Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105107
View in linear mode

Subject: "I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorCorbinDec-12-10 08:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105107, "I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates"

I got jealous of the nice aluminum door sill plates in my wife's Mini and even my lowly Toyota. So, I decided to one-up:

What's better than aluminum plates? Stainless steel, of course. I had a machine shop laser out plates from 0.7mm bright annealed 316 stainless steel sheet. I then laid down a vinyl mask to cover what I wanted to remain polished. I used 70 grit aluminum oxide to media blast the letters.

I cleaned up the plates and used very thin 3M VHB to attach them to the original plastic sill plates.

I think they look good, but I am a sucker for shiny things. As usual, I made some extra ones (Talon and Eclipse) for anyone interested. See the for sale section about that.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-12-10 08:51 PM, #1
RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-12-10 08:55 PM, #2
      RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates, Moderatorteklein, Dec-12-10 09:01 PM, #3
           RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates, TeamDR1665, Dec-12-10 09:53 PM, #4
                RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates, PsychO, Dec-13-10 03:26 PM, #5
                     RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates, ModeratorCorbin, Dec-13-10 07:08 PM, #6
                          RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates, jdm1990, Dec-14-10 06:46 PM, #7
                               RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates, dalesmitsu, Dec-21-10 03:24 AM, #8
RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates, csmauley, Jan-03-11 08:26 PM, #9
RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates, AdministratorCODE4, Jan-03-11 08:29 PM, #10

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-12-10 08:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105108, "RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates"
In response to Reply # 0

You know, corbin, I wish the community had more of you. You excell in everything you do.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4Dec-12-10 08:55 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#105109, "RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DarkOne
You know, corbin, I wish the community had more of you. You excell in everything you do.

Could not have said it better.

---

2012 2500HD LML

ModeratortekleinDec-12-10 09:01 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#105110, "RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates"
In response to Reply # 2

Awesome! They look like they belong there.

Look forward to the FS post.

TeamDR1665Dec-12-10 09:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#105111, "RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates"
In response to Reply # 3

Well done, Corbin, as always.

PsychODec-13-10 03:26 PM
Member since Jun 10th 2004
166 posts,
#105112, "RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates"
In response to Reply # 4

Damn, I would like a set but I don't own either. Hah

ModeratorCorbinDec-13-10 07:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#105113, "RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates"
In response to Reply # 5

If I get enough interest to do another run, I'll take some custom orders (Avenger, Big Evil, etc). There is a lot of setup work for each step, so I have to make a bunch at a time.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

jdm1990Dec-14-10 06:46 PM
Member since Jun 19th 2010
76 posts,
#105120, "RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates"
In response to Reply # 6

Wow, I really like these.

dalesmitsuDec-21-10 03:24 AM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#105130, "RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates"
In response to Reply # 7

Great job.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

csmauleyJan-03-11 08:26 PM
Member since Sep 06th 2010
15 posts,
#105140, "RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates"
In response to Reply # 0

Not too bad... how much?

AdministratorCODE4Jan-03-11 08:29 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#105142, "RE: I Made Some Door Sill Plate...Plates"
In response to Reply # 9
Jan-03-11 08:30 PM by CODE4

Originally posted by Corbin
As usual, I made some extra ones (Talon and Eclipse) for anyone interested. See the for sale section about that.

Originally posted by csmauley
Not too bad... how much?

Check the FS/WTB Section.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105107 Previous topic | Next topic