Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #63594
View in linear mode

Subject: "2G Door Handle Fix Kit??" Previous topic | Next topic
azdaveDec-18-03 08:07 AM
Member since Nov 25th 2003
694 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63594, "2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"

This is being posted on several web sites for your input. I am getting quotes at local metal shops to do a door handle fix for 2G Eclipses, Talons, and Avengers. I have devised a way to reinforce the handle with steel at both of the stress risers on the curved part of the hinges. In order to proceed I would like some input about the failure points. Please look at the photo and let me know if you have had a break anywhere other than the places indicated. I'm talking about failures from normal use, not from vandals with crowbars or traffic accidents. I'm trying to make the repair easy enough for someone to do themselves as long as they have access to a small bandsaw or can patiently use a hacksaw. You will have to remove the door handles and take them apart. At first I may offer to sell door handles ready to use or do it on an exchange basis. I don' t want to disclose too much yet on the details since it can be copied and I know someone will copy it as soon as I reveal it. I just want to recover the $700-$1000 it's going to take to get the mimimum parts count made and delivered. I do want to help fellow DSMers. I don't want to loose my shirt. I hate buying a brand new part from Satan that is as weak as the one that just broke. I can't afford to have a traditional die made to stamp these out so it looks like it should be laser cut. The pieces themselves aren't expensive but the shops have minimum part counts that force me to buy $500 each of the two parts needed. If they produce them in small batches the price goes through the roof.

So am I stupid to proceed or is there really going to be a market for this? Are there really that many people breaking door handles? I've only been into Eclipses less than a year so I could use the input from those who know.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, TeamDR1665, Dec-18-03 08:57 AM, #1
RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, FarOutKucki, Dec-23-03 03:38 PM, #11
RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, SILVERNT, Dec-18-03 09:03 AM, #2
RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, scothern, Dec-18-03 09:32 AM, #3
RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, NCHRGE, Dec-18-03 12:05 PM, #4
      RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, azdave, Dec-19-03 02:49 AM, #5
           RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, run4cvr, Dec-19-03 05:00 AM, #6
                RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, KaptainMyke, Dec-19-03 07:13 AM, #7
                     RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, eclipse_99rs, Dec-20-03 05:11 AM, #8
                          RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, The1Bill, Dec-20-03 03:03 PM, #9
                          RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, KaptainMyke, Dec-26-03 08:21 PM, #13
                               RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, The1Bill, Dec-26-03 08:24 PM, #14
                          RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, azdave, Dec-23-03 10:24 AM, #10
                               RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, scothern, Dec-25-03 03:33 PM, #12
                                    RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, azdave, Jan-04-04 04:53 AM, #15
                                         RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, scothern, Jan-04-04 02:22 PM, #16
                                              RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??, azdave, Jan-05-04 10:08 AM, #17

TeamDR1665Dec-18-03 08:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63599, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 0

AZDAVE?

As in, Arizona? Dave? Drop me a line. There are about ten of us here in Phoenix and Tucson (mostly Phoenix). We have a parts car with a busted handle availabel if you want to meet up and show us what you're talking about more in detail. I think it sounds like a good idea, personally. I think there are more people wanting to buy a door handle than are wanting to sell them.

Let us know. We'd be glad to meet you.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

FarOutKuckiDec-23-03 03:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2719 posts,
#63858, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 1
Dec-23-03 03:38 PM by FarOutKucki

Originally posted by DR1665
AZDAVE? As in, Arizona? Dave? Drop me a line. There are about ten of us here in Phoenix and Tucson (mostly Phoenix). We have a parts car with a busted handle availabel if you want to meet up and show us what you're talking about more in detail. I think it sounds like a good idea, personally. I think there are more people wanting to buy a door handle than are wanting to sell them. Let us know. We'd be glad to meet you.

lol, youre not going to stop until everyone who owns a DSM lives in arizona, are you?

SILVERNTDec-18-03 09:03 AM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
#63602, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 0

why not just reinforce them with some sort of fiberglass resin reinforced by fiberglass cloth. i hand make kayaks out of Okume Marine wood, and i use west systems fibeglass system. 4oz fiberglass cloth, resin, and hardener. this tuff can take abuse, ive proven many times that when proporly built that the kayak can withstand a small car resting on the bow. i doubt a doorhandle will ever see that much stress. just tryin to help out a fellow 2gnter.
Chris

scothernDec-18-03 09:32 AM
Member since Jul 07th 2002
998 posts,
#63603, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 0

Yup! Thats exactly where mine broke off at. I like the idea of the fiberglass. As long as it could be made to fit the door. Why not just make an entire handle assembly out of fiber? Either way, if someoen could make me a pair and Guarantee they wouldn't break in a year then I would buy a set for sure. My car is a 99, the damn door handle shouldnt break in 4 years, my girlfriends 78 trans am still has the original door handles and it is a lot older.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

99 Eclipse RS

"Can't we all just hit a Bong"?

NCHRGEDec-18-03 12:05 PM
Member since Jan 10th 2003
174 posts,
#63606, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 3

I fixed mine with autozone plastic welder. 3500psi holding strength. No problems........YET

CAI, UDP, 2.5 custom exhaust, hi flow cat, P&P TB, ported intake, 8.5mm MSD wires.

azdaveDec-19-03 02:49 AM
694 posts,
#63625, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 4
Dec-19-03 02:52 AM by azdave

I am trying to come up with a repair that is easily performed by most do-it-yourselfers that will be strong and reinforce the key stress areas. You can certainly fix them other ways but I don't want to be afaid of breaking my door handle everytime I use it like I am now. I have done a lot of composite work and mold making but not everyone has the skills or materials on hand to do it right. Making the entire handle (right and left)out of composites would have to be a labor of love because you would never recover all the time it would take to do it. High strength expoxies are probably the best solution avaiable now if the parts are prepped carefully and you take your time. At this point it looks like I won't be pursuing the project but I'll wait until after the holidays or maybe sell a few I have modified to see what people think.

Yes I'm in Mesa, Arizona. I'm not a "DSM or die" kind of owner like many are. I kind of got my 98 Eclipse by accident and ended up really liking it so kept it and personalised it a little. Lowered, 17" rims and tires, new alarm with one touch up-down windows, sound system, sound deadened, HID headlamps, built my own safety interlock for the remote start (manual tranny), electric trunk release, power ant. etc. It's all show and no-go on a stock 420A. I'm doing a few web pages with tech topics to help other owners do repairs on some of the basic stuff. Here is a link to one I'm working on for properly removing the front bumper.

http://www.azflight.com/daw/eclipsebumper/index.htm

Here's a few pics right after I purchased it.

http://www.azflight.com/daw/98eclipse/index.htm

Thanks for the input,
Dave W.

run4cvrDec-19-03 05:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2477 posts,
#63634, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 5

Sounds like a good idea.

Side note: Email me or DR1665 so we can meet up with you. We might be having a mini meet around the holidays.

me: urun4cvr@cox.net DR: dr1665@cox.net

John 96 GS

KaptainMykeDec-19-03 07:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10179 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#63640, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 6

Shave them.

Fixed.

https://www.kaptainmyke.com

eclipse_99rsDec-20-03 05:11 AM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
#63666, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 7

its a good idea! im just waiting for mone to break of

myspace.com/coastiecobb

The1BillDec-20-03 03:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#63680, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by KaptainMyke
Shave them. Fixed.

Fixed... until you get pulled over, and your car gets impounded. It's not legal to shave the handles, at least in most states.

-=B=-

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

KaptainMykeDec-26-03 08:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10179 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#64019, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by The1Bill
Originally posted by KaptainMyke Shave them. Fixed.
Fixed... until you get pulled over, and your car gets impounded. It's not legal to shave the handles, at least in most states. -=B=-

2 vehicles and has never been a problem for my old truck or my car now? I also been pulled over enough times you'd think it'd come up. Oh well

https://www.kaptainmyke.com

The1BillDec-26-03 08:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#64020, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 13

I dunno... I just know that in Massachusetts, they will impound if they catch you with shaved handles.

-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

azdaveDec-23-03 10:24 AM
694 posts,
#63836, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 8

I found a waterjet cutting service in LA that has agreed to do a small run of 18 sets for me at a little over $6 a set. This will allow me to do a few of the mods and get them out to test. I have a brand new set of handles that will be going in my Eclipse with the strength mod. I'm going to install one pair in my recently broken drivers side handle and test it to failure to confirm its usefulness on repairing a busted handle.

Stay tuned...

Shaved handles? Yeah, that's an afternoon job.

Happy Holidays to All.

scothernDec-25-03 03:33 PM
998 posts,
#63958, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 10

So what will these be made out of? If its anything remotly stronger then stock sign me up for a set. How much of a cost per set are you guessing? What color would they be in?

99 Eclipse RS

azdaveJan-04-04 04:53 AM
694 posts,
#64403, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 12

What I have done is designed a precision fit piece of steel that runs the entire length of each hinge. I did the mod to both my door handles and installed them over the holidays. Yesterday I took my original broken door handle and did the mod to it to see how it would hold up. I used JB Weld for the repair and it has only had about 20 hours to cure so it hasn't even reached full strength yet. See the pics below for the results.

I was able to lift two 50 lb. bags of concrete mix by lifting only on the door handle pull. Thats about all I can lift with my fingertips in such a small area to grip. I lifted it 9-10 times before I got a good pic with the self timer mode in my camera. I think thats a fairly good test as you can see in the pic the door handle is being stressed in the same direction as someone who would be pulling and lifting as they try to open a door. I guess I'll keep this handle for future tests. I now have a brand new set of handles and I'll do a photo shoot with them to show how to install the mod. If I sell handles ready to go they will either be primer black or gloss black. I don't have the time to paint the handles and probably will just offer the kits for the "do-it-yourselfers" after I have done a few.

How's this for strength?

The arrow shows where my handle was broken completely through.

I'll post again in a few days when I have the install pics ready.

Dave W.

scothernJan-04-04 02:22 PM
998 posts,
#64427, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 15

If your selling just a kit thats great. Just let me know the cost.

99 Eclipse RS

azdaveJan-05-04 10:08 AM
694 posts,
#64479, "RE: 2G Door Handle Fix Kit??"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by scothern
If your selling just a kit thats great. Just let me know the cost.

I sent you an email.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #63594 Previous topic | Next topic