Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #914
View in linear mode

Subject: "Installing a body kit" Previous topic | Next topic
mikee97gsJan-21-01 03:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
117 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#914, "Installing a body kit"

Hey does anyone know how hard it is to install a body kit. I mainly need help with the rear bumper, how easy is it to take it off and put on a new one?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Installing a body kit, cyan, Jan-21-01 04:14 PM, #1
and another thing, cyan, Jan-21-01 04:16 PM, #2
      RE: and another thing, cyan, Jan-23-01 05:08 AM, #3
           RE: and another thing, mikee97gs, Jan-23-01 07:26 AM, #4
RE: Installing a body kit, Teameclipse804, Jan-23-01 07:05 PM, #5
RE: Installing a body kit, Teamicjeclipse, Jan-24-01 12:53 PM, #6

cyanJan-21-01 04:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#915, "RE: Installing a body kit"
In response to Reply # 0

the rear is probably the hardest. remove the hatch panels and the taillights. then you have access to the top bolts. remove those as well as the bolts behind the license plate and the bolts on the bottom of the bumper. then the bolts inside the fenderwell. the farthest one back is a bitch to get off, but i got screwed and had a subwoofer enclosure installed in my hatch before changing rear bumpers so i couldnt get to the bolt, so i took a hacksaw to the gap between the bumper and fender and cut the last bolt out on each side, you can get to the front fenderwell bolts by going behind the inner fenderwell plastic. then line up the new bumper and drill. be sure to do all this before painting the bumper. i am in the process of putting up a FAQ/install section on my site so if you arent going to be doing this for a while it may be up before you do it. good luck
oh yeah, one more thing, if the bumper you buy doesnt require you to remove the rear re-bar and re-bar suport brackets, remove them anyway. i dont think in any accident they will do jack shit, plus youll get about 75 pounds in weight reduction by removing the front and rear reinforcement bars (about 30 lbs each) this equates to almost 1HP. i think 100lbs reduction=1HP (rejoice in your wonderful power gain now)
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

cyanJan-21-01 04:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#916, "and another thing"
In response to Reply # 1

while the bumper is off if you remove the re-bar like i said, you may want to paint the area behind it black or else it will be noticeable like mine is, i havent gotten around to painting it as you can see in teh picture.

cyanJan-23-01 05:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#917, "RE: and another thing"
In response to Reply # 2

i put the detailed instructions on my site under the "installation walkthroughs" section check it out if you need help, and if someone notices a typo let me knwo and ill fix it because i couldnt remember which places had bolts, screws and plastic screws.

mikee97gsJan-23-01 07:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
117 posts,
#918, "RE: and another thing"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks a lot man. You have been a great help..Ill update you on my progress.
Mike

Teameclipse804Jan-23-01 07:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#919, "RE: Installing a body kit"
In response to Reply # 0

Just have one thing to say...you'll end up with over 30 screws and bolts. There are so many things holding that bumper cover on, its unbelievable. It took me about an hour or so to get it off. To install the actual kit, we actually had to cut part of the fiberglass bumper so that we could access the holes where the stock screws go on the left and right side corners. Did anyone else have to do that?

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

TeamicjeclipseJan-24-01 12:53 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#920, "RE: Installing a body kit"
In response to Reply # 5

Yea CARisma did that for mine.

Ian
95 Eclipse RS
http://www.geocities.com/icjeclipse/index.html

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #914 Previous topic | Next topic