Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #927
View in linear mode

Subject: "PIAA Platinum Bulbs 4 Projectors Question" Previous topic | Next topic
HeDogJan-22-01 10:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
251 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#927, "PIAA Platinum Bulbs 4 Projectors Question"

I just got my clear projector headlights and will be switching the bulbs. I've got PIAA 1100X dichronic driving lights, which use the Platinum bulbs and I want to keep all the bulbs the same.

From what I hear, people say that the projectors don't illuminate the road very well. PIAA has 2 different wattages for H3 bulbs, 55w & 85w. Being that the 55w probably wouldn't illuminate the road enough, can the housing for the projector sustain the heat from an 85w bulb? I figure that even though it is more of a concentrated beam, by having it brighter would be better.

Also, is anyone using an actual HID setup with clear projectors. I will eventually be switching to HID if the housing for the lights will allow it temperature wise.

Any feedback on any situations or problems would be great.

HeDog

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=879

HeDog

'95 Eclipse GS/Turboed

HRC Stage II with FMIC.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Teameclipse804Jan-22-01 06:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#928, "RE: PIAA Platinum Bulbs 4 Projectors Question"
In response to Reply # 0

My suggestion would be not to risk the high wattage. But if you do, just check up on it carefully to see how it goes. My stock headlights with 85 watts bulbs are fine, except for the wiring harness. The headlight harness (what the bulb actually plugs into) melted on one side. I guess its also luck...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamStan2gntJan-23-01 04:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#929, "RE: PIAA Platinum Bulbs 4 Projectors Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Some web site had real HID conversion kit for projector eclpise lights. Had pics and everything so that can be done with modification. I wouldn't risk 85W bulbs either. If the factory harness melts (but thats usually with higher than 85w) the projector harness probably isn't any better as they aren't up to the quality of the oem lights. My projectors light up more than just in front of me. They spread to the side of the road just like factory. The only time my projectors dont illuminate good is during rain (when you need it most). With hyper bulbs and clear skies I dont think you'll have a problem seeing.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #927 Previous topic | Next topic