Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105825
View in linear mode

Subject: "Battery relocation questions" Previous topic | Next topic
eclipse420agsSep-20-12 05:51 AM
Member since Apr 23rd 2012
99 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105825, "Battery relocation questions"
Sep-20-12 05:51 AM by eclipse420ags

Anybody have a writeup on how to relocate the battery to the trunk? Also ive heard you can only use dry cell batteries, so my $100 duralast wont work? Does everybody take out the spare tire and drop it back there, is there a way to keep both? Last question, did sanybody relocate the fusebox while they were doing this, if so, where? Pics are welcome .Thanks to everyone in advance.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Battery relocation questions, SilvrEclips, Sep-21-12 09:48 AM, #1
RE: Battery relocation questions, eclipse420ags, Sep-22-12 07:35 PM, #2
      RE: Battery relocation questions, SilvrEclips, Sep-24-12 10:29 AM, #3
           RE: Battery relocation questions, eclipse420ags, Sep-26-12 05:16 PM, #4
                RE: Battery relocation questions, SilvrEclips, Sep-28-12 04:59 AM, #5
                RE: Battery relocation questions, eclipse420ags, Sep-28-12 06:30 AM, #6
                     RE: Battery relocation questions, eclipse420ags, Nov-20-12 07:36 AM, #7
                          RE: Battery relocation questions, DirtMegirt, Nov-20-12 12:44 PM, #8
                               RE: Battery relocation questions, eclipse420ags, Nov-20-12 01:02 PM, #9
                                    RE: Battery relocation questions, PsychO, Nov-20-12 07:02 PM, #10
                                         RE: Battery relocation questions, Gruff511, Nov-21-12 06:51 PM, #11
                                         RE: Battery relocation questions, eclipse420ags, Nov-26-12 08:59 AM, #12
                                         RE: Battery relocation questions, eclipse420ags, Jan-04-13 02:18 PM, #13
                                              RE: Battery relocation questions, PsychO, Jan-05-13 05:58 PM, #14
                                                   RE: Battery relocation questions, whtclipse98, Jan-11-13 10:07 AM, #15
                                                        RE: Battery relocation questions, eclipse420ags, Jan-11-13 01:09 PM, #16
                RE: Battery relocation questions, Socal420aT, Feb-27-13 07:13 PM, #17

SilvrEclipsSep-21-12 09:48 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105826, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 0

You only need a dry cell to pass tech in certain racing organizations. I have never had issues passing tech with SCCA for autox events with a wet cell battery without a box around it in the trunk. I removed the spare and all of the metal bracing that mounted it. Also lot of us move the fuse box behind the front bumper. You can do this without cutting any wires.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipse420agsSep-22-12 07:35 PM
99 posts,
#105827, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 1

Yea im in the process of cuttin all the brackets after I came to the realization there isnt any other good places to put it. Where in the front bumper near the horn?

SilvrEclipsSep-24-12 10:29 AM
534 posts,
#105828, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 2

Yes straight down from where it is now. You can squeeze it through there

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

eclipse420agsSep-26-12 05:16 PM
99 posts,
#105830, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 3

Can you put the battery strap over the plastic water cell covers on top of the battery?

SilvrEclipsSep-28-12 04:59 AM
534 posts,
#105831, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 4

Probably not ideal but I dont think you will have any issues doing so.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

eclipse420agsSep-28-12 06:30 AM
99 posts,
#105832, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 5

Ok cool pretty much the whole top of my duralst battery is those 2 plastic pieces thats why I was wondering.

eclipse420agsNov-20-12 07:36 AM
99 posts,
#105860, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 6

The four wires that comes off the fusebox what do I do with those? Which ones go to the battery?

DirtMegirtNov-20-12 12:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
205 posts,
#105862, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 7

You could check this out:

No_Splicing_Battery_Relocation

DirtMegirt
Wiki Contributor

eclipse420agsNov-20-12 01:02 PM
99 posts,
#105863, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 8

Yea but that doesnt help me I have the Hahn Turbo Kit so that would get in the way. Was wondering how others with reloaction in the trunk routed the wires to the fuse box,(theres 4).

PsychONov-20-12 07:02 PM
Member since Jun 10th 2004
166 posts,
#105864, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 9

There are 4 white wires that go from the positive terminal to the fuse box. I cut those down and put a (4) 18gauge to (1) 0gauge distro block under the fuse box. The 4 white wires are maybe 4-5 inches long now.

From the distro I have the 0 gauge wire running around the strut tower to a 0 gauge T. The zero gauge T splits off to the start wire. From there it continues through the firewall on the passenger side, along the door jam into the trunk.

It goes into a 250 amp circuit breaker before going to the battery. I used a seat belt bolt for the ground.

I plan on redoing it when I make the switch to MS using bulkhead fittings and the really flexible 0 gauge wire from knuconcepts.

Gruff511Nov-21-12 06:51 PM
Member since Aug 06th 2011
203 posts,
#105867, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 10

Those 4 smaller white wires go to the fuse box if i remember correctly. I got rid of them totally and used 1 4awg. My setup basically is '4ga wire from the starter and alternator to a distribution block and the 4awg wire from the fuse box as well, so thats 3 wires going to the dist. block and a 1ga wire running to the truck to a 160amp fuse then to battery. And battery is grounded in the back.

eclipse420agsNov-26-12 08:59 AM
99 posts,
#105873, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 11

How do you only use one 4awg? Are you bypassing the fuses then mounting another external fuse box?

eclipse420agsJan-04-13 02:18 PM
99 posts,
#105883, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 10
Jan-04-13 02:24 PM by eclipse420ags

Originally posted by PsychO
There are 4 white wires that go from the positive terminal to the fuse box. I cut those down and put a (4) 18gauge to (1) 0gauge distro block under the fuse box. The 4 white wires are maybe 4-5 inches long now. From the distro I have the 0 gauge wire running around the strut tower to a 0 gauge T. The zero gauge T splits off to the start wire.

I went this route worked good for me, thanks everyone.
P.S. Recently found out if you really need wire, Oreilly sells 0 guage. Thats what I had to do.

PsychOJan-05-13 05:58 PM
Member since Jun 10th 2004
166 posts,
#105884, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 13

Glad it worked out for you.

whtclipse98Jan-11-13 10:07 AM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
137 posts,
#105885, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 14

You don't want to use a just any battery to relocate it to the trunk. The main reason for using a dry cell battery is that they do not vent harmful gases out into the cabin of the car. Using a regular wet battery will vent out toxic gases into the cabin of the car, unless you use a box and vent the batter out to the exterior of the car. Do not just move a wet battery into the cabin of the car without either a box or a ventilation tube that is hooked to the battery. Any car that has a battery in the trunk from the manufacturer has a ventilation tube for that reason.

eclipse420agsJan-11-13 01:09 PM
99 posts,
#105886, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 15

Yea thats what I did got the "higher end" summit box and ran a tube through the floor.

Tried to brighten this one up looks kinda crappy.

Socal420aTFeb-27-13 07:13 PM
Member since Jun 01st 2012
25 posts,
#105895, "RE: Battery relocation questions"
In response to Reply # 4

just get the PC-680 and move your fuse box under the fender then put the battery where the fuse box was

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105825 Previous topic | Next topic