Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105678
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods" Previous topic | Next topic
Sorry_i_WinApr-25-12 04:11 PM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105678, "Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
Apr-25-12 04:15 PM by Sorry_i_Win

Anyone have any experience with these hoods?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-99-MITSUBISHI-ECLIPSE-FRONT-JDM-CARBON-FIBER-HOOD-SIDE-VENTED-COATED-TALON-/170822871314?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AEclipse%7CYear%3A1995&hash=item27c5d62912&vxp=mtr#ht_2833wt_1094

Looks well made... but you never know.

Here's what was in the description (for those of you like me - too lazy to click the link)

- Newest light weight design, weight reduction by 50%
- Made of grade A+ carbon fiber material
- UV coating protect the surface from the sun ray, won't be faded
- Metal hood latch for safety and protect the carbon fiber
- Smooth and round edges
- Directly bolt-on, OEM fitment, just like your factory one
- 1-Year warranty for all our products

I'm trying to decide between that one or a VIS Evo or VIS Invader style. I sold the OEM Carbon Fiber hood that's in my sig pic because it started to warp with heat. My thinking is that a vented hood of some type should help keep engine bay temps down.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods, Fotowntalon, Apr-25-12 04:45 PM, #1
RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods, eclipse420ags, Apr-25-12 07:46 PM, #2
      RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods, bluespunk, Apr-25-12 09:20 PM, #3
           RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods, SilvrEclips, Apr-26-12 05:36 AM, #4
                RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods, Moderatorxcasbonx, Apr-26-12 06:49 AM, #5
                     RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods, Fotowntalon, Apr-26-12 07:30 AM, #6
                          RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods, 740 turbo brick, Apr-26-12 04:33 PM, #7
                               RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods, 420agreenvilleSC, Apr-27-12 08:35 AM, #8
                                    RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods, Sorry_i_Win, Apr-27-12 09:17 AM, #9
                                         RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods, PinkPixi, Apr-28-12 03:43 AM, #10
                                              RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods, megaskillz, Apr-28-12 09:55 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods, Babbz413, Apr-29-12 09:30 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods, Fotowntalon, Apr-29-12 11:39 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods, Babbz413, Apr-29-12 07:00 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods, eclipse420ags, Apr-30-12 08:59 AM, #15

FotowntalonApr-25-12 04:45 PM
Member since Aug 09th 2009
350 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105679, "RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
In response to Reply # 0

I love my vader 2 style, you can feel the heat being sucked right from the headers, but in all honesty main reason of a CF hood is weight reduction. So you win regardless

97 Talon ESi 14.943@91.35MPH N/A!
"If you need someone to provide an itemized build of materials and a flowchart to walk you through every build-related question you will need to answer at each step of the process, you shouldn't be playing with cars. "-Driggs

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipse420agsApr-25-12 07:46 PM
Member since Apr 23rd 2012
99 posts,
#105680, "RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
In response to Reply # 1

I've got an ebay oem style hood it looked good the first year but the GA sun ate up the clear good. I didnt keep a good wax on it either defnitely lighter tho, oem hoods are freakin heavy.

bluespunkApr-25-12 09:20 PM
Member since Apr 08th 2008
98 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#105681, "RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
In response to Reply # 2

I don't know how they hold up, but keep us posted if you get it. I've had my eye on that style for a while.

SilvrEclipsApr-26-12 05:36 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#105682, "RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
In response to Reply # 3

That hood looks pretty sweet. I know of a few guys that have bought hoods off ebay and they seemed to be fine. Also get some hood pins for it.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

ModeratorxcasbonxApr-26-12 06:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#105683, "RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
In response to Reply # 4

I think the general rule of thumb here when buying a CF hood is...you get what you pay for.

I contributed to the Wiki.

FotowntalonApr-26-12 07:30 AM
350 posts,
#105684, "RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
In response to Reply # 5

I bought a quality one and the sun ate it up. Paid $100 to have it painted/re-clear coated. I'd always recommend getting at least one extra layer of clear coat on a CF hood, either that or using a cover.

"If you need someone to provide an itemized build of materials and a flowchart to walk you through every build-related question you will need to answer at each step of the process, you shouldn't be playing with cars. "-Driggs

740 turbo brickApr-26-12 04:33 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#105685, "RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
In response to Reply # 6

I had a no name CF hood and a VIS one, both OEM style. Hated the VIS, didnt latch on my 95 at all, and for some reason seemed a lot more cheaply made than the no namer. Id like to get another one soon, after my Dyno date and fix my suspension.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

420agreenvilleSCApr-27-12 08:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#105689, "RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
In response to Reply # 7

I had a hood EXACTLY like that. I had a good amount of high underhood temps, and after some time passed, this occurred and got worse every week. I tried a heat barrier, but it just peeled off so be aware.

over time, the heat started to cause the clearcoat to separate from the carbon fiber, thus uglyness began to occur and got worse

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Sorry_i_WinApr-27-12 09:17 AM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
#105690, "RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
In response to Reply # 8
Apr-27-12 09:18 AM by Sorry_i_Win

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
I had a hood EXACTLY like that. I had a good amount of high underhood temps, and after some time passed, this occurred and got worse every week. I tried a heat barrier, but it just peeled off so be aware. over time, the heat started to cause the clearcoat to separate from the carbon fiber, thus uglyness began to occur and got worse

Hmm... I definitely don't want that but I also plan on doing as much as possible to keep temps down (manifold wrap, maybe turbo blanket, vented hood, etc.).

I'm even thinking of modding my stillen from bumper to divert air under the car towards the exhaust manifold and out threw the hood vents. I just wonder if this will cause the hood's clear coat to be damaged like you described since the heat will be directed towards the hood.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

PinkPixiApr-28-12 03:43 AM
Member since Apr 04th 2012
66 posts,
#105691, "RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
In response to Reply # 9

I have no input on the CF hoods, but my husband built this for his car to combat his underhood temps

Its not done yet but I like it so far.

The front holes will be ducted to the radiator and the back drafts will pull off the manifold.

A candle burning on both ends is twice as bright but lasts half as long.

megaskillzApr-28-12 09:55 AM
Member since Oct 12th 2008
105 posts,
#105692, "RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
In response to Reply # 10

I would definitely recommend that you get your cf hood clear coated first. As with most cf hoods are gel coated and buffed to a glossy finish. Clear coating will add extra protection from the heat.

I currently have a vis evo cf hood. Before I purchased it I read uv protection from the sun and will not fade blah, blah, blah. The first summer in Louisiana heat it faded from black to yellow and eventually the vent section developed small cracks in the gel coat along the edges from engine heat.

98 GS manual - ATMT completed
91 Hyundai Excel- 4g63t swap pending
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2553845/1998-mitsubishi-eclipse

Babbz413Apr-29-12 09:30 AM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#105697, "RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
In response to Reply # 11

Loved my avenger carbon fiber hood. Got it off ebay. I believe your biggest worry should be how its handled during shipping. And a warning to any cf hood owners, don't keep your hood up on windy days. So light, wind blew mine up and disconnected from hood rod, then came smashing down on the hood rod, which took the paint of the fender and scuffed my hood.

95 GS Boosted

FotowntalonApr-29-12 11:39 AM
350 posts,
#105698, "RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by Babbz413
Loved my avenger carbon fiber hood. Got it off ebay. I believe your biggest worry should be how its handled during shipping. And a warning to any cf hood owners, don't keep your hood up on windy days. So light, wind blew mine up and disconnected from hood rod, then came smashing down on the hood rod, which took the paint of the fender and scuffed my hood.

Had the damn wind through my hood up of the latch while i was working on my car having it crash into my head. This is almost a common thing anymore

Babbz413Apr-29-12 07:00 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#105699, "RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by Fotowntalon
Originally posted by Babbz413 Loved my avenger carbon fiber hood. Got it off ebay. I believe your biggest worry should be how its handled during shipping. And a warning to any cf hood owners, don't keep your hood up on windy days. So light, wind blew mine up and disconnected from hood rod, then came smashing down on the hood rod, which took the paint of the fender and scuffed my hood.
Had the damn wind through my hood up of the latch while i was working on my car having it crash into my head. This is almost a common thing anymore

Yup. Sounds about right. Had my hood up working on something, walked away for a few, came back to find it down and the hood prop sticking out the side.

95 GS Boosted

eclipse420agsApr-30-12 08:59 AM
Member since Apr 23rd 2012
99 posts,
#105701, "RE: Ebay Carbon Fiber Hoods"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by Fotowntalon
Originally posted by Babbz413 Loved my avenger carbon fiber hood. Got it off ebay. I believe your biggest worry should be how its handled during shipping. And a warning to any cf hood owners, don't keep your hood up on windy days. So light, wind blew mine up and disconnected from hood rod, then came smashing down on the hood rod, which took the paint of the fender and scuffed my hood.

It didnt damage the hood at all?

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105678 Previous topic | Next topic