Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105076
View in linear mode

Subject: "Painting car" Previous topic | Next topic
VendorRed90SevNov-29-10 10:43 PM
Member since Aug 28th 2010
261 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105076, "Painting car"

I'm considering re-painting my car, my question is for some of you that have done it in their own garages. I have seen guys paint in a non-clean room and just wet sand until all of the bump and such are out of the paint. How has this worked out for those of you that have done this, and is it very practical? Also, do you remove all of the weather stripping and seals from the exterior? Like the rear windows, hatch etc? And lastly, should I remove all of the parts that can be removed? (doors, hood, hatch, bumpers etc?) Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Painting car, eclipserstturbo, Nov-30-10 11:34 AM, #1
RE: Painting car, VendorRed90Sev, Nov-30-10 06:40 PM, #2
      RE: Painting car, 420agreenvilleSC, Nov-30-10 09:56 PM, #3
           RE: Painting car, VendorRed90Sev, Dec-01-10 03:12 AM, #4
                RE: Painting car, RoninEclipse2G, Dec-01-10 08:02 PM, #5
                     RE: Painting car, VendorRed90Sev, Dec-02-10 07:06 AM, #6
                          RE: Painting car, VendorRed90Sev, Dec-07-10 11:43 AM, #7
                               RE: Painting car, 95_ESi_Person, Dec-07-10 06:36 PM, #8
                                    RE: Painting car, RoninEclipse2G, Dec-08-10 06:03 PM, #9
RE: Painting car, csmauley, Jan-03-11 08:42 PM, #10
RE: Painting car, RoninEclipse2G, Jan-05-11 07:46 PM, #11
      RE: Painting car, brandonwh64, Apr-19-11 12:09 PM, #12
           RE: Painting car, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-19-11 01:10 PM, #13
                RE: Painting car, brandonwh64, Apr-19-11 01:23 PM, #14

eclipserstturboNov-30-10 11:34 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105077, "RE: Painting car"
In response to Reply # 0

It depends on how big of pieces of trash you get in the paint. And you can just tape up the weather stripping and other parts you don't want to paint with painters tape. The more parts you take off the better coverage you will have whilst painting. Highly recommend taking the bumpers, hood, and hatch off.

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

VendorRed90SevNov-30-10 06:40 PM
261 posts,
#105078, "RE: Painting car"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by eclipserstturbo
It depends on how big of pieces of trash you get in the paint. And you can just tape up the weather stripping and other parts you don't want to paint with painters tape. The more parts you take off the better coverage you will have whilst painting. Highly recommend taking the bumpers, hood, and hatch off.

So, when dealing with around the rear windows, you just sand in the space between the seal and the paint? what about the front doors? Do professional paint shops take that stuff off? Oh, btw, I'm going from red to black, so this is a complete color change. Thanks man.

420agreenvilleSCNov-30-10 09:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#105079, "RE: Painting car"
In response to Reply # 2

this weather/temp plays a big role on the quality of a paint job

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

VendorRed90SevDec-01-10 03:12 AM
261 posts,
#105080, "RE: Painting car"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
this weather/temp plays a big role on the quality of a paint job

Yeah, I'm gonna have to wait until spring, but was thinking about doing all of the sanding and such here soon. I have somewhat heat in the garage.

RoninEclipse2GDec-01-10 08:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#105081, "RE: Painting car"
In response to Reply # 4
Dec-01-10 08:02 PM by RoninEclipse2G

You don't need to remove the hood, but it does make it easier to paint if you can hang it on a wall. I would recommend removing the bumpers.

The nice thing about removing as much weatherstripping as possible is that it prevents tape lines in the paint which are almost always the starting points for paint chipping and peeling. If you can make it so that all tape lines are hidden under weatherstripping then you'll never have to worry about paint peeling as long as the prep work was done right.

Remove the weatherstripping from the front and rear windshields and replace with new when you're done. Also removing the mirrors, lamps door handles and the door upper moulding helps. About the only moulding that you can't really remove yourself is the quarter glass because the moulding is part of the glass. I was quoted $75 a while back to have the quarter glass removed and reinstalled after the paint was finished by a professional. They have a cool heat induction tool that melts the urethane holding the glass in place.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

VendorRed90SevDec-02-10 07:06 AM
261 posts,
#105084, "RE: Painting car"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
You don't need to remove the hood, but it does make it easier to paint if you can hang it on a wall. I would recommend removing the bumpers. The nice thing about removing as much weatherstripping as possible is that it prevents tape lines in the paint which are almost always the starting points for paint chipping and peeling. If you can make it so that all tape lines are hidden under weatherstripping then you'll never have to worry about paint peeling as long as the prep work was done right. Remove the weatherstripping from the front and rear windshields and replace with new when you're done. Also removing the mirrors, lamps door handles and the door upper moulding helps. About the only moulding that you can't really remove yourself is the quarter glass because the moulding is part of the glass. I was quoted $75 a while back to have the quarter glass removed and reinstalled after the paint was finished by a professional. They have a cool heat induction tool that melts the urethane holding the glass in place.

Very good info there, thanks a ton man. I'll be doing pretty much everything you advised. I am a perfectionist already, so I know this is going to be a task.

VendorRed90SevDec-07-10 11:43 AM
261 posts,
#105088, "RE: Painting car"
In response to Reply # 6

Just got done sanding and fixing all of the little imperfections on the hood. Damn, I don't like body work already, and all I did was the hood lol. It looks damn good though. I might wait until spring to start the rest of the car with Christmas coming up and family stuff. (just looking for a way out lol) But I will be using all of the helpful advice given.

95_ESi_PersonDec-07-10 06:36 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#105089, "RE: Painting car"
In response to Reply # 7

Don't forget flex agent for the bumpers/skirts.

As odd as it sounds, if you must mask, electrical tape provides a much cleaner line (mask over the electrical tape of course). I didn't believe it but my old neighbor was sharing his bodywork tricks.

Make your garage is dust free, it is amazing what can be kicked off of the floor/walls/etc when painting. Wait for a nice dry day as well.

RoninEclipse2GDec-08-10 06:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#105096, "RE: Painting car"
In response to Reply # 8

Electrical tape can be used in place of striping fineline tape, but for taping off mouldings I'd still use good ol' blue painters tape.

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

csmauleyJan-03-11 08:42 PM
Member since Sep 06th 2010
15 posts,
#105150, "RE: Painting car"
In response to Reply # 0

take out and off everything that you can. the job will look and last much better/longer

RoninEclipse2GJan-05-11 07:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#105159, "RE: Painting car"
In response to Reply # 10

Wow, what a waste of words there. Be aware that the mods don't take kindly to bumping every thread you can just to increase your post count to the minimum 25 for the BST section.

Erik P.

brandonwh64Apr-19-11 12:09 PM
Member since Apr 19th 2011
15 posts,
#105262, "RE: Painting car"
In response to Reply # 11

I am going to repaint my car here soon! my friend is going for collision repair college and owns his own building that he paints in. I have already taken the wing off to go wingless. I need to have a dent pulled out were my ground effect will fit properly. My question is, what are the part number for the clips that hold on the side skirts and such?

RoninEclipse2GApr-19-11 01:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#105265, "RE: Painting car"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by brandonwh64
I am going to repaint my car here soon! my friend is going for collision repair college and owns his own building that he paints in. I have already taken the wing off to go wingless. I need to have a dent pulled out were my ground effect will fit properly. My question is, what are the part number for the clips that hold on the side skirts and such?

Look here
http://www.2gnt.com/CAPS/main0sub0.html

Erik P.

brandonwh64Apr-19-11 01:23 PM
Member since Apr 19th 2011
15 posts,
#105266, "RE: Painting car"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Originally posted by brandonwh64 I am going to repaint my car here soon! my friend is going for collision repair college and owns his own building that he paints in. I have already taken the wing off to go wingless. I need to have a dent pulled out were my ground effect will fit properly. My question is, what are the part number for the clips that hold on the side skirts and such?
Look here http://www.2gnt.com/CAPS/main0sub0.html

Thank you! it was a big help! i will start taking off the side skirts for paint and hopfully getting the dent pulled

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105076 Previous topic | Next topic