Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105048
View in linear mode

Subject: "Targa top anyone?" Previous topic | Next topic
Babbz413Nov-16-10 07:01 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105048, "Targa top anyone?"

Anyone here ever worked on or know of someone who worked on making a car a targa? Even better would be someone with a 2g who logged it all online somewhere. Any thing would help. I'm looking for some how to techniques on sealing.

Thanks.

95 GS Boosted

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Targa top anyone?, J, Nov-16-10 08:10 PM, #1
RE: Targa top anyone?, Babbz413, Nov-16-10 09:50 PM, #2
RE: Targa top anyone?, bagged420a, Nov-16-10 10:32 PM, #3
      RE: Targa top anyone?, Locke_db, Nov-16-10 11:00 PM, #4
           RE: Targa top anyone?, 740 turbo brick, Nov-17-10 01:10 PM, #5
                RE: Targa top anyone?, 420agreenvilleSC, Nov-17-10 04:11 PM, #6
                     RE: Targa top anyone?, Nightfall, Nov-17-10 05:33 PM, #7
                          RE: Targa top anyone?, Babbz413, Nov-17-10 05:54 PM, #8
                               RE: Targa top anyone?, bagged420a, Nov-17-10 06:35 PM, #9
RE: Targa top anyone?, RoninEclipse2G, Nov-17-10 07:38 PM, #10
      RE: Targa top anyone?, ez, Nov-17-10 08:41 PM, #11
           RE: Targa top anyone?, VendorRed90Sev, Nov-18-10 03:39 AM, #12
                RE: Targa top anyone?, whtclipse98, Jan-09-11 11:33 PM, #13
                     RE: Targa top anyone?, Slo2g, Jan-10-11 12:21 AM, #14
                          RE: Targa top anyone?, Shake_Zulla, Jan-11-11 03:56 PM, #15
                               RE: Targa top anyone?, Slo2g, Jan-11-11 04:12 PM, #16
RE: Targa top anyone?, astaindsoul5446, Mar-26-11 09:06 AM, #17

JNov-16-10 08:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105049, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 0

The problem is not sealing, it's the chassis twisting... the only reliable way (in my mind) would be to buy a Spyder Convertible, and chop the top off a donor hard-top (just think of all the fun you'll have w/ the hatch). This topic comes up every so often, just search.

- J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Babbz413Nov-16-10 09:50 PM
260 posts,
#105050, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 1

The chop has already been done. A cage has been installed in the car as well already. I'm looking for ideas on what others have done to get it to properly seal.

95 GS Boosted

bagged420aNov-16-10 10:32 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2009
107 posts,
#105051, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 2

Have you done any support to the frame at all? And I know there is a guy on tuners that has done it

Locke_dbNov-16-10 11:00 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2006
89 posts,
#105053, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 3

Guy on Tuners was "SnoopySLR".

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=287

740 turbo brickNov-17-10 01:10 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#105055, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 4

Not sure if Im thinking of the same guy, but Im remember seeing an orange talon that was Targa top.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

420agreenvilleSCNov-17-10 04:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#105056, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 5

want a challenge? do this with no flex: http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=101335&mode=full

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

NightfallNov-17-10 05:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
335 posts,
#105057, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 6
Nov-17-10 05:34 PM by Nightfall

My 95 GS is targa chopped but is far from being finished. I would love to have a removable sealed top but after thinking about it for awhile, I convinced myself it would be more trouble than it's worth and that if I ever did finish it I would just keep it in the garage and not drive in the rain, or would I..hmmm lol. Only other option I came up with at the time was to take my friends spare/warped top(funny story) from his Supra and use that hardware along with some creative engineering to make it all work. As far as frame modifications, welded/shaved doors. Probably not as strong as it could be with "proper" reinforcements but better than nothing. Maybe one day I'll finish her up but I have other projects that need my full attention right now...

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=98265&mode=full

Babbz413Nov-17-10 05:54 PM
260 posts,
#105058, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks for all the information. I'm aware of the body flex issues without a roof. Like I said the car is already cut and caged. Just having some issues with it sealing. I posted this in hopes someone on here had done would and could chime in with some pictures.

95 GS Boosted

bagged420aNov-17-10 06:35 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2009
107 posts,
#105059, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 8

I forget who, maybe tanabe, makes under braces for our cars. Might be worth the money for the added strength.

RoninEclipse2GNov-17-10 07:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#105060, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by bagged420a
I forget who, maybe tanabe, makes under braces for our cars. Might be worth the money for the added strength.

Slight problem, they don't go front to rear. The under braces just cover the open areas that the suspension rests in.

As for the OP's original question...
Originally posted by J
The problem is not sealing, it's the chassis twisting... the only reliable way (in my mind) would be to buy a Spyder Convertible, and chop the top off a donor hard-top (just think of all the fun you'll have w/ the hatch). This topic comes up every so often, just search. - J

This is the route that I was looking at when I was considering doing a targa. Too bad my parts car has a sunroof. Really, if you were to make the cut on the donor hard top around the line of the tail lights along the quarter panels it would leave you with plenty of metal to work with for lining up the roof and hatch. Also with using the 'vert as your base it would give you all the front seals and latches already made and all you'd need to work out would be how to attach the targa at the rear.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

ezNov-17-10 08:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#105061, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 10

I would like to see a chopped-top 2g. I have a gut feeling the lines would look even better.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

VendorRed90SevNov-18-10 03:39 AM
Member since Aug 28th 2010
261 posts,
#105062, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 11
Nov-18-10 03:41 AM by Red90Sev

Kinda looks weird where the hatch is supposed to connect to the roof. But kinda cool.

whtclipse98Jan-09-11 11:33 PM
137 posts,
#105169, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 12

^^^ I was just gonna reference that pic. That is the only successful targa topped eclipse that I know of and if I remember correctly, there are still sealing problems. The sucker is caged like nothing else to. Its a nice idea but not worth all the cage work.

Slo2gJan-10-11 12:21 AM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#105170, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 13

Guy named SnoopySLR or something like that on tuners had a 2gnt-t with a targa top.

Shake_ZullaJan-11-11 03:56 PM
Member since Dec 03rd 2010
42 posts,
#105171, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 14

It's only a matter of time before someone decides to murder another 2g and make a T-TOP eclipse.

96 RS
95 Toyota pickup - 8" lift, 33's (sold)
07 Toyota tacoma - TRD Sport
13 Ford Fusion

I like logic more when it travels in circles.

Slo2gJan-11-11 04:12 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#105172, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 15
Jan-11-11 04:16 PM by Slo2g

In europe they made a targa top 1g, i've always wanted one since I've seen it...

And here is the 2g i was talking about...

The 1g is an OEM EDM car, the talon on the other hand was a long project. If I remember right he could drive it, but he still had problems with chassis flex. He said he still had to weld some reinforcements to the car to make it how he wanted it...

astaindsoul5446Mar-26-11 09:06 AM
Member since Oct 01st 2006
65 posts,
#105236, "RE: Targa top anyone?"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Babbz413
Anyone here ever worked on or know of someone who worked on making a car a targa? Even better would be someone with a 2g who logged it all online somewhere. Any thing would help. I'm looking for some how to techniques on sealing. Thanks.

I saw a full vid of transformation from ppl overseas i believe that did a full targa. But, also had to cage it. Its on YouTube. I was searching around and came across it. Not really well detailed but it's an in progress look at the work. It would be fun to do though. They took the targa out of a supra and just molded it in near the upper part of the hatch...

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105048 Previous topic | Next topic