Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105240
View in linear mode

Subject: "High Beam Relay" Previous topic | Next topic
Dward90Apr-06-11 01:52 PM
Member since Mar 08th 2011
1 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105240, "High Beam Relay"

I would like to know if anyone knows where the relay for the high beams on a 98' Esi.

I lost my high beams about 3 months ago and tested for voltage on the high beam plugs and im only getting about half of what i should. the highbeam indicator light come on, on the dash so i dont think its the switch. All the other light relays and fuses are fine and the low beams still work.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AdministratorCODE4Apr-06-11 03:19 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105241, "RE: High Beam Relay"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.2gnt.com/?d=Fuse_Box_Covers

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

IslandertalonApr-06-11 06:22 PM
Member since Dec 19th 2006
46 posts,
#105242, "RE: High Beam Relay"
In response to Reply # 1

There's a high beam relay in the front wheelwell behind the splash guard. Its held on by one bolt and the four pins run the same way (parallel with one another).

Its right beside the day time running light module. If your car doesn't have the DRL module (I'm not sure if U.S cars have it or not)its roughly below where the ecu and fuse box are.

azdaveApr-07-11 04:04 PM
Member since Nov 25th 2003
694 posts,
#105243, "RE: High Beam Relay"
In response to Reply # 2

No such thing.

On US sold cars (non-DRL) there technically is not a high-beam relay. The power for the high beams is activated by the stalk switch and when you pull it the low beam relay activates sending power to both the low and high beams together. The reason the high beams don't stay on all the time with the low beams is that the ground path to the high beams is controlled by the normally open stalk switch contacts.

To say it another way...if your low beams are already active then your high beam are getting power too except that the stalk switch is NOT providing the ground path for the high beams so they stay off until you pull the switch and provide a ground connection.

Sounds weird but that's the way it is on all 2G's.

This is also the reason that people who run HIDs can't flash their brights during the day without activating the HID low beams each time (hard on the ballasts).

venge24Dec-07-11 09:47 PM
Member since Nov 15th 2009
33 posts,
#105566, "RE: High Beam Relay"
In response to Reply # 3

I had this problem, couldn't figure it out, so I bought some hid's and did my own wiring to a toggle switch, works great and I know I don't have the danger of "melting" the stock wires

740 turbo brickDec-07-11 10:26 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#105568, "RE: High Beam Relay"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by azdave
No such thing. On US sold cars (non-DRL) there technically is not a high-beam relay. The power for the high beams is activated by the stalk switch and when you pull it the low beam relay activates sending power to both the low and high beams together. The reason the high beams don't stay on all the time with the low beams is that the ground path to the high beams is controlled by the normally open stalk switch contacts. To say it another way...if your low beams are already active then your high beam are getting power too except that the stalk switch is NOT providing the ground path for the high beams so they stay off until you pull the switch and provide a ground connection. Sounds weird but that's the way it is on all 2G's. This is also the reason that people who run HIDs can't flash their brights during the day without activating the HID low beams each time (hard on the ballasts).

After reading this I am very glad I decided to put my high beam HIDs on a battery harness. I heard our low beam circuit is actually quite beefy and can stand up to HIDs, but the high beam circuit will fry the stalk switch without a harness. What you posted backs this up.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105240 Previous topic | Next topic