookduphatch, Jun-22-06 10:50 PM, #8
                RE: $10,000 Paint job...., optikal, Jun-22-06 11:29 PM, #9
           RE: $10,000 Paint job...., xTheGame77x, Jun-22-06 06:30 PM, #7
                RE: $10,000 Paint job...., mike_d, Jun-23-06 05:10 AM, #10
                     RE: $10,000 Paint job...., edxmon, Jun-23-06 09:04 AM, #11
                          RE: $10,000 Paint job...., MCubed45, Jun-23-06 12:45 PM, #12
                               RE: $10,000 Paint job...., optikal, Jun-23-06 01:42 PM, #13
                                    RE: $10,000 Paint job...., edxmon, Jun-24-06 07:32 PM, #14
                                    RE: $10,000 Paint job...., destruckeclipse, Jun-26-06 08:29 PM, #15
                                         RE: $10,000 Paint job...., Keith2172, Jun-27-06 06:13 AM, #16
                                              RE: $10,000 Paint job...., Chamuko, Jun-27-06 08:44 AM, #17
                                                   RE: $10,000 Paint job...., edxmon, Jun-28-06 12:39 PM, #18
                                                        RE: $10,000 Paint job...., ChloRure, Jun-28-06 04:48 PM, #19
                                                             RE: $10,000 Paint job...., edxmon, Jun-29-06 12:40 PM, #20
                                                                  RE: $10,000 Paint job...., optikal, Jun-29-06 03:58 PM, #21
                                                                  RE: $10,000 Paint job...., TaloN2.0, Jul-26-06 08:20 AM, #22
                                                                       RE: $10,000 Paint job...., dsmmyth, Jul-26-06 08:31 AM, #23
                                                                            RE: $10,000 Paint job...., InFiNiT3, Jul-27-06 07:49 AM, #24
                                                                                 RE: $10,000 Paint job...., Talsition, Jul-27-06 11:27 AM, #25
                                                                                 RE: $10,000 Paint job...., optikal, Jul-27-06 12:20 PM, #26
                                                                                      RE: $10,000 Paint job...., optikal, Jul-27-06 12:22 PM, #27
                                                                                           RE: $10,000 Paint job...., RAIZIN, Jul-31-06 10:40 AM, #28
                                    RE: $10,000 Paint job...., mikes95talon, Aug-06-06 02:56 PM, #29
                                         RE: $10,000 Paint job...., optikal, Aug-06-06 05:49 PM, #30
                                              RE: $10,000 Paint job...., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Aug-06-06 07:13 PM, #31
                                                   RE: $10,000 Paint job...., edxmon, Aug-08-06 10:29 AM, #32
                                                        RE: $10,000 Paint job...., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Aug-09-06 07:38 PM, #33

R34EclipseJun-22-06 02:32 PM
Member since Oct 01st 2005
706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#95154, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 0

1-2k too much? you can spend that much and fact-o-flake or macco for their "high end" jobs, decent work around here starts at 2200+ you get what you pay for, mine same color no jams, was 3800 from the top rated place in my town, and they did a damn good job, and its not what you would consider a "show" paint job its a factory quality, but when you go to a custom shop expect to pay for what you get, and then again i've seen a 2,800 paint job from a local shop look like ass, flake, peel, bubble, and be unevenly colored so yea 10 is high but 1-2 isn't anything special.

-----------------------------------
97 RS-T, STAR Stage 2, HAHN FMIC, Decah Lambo Doors, 19" Axis Hiros, Built 420a - SOLD
2004 - G35 6MT 20" HREs & Tein Flex
-----------------------------------

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

optikalJun-22-06 02:49 PM
Member since Jun 23rd 2002
1062 posts,
#95155, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 1

that's about right for show quality work.

-eric stratton
Kustom Auto Koatings
North East, Md
443-528-8007
http://www.kustomautokoatings.com

edxmonJun-22-06 05:49 PM
1006 posts,
#95163, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 2
Jun-22-06 05:53 PM by edxmon

SHOW QUALITY?! all i wanted was a red car! which it aready is...

P.S. and he said "Your looking at 3k for the wing and sideskirts each..." tell me he wasnt fucking with me? even at $70 per hour, how the fuck does he get 3k?, im stikin to : He was an ass hole.

EDIT: now more than ever ima get the paint from you Optical, just hold on for me yeah? its been kinda rough for us in here.

his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

.bs0dJun-22-06 05:54 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
#95164, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 3

ditto. A guy that paints show cars lives 2 houses down from me and said he would paint my far for me if I help with the process for the cost of the paint

optikalJun-22-06 05:56 PM
1062 posts,
#95165, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 3

cool man just let me know whenever you want to get the paint i'll hook you up

-eric stratton
Kustom Auto Koatings
North East, Md
443-528-8007

edxmonJun-22-06 06:04 PM
1006 posts,
#95166, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 5

God bless Optikal, im about to get a new job, but i think my mom got layed off, i dont wanna ask her cuz i feel weird, but she asked me to help her with applications, so i dont wanna do anything stupid right now, incase i have to help her out. Yo man .Bs0d, were u live at So.Cal? hook it up with the work! lol.

Originally posted by ez

hookduphatchJun-22-06 10:50 PM
Member since Jul 10th 2004
552 posts,
#95172, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 5
Jun-22-06 10:51 PM by hookduphatch

optikal, when i am ready, want to help me redo some body work, add a filler door, and paint the car? haha. i'd be more than down for a trip if that were the case, if i could get a paint job that looked 1/2 as good as yours.

95 Eclipse RS - Sold and In Montana Now
Project 95 GSX - In Full swing.

optikalJun-22-06 11:29 PM
1062 posts,
#95173, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 8
Jun-22-06 11:30 PM by optikal

yea i'll do the body work and paint your car if you wanna make the trip haha. i've had people send me their cars from farther away than you are actually. trust me it'll be worth the trip! if you are serious let me know when you are ready.

-eric stratton
Kustom Auto Koatings
North East, Md
443-528-8007

xTheGame77xJun-22-06 06:30 PM
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
113 posts,
#95168, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by edxmon
SHOW QUALITY?! all i wanted was a red car! which it aready is... P.S. and he said "Your looking at 3k for the wing and sideskirts each..." tell me he wasnt fucking with me? even at $70 per hour, how the fuck does he get 3k?, im stikin to : He was an ass hole. EDIT: now more than ever ima get the paint from you Optical, just hold on for me yeah? its been kinda rough for us in here.

3k for the wing and side skirts? wtf

my car is candy apple red.. the guy said in total he used 7 or 8 coats of red..clear..and candy
and i just got my side skirts all moulded and am having my front bumper resprayed due to all the stone chips and in total its just over a grand. He has to pretty much respray each entire side of the car so you cant see a difference in the candy coats.

The guy is screwing around with you

97 Eclipse Spyder GST

mike_dJun-23-06 05:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
718 posts,
#95176, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 7

Usually when you get an Outrageously quote like that they guy is thinking to himself "I dont think this kid is serious so I'm going to give him a stupid price so he will leave me alone"

I paid ~$3500 when all was said and done for my paint a few years ago. That included removing and re-installing the glass and some trim parts I had replaced. You can find cheaper and of course there is better but for a daily driver they did a great job.

95 Talon ESi-T

edxmonJun-23-06 09:04 AM
1006 posts,
#95180, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 10

see but i think its stupid losing a customer just because u THINK im not serius, maybe if he had given me a decent price maybe i would have done it, because their jobs did look nice but after the stupid shit they did, ill just buy the paint from Optikal, and Strip/mask the car myself, and take it to a place were they charge me ~700 just for the labor.

Originally posted by ez

MCubed45Jun-23-06 12:45 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#95185, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 11

have someone else bring your car in and get a quote. when they come back with a much more reasonable price start a discrimination law suit

-marc

optikalJun-23-06 01:42 PM
1062 posts,
#95186, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 12

just take it to another shop man, i know there has to be more than one body shop around you. where do you live? i know a lot of painters maybe i can hook you up with one in the area.

-eric stratton
Kustom Auto Koatings
North East, Md
443-528-8007

edxmonJun-24-06 07:32 PM
1006 posts,
#95206, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 13

im in san diego, national city to be exact. yea we thought of bringing my or another car in, but if we used mine, they recognize it rite away.

Originally posted by ez

destruckeclipseJun-26-06 08:29 PM
Member since Apr 26th 2004
576 posts,
#95262, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 14

Haha poor Edgar. No way I'm paying 10k for a paint job, then again I don't want "show quality". I miss making trips to harass body shops with yo lol.

'95 GSX - Big16G ~ Leaks, but atleast it runs.

Keith2172Jun-27-06 06:13 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#95272, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 15

I took my car into Above & Beyond Auto Body in Visalia, just to get an idea of high end quotes when I was shopping around for paint. Guy said, "For one of my paint jobs, you're going to have to start at $7000". I thought, who the hell does this guy think he is, his shop is based in po-dunk Visalia! L.A. fine, I could understand that quote from someone in So-Cal, but here! Anyways, I went to Dura-glo and paid them $1400 to paint the car black. It's black now, looks better then what it was, and it aint a show car anyways, so I'm happy.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

ChamukoJun-27-06 08:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#95277, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 16

why dont you pay the 40 bucks at your CC and paint it yourself? Or if you know a friend taking the class... You get to use all their equipment and the local companies give you HUGE discounts on their products.

Or bring it up here, you want it the stock red right?

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

edxmonJun-28-06 12:39 PM
1006 posts,
#95302, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 17

Fo sho man, stock PPG R87 red, im working with Optikal on the paint, so what, u can hook me up? i dont think they offer that class at my particular CC, i go to SDCC. But if u can hook me up, i think i still got your adress from the AFX UDP box u sold me. just lemme know how'd it work cuz i know ur atleast an hour away, how'd i get back and pick it up and stuff. If it wer to be done it be right now when im on vacation!

Originally posted by ez

ChloRureJun-28-06 04:48 PM
Member since May 16th 2006
262 posts,
#95306, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 18

For 10k you should expect a gold paint with some real gold in it !!! 160 hours ???? maybe he takes a break after each 10mins of work. If you want to spare a lot of money you can prepare the car by your self. (Sand, remove door panel, spoiler, bumpers....) Now just prime and paint, and of course you can buy the paint and save again.

edxmonJun-29-06 12:40 PM
1006 posts,
#95325, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 19

Well, i think i actually caught a break. After i got out of my internship at city hall (engineering dept.), I drove around for a bit, and right behind the Police Station, i found a small shop. i went in and asked for a quote, the guy told me to bring it in, to take a look. Well he looked at it i told him what i wanted. He's a really cool guy, we were just chilling talking about shit, until we really got down to business. I think he really hooked me up. he quoted me $1,800 for a complete job, skirts and wing installed. those last two i forgot to tell him and he said "Well they've been mounted before right, so the wholes are there?" i was like Nope, well he said he'll take care of it. He also gave me the option, of bringing, my own paint which i was planning on getting from Optikal, but he will not be able to guarantee his work (5 yrs), altho he's gona use PPG either way. Now all i want to do is, raise my Credit limit, so i dont have to use all of my savings.

He said, he takes off everything. moldings etc, etc and his masking jobs are well done on the parts that cannot/arent removed. Cool guy, i think ill go with him, so for now seems, like ima hold off on the paint Optikal, sorry, altho i really apreciate ur help. Then again i might change my mind once again, so dont put me in ur black list yet!

Originally posted by ez

optikalJun-29-06 03:58 PM
1062 posts,
#95329, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 20

it's cool either way bro, no worries here.

-eric stratton
Kustom Auto Koatings
North East, Md
443-528-8007

TaloN2.0Jul-26-06 08:20 AM
Member since Jul 20th 2006
17 posts,
#95855, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 20

how much for a midnight blue witha black flake optikal? I'm in Maine.

(img
src="http://www.geocities.com/superman_iz_back420420/sick.bmp"(/img)

dsmmythJul-26-06 08:31 AM
Member since Aug 24th 2004
1178 posts,
#95856, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 22

Originally posted by TaloN2.0
how much for a midnight blue witha black flake optikal? I'm in Maine.

1998 Eclipse GS

GS-T Axleback|CAI|OBX 4-1 Header|AF/X UDP|

Originally posted by Kaoz78
Did you happen to look at the post date of this topic? I didn't think so there Jesus. Way to raise Lazarus, buddy.

InFiNiT3Jul-27-06 07:49 AM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
#95863, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 23

god damn..... i hate to see people waist $$$$ 200$ worth of shit and about 1 week worth of labor and our done.... buy a good gav feed gun and some sheet alum. to practice a bit some 1500 grit sp and some 2k grit sp some 3m rubbing compound and your set...believe it or not painting/airbrushing does not take any talent what so ever...anyone can do it..........

mods include but not limited to:
engine: AEM cai , pp head / TB / intake runners, Chikira 4-2-1 header , custom 2.5" exhast / pacesetter high flow cat/flowmaster2 muff,1mm over sized SS valves,PT valvetrain, AEM cam gears/pully set, prothane motormounts,440 injectors , ground kit.
Trans: Custom ATX (1 of a kind) poly-graphite steels , kevlar clutches , final drive , shift kit,3500 stall TC, Tourqe Wonder trans chip ($120.00 2gnt price only!!email for order info)

TalsitionJul-27-06 11:27 AM
Member since Aug 08th 2004
39 posts,
#95867, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 24

I got quoted 250 for the top and hatch to be sanded down and repainted and the guy did my dads 71 roadrunner and it looks damn near show quality.

optikalJul-27-06 12:20 PM
1062 posts,
#95869, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 24

Originally posted by InFiNiT3
god damn..... i hate to see people waist $$$$ 200$ worth of shit and about 1 week worth of labor and our done.... buy a good gav feed gun and some sheet alum. to practice a bit some 1500 grit sp and some 2k grit sp some 3m rubbing compound and your set...believe it or not painting/airbrushing does not take any talent what so ever...anyone can do it..........

woah.....that's all i need to paint my car? awesome!

obviously you aren't a painter, or else you wouldn't have said such a dumbass comment.

that's the problem, everyone THINKS they are a painter, and that it is easy. that's fine with me though, because those shitty paintjobs eventually end up in my shop to get done right.

let's see some pics of your paint and airbrush work.....i'm interested to see what kind of work you've done since it's so simple.

-eric stratton
Kustom Auto Koatings
North East, Md
443-528-8007

optikalJul-27-06 12:22 PM
1062 posts,
#95870, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 26

oh, and TaloN2.0 it's probably not worth the drive for you from Maine, I'm sure there is a shop in your town that can hook you up on a paintjob. I'm kind of expensive, so unless you are looking for show quality paint work, I'm probably not your guy.

-eric stratton
Kustom Auto Koatings
North East, Md
443-528-8007

RAIZINJul-31-06 10:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
775 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#95920, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 27

I think I paid 800 dollars for my Escalade White Diamond paint job on top of the cost of paint, clear coat, and sealant. Was "show" quality.

mikes95talonAug-06-06 02:56 PM
Member since Jul 23rd 2006
7 posts,
#96014, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 13

hey ur located in maryland? i live in southern maryland and im lookin for a reputable decent priced paint shop- anything come to mind? any help is greatly appreciated!

optikalAug-06-06 05:49 PM
1062 posts,
#96022, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 29

i don't know of any good paint shops in southern maryland, my shop is in north east, md

-eric stratton
Kustom Auto Koatings
North East, Md
443-528-8007

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonAug-06-06 07:13 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#96023, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 30

Edgar, you got what you desearved. By reading your post you walked in there and gave an attitude when the guy questioned how serious you were. 7000.00 is realistic if it is done the proper textbook way. The glass R&R is close to 1000.00 alone. You gotta remember, your young, do you realize how many kids walk into a paint shop wanting to repaint their car? They waste the time of the estimator making it hard for other customers to get their car into the shop to get painted.

you think 10k is high.....my superbee estimate is 16500. and yes that is a starting figure because the body shop and myself have no idea whats underneith the 20year old lacquer. If it comes out absolutely perfect, then I am happy to pay for it.

You got to remember, when a body shop paints your car, they are putting thier name on it. If they give you a cheap price and do it on the cheap, people will notice and you will just say "that shop did it."

You want to be taken seriously, then act the part.

edxmonAug-08-06 10:29 AM
1006 posts,
#96036, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 31

well, i did get an attitide, but it wasnt UNTIL he game me his, i think you might have missread or misunderstood my post but here is what he did: As i talked to the receptionist and he heard i wanted an estimate he asks me what kind of car it is, as soon as i replied he yells back "your looking at about 10k STARTING POINT" with a tone of superiority, i did not talk to him then, UNTIL he emediatly, with a challenging tone asks me "So do you still want to paint it?" this to me sounded arrogant and awfully uncurteous, coming from some one who lives from customers. Now i know i could have just walked away when he first gave me the figure but i got pissed and game him a bit of his own medicine. On the other hand i must clear up that I DID NOT walk in there with an attitude. I had visited various shops that day and had gotten numbers such as 3-5k. What made me mad and do what i did was how he acted towards me when i had a legitimate request to his company, to give me an approx. price.

Hope this clears that up sir.

Thanks for the Reply, and I am glad to inform that i had already found the shop that will be doing the job for me.

Originally posted by ez

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonAug-09-06 07:38 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#96044, "RE: $10,000 Paint job...."
In response to Reply # 32

so your saying two wrongs make a right?

He gave you an attitude because he thought you were just some punk who didnt understand the cost of work and was there to end up wasting his time. You in turn proved him right by giving him the attitude he expected. You didnt give him his own medicine, you let him get to you and you made a very imature mistake, period.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #95151 Previous topic | Next topic