Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #92503
View in linear mode

Subject: "Inside of foglight switch burned up?" Previous topic | Next topic
1995talonFeb-17-06 08:26 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
626 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#92503, "Inside of foglight switch burned up?"

about a year ago i wired up some stock 97-99 eclipse foglights to the stock switch.i cant remember just how i did it but i beleave i just took 12v from somewhere ran that to the switch then from the switch to the lights useing 16 or 12ga wire(speaker wire with both leads twisted together to make one wire).

well everything worked great for i cant remember how long maybe a month or 2 then my switch would only work if i held it in.i took the switch out and took it apart and one of the tracks had heated up and mealted the plastic around it(kinda like whats in the pic but not NEARLY as bad) and that was makeing it stick.so i cleaned it out and got it UNstuck and once again it worked for a while.

well a few weeks ago it started doing the samething,so i buy a new switch,get it today and was just pepin inside to see what happend and this is what i find..

what the hell would cause that?

Black apillars,black door sills,97-99 eclipse grill,floor mats,CF shift boot and Ebrake cover,CF gauge cluster cover,chrome gauge cluster trim rings

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/13648/1328958

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

96rs-tFeb-17-06 08:34 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2203 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#92504, "RE: Inside of foglight switch burned up?"
In response to Reply # 0

maybe that 12awg overloaded it

SoCal DSM
1996 RS-T: Under Construction
1999 GS AE: New daily driver
"USING NO WAY AS A WAY, HAVING NO LIMITATION AS A LIMITATION"--BRUCE LEE

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1995talonFeb-17-06 11:41 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
626 posts,
#92508, "RE: Inside of foglight switch burned up?"
In response to Reply # 1

the onlything i can think of is where i didnt use each side of the switch for one light,insteed i took the lazy route and ran both lights off one side of the switch and thats pulling to much juice thur one side.i think that would explain all the melting and burning...what do you guys think?

Black apillars,black door sills,97-99 eclipse grill,floor mats,CF shift boot and Ebrake cover,CF gauge cluster cover,chrome gauge cluster trim rings

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/13648/1328958

ChamukoFeb-17-06 05:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#92513, "RE: Inside of foglight switch burned up?"
In response to Reply # 2

shoulda used a relay and fuses dude.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

azdaveFeb-19-06 02:16 AM
Member since Nov 25th 2003
694 posts,
#92529, "RE: Inside of foglight switch burned up?"
In response to Reply # 3

Yup.

The factory foglight switch is only designed to use a very small current to activate the foglight relay under the hood. You will pull way too much power through those contacts if you attempt to power the lamps directly with the switch.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #92503 Previous topic | Next topic