Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105751
View in linear mode

Subject: "Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts" Previous topic | Next topic
iamnotwhoiamJun-30-12 02:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105751, "Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts"

So I've been working on upgrading my dash/gauge lights over to LED's and wanted to share my progress and also test the waters on a v2 idea that I have for the gauge cluster.

Short story is I have converted all the lights in the hvac, all dash buttons, and gauge cluster over to using a white led back-lighting.

Tell me what you think.

Years ago on my first DSM I did something very similar, but used blue back-lighting, but using a slightly different method at least for the gauge cluster.

OLD:

NEW:

Gauge Cluster

HVAC

HVAC and other buttons

Other buttons

Needle rings

Additional lighting for odometer numbers - Added a strip to top and bottom

And, as far as v2... I'm thinking of creating a board and/or modifying the plastic back-board on the gauge overlays and put smd leds directly on it to more evenly light the gauges rather than how I used leds farther back the the cluster casing to create more of ambient lighting to light the gauges.

This picture is an idea of rings I would use and possible placement of leds on the rings to evenly light the overlays.

The challenge will be to maintain the thinness of the plastic backing... which should possible as I already was able to use a similar method on the needle rings I made.

Anyhow...

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts, Gruff511, Jun-30-12 05:22 PM, #1
RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts, 740 turbo brick, Jul-01-12 09:01 AM, #2
RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts, iamnotwhoiam, Jul-01-12 10:20 AM, #4
RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts, iamnotwhoiam, Jul-01-12 10:19 AM, #3
      RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts, Gruff511, Jul-01-12 11:02 PM, #5
           RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts, iamnotwhoiam, Jul-01-12 11:10 PM, #6
                RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts, Gruff511, Jul-01-12 11:26 PM, #7
                     RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts, Fotowntalon, Jul-02-12 08:58 AM, #8

Gruff511Jun-30-12 05:22 PM
Member since Aug 06th 2011
203 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105752, "RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts"
In response to Reply # 0

Niiiiice!! I did this same on my gauge cluster. A LOT brighter too!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

740 turbo brickJul-01-12 09:01 AM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#105753, "RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts"
In response to Reply # 1

Wow the white LEDs on the cluster look bad ass. It makes it go from that yellow/orange 90s look to a fresh off the showroom floor cars cluster. Wish I had the time/knowledge to do that.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

iamnotwhoiamJul-01-12 10:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#105755, "RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
Wow the white LEDs on the cluster look bad ass. It makes it go from that yellow/orange 90s look to a fresh off the showroom floor cars cluster. Wish I had the time/knowledge to do that.

yeah I hated that orange crap.

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

iamnotwhoiamJul-01-12 10:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#105754, "RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Gruff511
Niiiiice!! I did this same on my gauge cluster. A LOT brighter too!

How'd you do yours? Any pics?

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

Gruff511Jul-01-12 11:02 PM
203 posts,
#105756, "RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts"
In response to Reply # 3

I followed this thread. Did basically the same thing as you.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-exterior-interior/274519-how-light-gauge-cluster-leds.html

iamnotwhoiamJul-01-12 11:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#105757, "RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Gruff511
I followed this thread. Did basically the same thing as you. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-exterior-interior/274519-how-light-gauge-cluster-leds.html

Nice. Yep I used that one too. By chance how did you end up doing your needle rings?

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

Gruff511Jul-01-12 11:26 PM
203 posts,
#105758, "RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts"
In response to Reply # 6

Those were the hardest part lol I just soldered a small piece of wire between the smd leds

FotowntalonJul-02-12 08:58 AM
Member since Aug 09th 2009
350 posts,
#105759, "RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts"
In response to Reply # 7

Looks good. Well done sir!

97 Talon ESi 14.943@91.35MPH N/A!
"If you need someone to provide an itemized build of materials and a flowchart to walk you through every build-related question you will need to answer at each step of the process, you shouldn't be playing with cars. "-Driggs

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105751 Previous topic | Next topic