Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105851
View in linear mode

Subject: "Turnsignal short?" Previous topic | Next topic
BlueMach5Oct-28-12 07:15 PM
Member since Jul 14th 2002
115 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105851, "Turnsignal short?"

95 GS

When the rpms go up or down the rate at which my turnsignals blink speed up or slow down too.

Any thoughts on where to begin? All bulbs are working. Could use some ideas wear to look or what to check if something might be damaged.

Thanks for any input.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Tired2Nov-28-12 12:29 PM
Member since Sep 23rd 2012
124 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105877, "RE: Turnsignal short?"
In response to Reply # 0

This may be a long shot but I'll try to help.

I imagine if you put a Volt meter on your battery and rev the engine, you'll see a corresponding increase/decrease in voltage with RPM. This is not typical (not a lot of swing at least)....

My guess is that when you rev up, it blinks faster (although you did not specify)... but if that is the case, the circuit is getting more voltage and is therefore able to pass more current through the blinker relay. Most of those I believe use heat to 'bend' a contact out of the way, turning the circuit off, then as it cools it makes contact again, and so on.

I think you have a bad alternator or some other aspect of your charging system, which is causing low voltage at low RPM. As you rev the motor, voltage goes up and it blinks at the appropriate rate.

If the voltage is constant at the battery, check as close to the blinker relay as you can and verify it is constant as well (on the input side).

If you have an under drive pulley, you'll be turning the alternator slower and it can cause low voltage at low RPM.

Voltage should be around 14v +/- 1v at the battery with the car running. If idle voltage goes down to 12.5v or lower, your charging circuit is limping along at lower RPM.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105851 Previous topic | Next topic