Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #58677
View in linear mode

Subject: "101 uses for caliper paint" Previous topic | Next topic
sonny bkOct-01-03 08:34 AM
Member since Jun 23rd 2002
1171 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58677, "101 uses for caliper paint"

Went a little overboard, but happy with the outcome.
Paint has a smooth mirror finish shine. No signs of wear on any piece yet.

everything painted is with caliper paint (including the caps to the brake res, etc.)

engine bay (hopefully my valve cover paint won't burn off soon)

here's a close up...(i couldn't figure out how to polish the letters on the valve cover. Dremel wasn't working well. Too sloppy.)

And finally the brakes...(GSX fr and rr set up on its way)

WTB:
--bolt on turbo kit (star, hahn, etc.)
--rear drum to disc set up
--internals
---------------HOLLA!!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 101 uses for caliper paint, Collente, Oct-01-03 08:42 AM, #1
RE: 101 uses for caliper paint, 95_ESi_Person, Oct-01-03 08:43 AM, #2
RE: 101 uses for caliper paint, eclipticrider, Oct-01-03 01:05 PM, #3
      RE: 101 uses for caliper paint, sonny bk, Oct-01-03 02:22 PM, #4
           RE: 101 uses for caliper paint, eclipticrider, Oct-01-03 03:19 PM, #5
                RE: 101 uses for caliper paint, silvreclipsers, Oct-01-03 03:25 PM, #6
                     RE: 101 uses for caliper paint, sonny bk, Oct-01-03 07:34 PM, #7
                          RE: 101 uses for caliper paint, Blizare, Oct-01-03 07:38 PM, #8
                               RE: 101 uses for caliper paint, sinesis333, Oct-01-03 11:12 PM, #9
RE: 101 uses for caliper paint, eclipticrider, Oct-03-03 02:53 PM, #10
RE: 101 uses for caliper paint, sonny bk, Oct-06-03 07:22 PM, #11
      RE: 101 uses for caliper paint, DarKReaLity, Oct-07-03 05:16 AM, #12

CollenteOct-01-03 08:42 AM
Member since Sep 20th 2002
2447 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58679, "RE: 101 uses for caliper paint"
In response to Reply # 0

That looks kick ass good job.
Nick
97RS

turbo8u> shut your SUCK
ZAO684: NIPPLE warning...maybe>?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95_ESi_PersonOct-01-03 08:43 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#58680, "RE: 101 uses for caliper paint"
In response to Reply # 0

cool, looks real good!

eclipticriderOct-01-03 01:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1061 posts,
#58736, "RE: 101 uses for caliper paint"
In response to Reply # 2

the part that keeps burning off for me is the headers, i took my heat sheild off cuz it was falling appart and looking like crap, but the headers are idious, i painted them hi-temp silver and it keeps flaking off, the valve cover should be fine though, it don't get all that hot...

looks good though, maybe u shouldn't have painted the coolent bottle and fuse cover though...

but still looks awesome

WTB: Dodge Omni

http://www.geocities.com/shadyporshe851proof/frame_content/indexframe.html

mods: star stage III clutch + 60mm tb + the normal mods, bass, lights well u get the picture

sonny bkOct-01-03 02:22 PM
1171 posts,
#58747, "RE: 101 uses for caliper paint"
In response to Reply # 3

I found header paint that doesn't burn off, but its not a shiny finish, its more of a matt. It worked well and looked nice, but they gave off too much heat so I wrapped them.

No likey fuse cover and coolant? I know...way too much.
I definately went overboard, but I didn't like the color of the coolant bottle and the map on the fuse cover.

Painting has become as addicting as tatoos.
I'm finding hard to stop, LOL.

WTB:
--internals
---------------HOLLA!!!

eclipticriderOct-01-03 03:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1061 posts,
#58753, "RE: 101 uses for caliper paint"
In response to Reply # 4

those damn headers are hot as hell! i don't know how many times i got burnt on them damn things...i'm thinking if i use a wire brush on a drill to clean them up real good i might be able to use hi-temp paint... i didn't clean the rust off of them when i painted them... but i want to wrap them... whats a good one to use? i've seen them on summit or jcw or somewhere but is there any place cheaper to buy that stuff?

btw, i'd never paint over that map cuz i've had to use it too many times... did u at least take a picture or draw it out before u painted it... and isn't it hard to tell how your coolent is? i don't know it don't look bad but i'd like to see those thing if i wanted to... other wise it looks good... i don't know what colors to go with under the hood... i want to paint my strut bars but don't know what color... my main colors are, body/exterior-green green lights, interior- black/silver/blue lights

mods: star stage III clutch + 60mm tb + the normal mods, bass, lights well u get the picture

silvreclipsersOct-01-03 03:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1756 posts,
#58754, "RE: 101 uses for caliper paint"
In response to Reply # 5

looks good

sonny bkOct-01-03 07:34 PM
1171 posts,
#58816, "RE: 101 uses for caliper paint"
In response to Reply # 6

hahah...I photocopied the diagram on the fuse box. I keep a copy of that and my photocopied fuse box inside the car also (i lost that cover a while ago).

And here's a link to some really cheap header wrap that works:
http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,5654.html

ITS THE paint your using that's causing the peeling. NOt the rust on your headers. I can't remember what paint i used though. But i'll let you know when i get back from vacation.

WTB:
--internals
---------------HOLLA!!!

BlizareOct-01-03 07:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#58817, "RE: 101 uses for caliper paint"
In response to Reply # 7

take some 240 grit and a sanding block over the letters works awesome!!!! try it and youll be impressed....even use like a 400 after....super smooth and shiny

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

sinesis333Oct-01-03 11:12 PM
Member since Apr 02nd 2002
474 posts,
#58827, "RE: 101 uses for caliper paint"
In response to Reply # 8

^^^^^^^dude...is that a stock/cold air intake setup? What happened to the top piece?

~E~ 1999gs
AEM C.A.I./GS-T exhaust/Magnecore wires/Iridium Ngk's/Custom mesh Grill/Upper F/R strut tower bars/TB bored to 55mm/AFX UDP

eclipticriderOct-03-03 02:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1061 posts,
#59022, "RE: 101 uses for caliper paint"
In response to Reply # 0

how many feet do i need to wrap the headers??

tia

sonny bkOct-06-03 07:22 PM
1171 posts,
#59451, "RE: 101 uses for caliper paint"
In response to Reply # 10
Oct-06-03 07:23 PM by sonny bk

That is a custom cold air setup that goes to the front air dam. (much cheaper than AEM and just as effective).

And for the header wrap...you only need about 20 feet by 1". NOt that much at all. I have a lot left over that I may use for the rest of my exhaust.

WTB:
--internals
---------------HOLLA!!!

DarKReaLityOct-07-03 05:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
934 posts,
#59480, "RE: 101 uses for caliper paint"
In response to Reply # 11

real clean! good job man, i did the same thing with my valve cover except it's blue. and i like that cold ait set up, it actually looks like it came stock. and that heater wrap does wonders under the hood, you don't feel the hot air hardly when you open. i had isulated anything with hot exhaust. you'll keep the intake a little colder as well by keeping the hot air away from the pipe.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #58677 Previous topic | Next topic