Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105848
View in linear mode

Subject: "Gauge cluster dead... " Previous topic | Next topic
Tired2Oct-25-12 09:59 AM
Member since Sep 23rd 2012
124 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105848, "Gauge cluster dead... "

So, this is a long shot, especially without any pictures...

Anyone had the gauge cluster go out on them?

It was working a while ago, but I've done a lot of work on the car and now it is dead. fuel level is pegged at E, Temp pegged at Hot, and no response from the tach.

I checked the fuses, they all are good.

I have a wiring diagram, just curious if anyone else has this sort of thing going on before I pull it apart.

There is also a 7 pin white connector hanging loose off the same harness that connects to the headlight switchs... I can't find where it goes, but I'm wondering if maybe it is for sunroof or convertible roof controls that my car does not have. (Mine's an RS)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Tired2Oct-31-12 06:50 AM
124 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105852, "RE: Gauge cluster dead... "
In response to Reply # 0

I think I got it.... For anyone else who has a problem...

Pop the bezel off and re-seat the gauge cluster (4 screws to remove). I have only been into the dash of my camaro, but it has a standard plug whereas the eclipse plugs in not unlike a Nintendo cartridge. I went ahead and blew on the connections for good measure.

I could not start it last night, but the coolant temp gauge went back to normal, so I assume I have power and functioning gauges again.

Previous owner only had 2 screws in and they were loose, I guess it just popped off.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Tired2Nov-28-12 12:12 PM
124 posts,
#105876, "RE: Gauge cluster dead... "
In response to Reply # 1

Just for completeness.... re-seating the gauges did not in fact fix my problem.... it fixed my temp gauge only (at least I think it did).

I decided that before I sat upside down in the drivers seat for hours with my DVM checking wires, I wanted to verify it was not a problem inside the "black box" that is the fuse box/bcm.

I grabbed a fresh junk yard fuse box at the pick a part place from a gs spyder. The BCM had a different harness on it, so I swapped my old bcm over (that black box on the back of the fuse box)...

All is well now. No connectors needed changed or anything. I have my tach back, fuel gauge, power windows, that awesome beeping sound, brake indicator, airbag lights, check engine light, etc!

For other removing the fuse box... there is a button on top that releases it from the bracket, no need to pull a bolt from the top, just a 10mm (I believe) at the bottom.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105848 Previous topic | Next topic