Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #104738
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Power Switches... answer me this" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
nothingfictionJul-02-10 02:54 AM
Member since Apr 10th 2006
23 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#104738, "Power Switches... answer me this"

Ok, I have a few questions and so far all my reading last 2 weeks i am finding no affirmative answers. and what i do find is just barely grazed then skipped.

Ok, so i have a 97 Eclipse RS with power windows, locks and that is all. No power mirrors, no fog lights, no rear wiper. i HATE staring at blank faceplates knowing something is supposed to go in there. i have recently purchased all of the switches that came with any 2G dsm. even a new (black) dimmer switch.

First question...
is the dimmer switch itself actually supposed to light up as well? i know that all of the other switches do, but is the dimmer supposed to illuminate as well? My stock one never did, but then again it may have burnt out. and the one i recently put in was used and may have burnt out as well. So i thought i would ask.

My car was not manufactured with fog lights, and driving up in Canada in the winter it would be so much better to have them, so i got the brackets, the lights, and the bezels and installed them. Got a new (black) switch for them too. the Switch had a harness already for it that i just plugged them into. So far... everything was easy... However... they are still not hooked up at all. i have failed to jack the car up and climb under there to find out if the wiring is all set and i can just plug them into something once jacked up or not. Another post on here said that all the wiring should be there but then i read a hundred other posts saying i need to hack my harnesses and wire them myself. is the wiring there or not?

Number three...
With all the looking about power mirrors all i am finding is people wanting to actually put power mirrors in. i do not. i just want to install the power mirror switch (which is easy...) but is there a connector back there to hook it up to so that it will illuminate even though it will not actually work? i looked but i didn't see anything, might have been down there deep. i don't know.

and lastly... the rear wiper switch. obviously i have no rear wiper, nor do i plan to ever get one. i took the upper vent out to install the switch and looked but could not find any sort of wiring harness at all. i guess there isn't one at all? Given i have no rear wiper you may ask why bother getting a switch and blah blah blah. As i stated before, i hate blank faceplates... and the rear wiper switch i think could easily be used for a switch to something else (such as undercar neons or something). So again... another useless switch, however i would love it if i could get it to illuminate.

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
740 turbo brickJul-02-10 10:35 AM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#104739, "RE: Power Switches... answer me this"
In response to Reply # 0

As far as I know, all the switches are supposed to illuminate. But being a DSM, half of them will not. My car most of them light up, but the center vent with the wiper and hazard switches do not. There was one day I turned on my lights and they worked. I was like WTF!? Next day and since then they havent though.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratortekleinJul-02-10 10:45 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#104740, "RE: Power Switches... answer me this"
In response to Reply # 1

You only have the dash side wiring. You wont have plugs at the front for the fogs. I wired mine through a relay using the stock switch.

nothingfictionJul-02-10 03:15 PM
23 posts,
#104741, "RE: Power Switches... answer me this"
In response to Reply # 2

All of my lights currently work except the ones already mentioned. Only light that doesn't work is the dome light when the doors open. Hatch light always works, driver side door never works, and the passenger door light works a quarter of the time lol.

from everything i read about the foglights i figured the wiring wouldn't be there up front at the actual lights but had to ask. So how did you wire them using the stock switch and a resistor?

Since i have the dash wiring for the fogs should i have the dash wiring for the rear wiper and/or for the power mirrors? i'm just talking about the wiring that the switches themselves plug into. not the rest of the wiring harness that i know isn't there.

RoninEclipse2GJul-02-10 04:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#104742, "RE: Power Switches... answer me this"
In response to Reply # 3

My dimmer switch never lit up that I know of and I've had my car since 98.

Like tim said, even though there is a plug for the switch, there's no harness for the fog lights themselves. The front end harness is a seperate setup from the RS to the GS, but all the interior harnesses are the same with the exception of the infinity sound systems.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

nothingfictionJul-03-10 12:18 AM
23 posts,
#104746, "RE: Power Switches... answer me this"
In response to Reply # 4

After dissecting a dimmer switch tonight i ran across this... NO there is NO light inside the dimmer switch. Therefor it can not light up.

Also, looking at the wiring tonight i discovered this... i DO have the dash harness to connect the power mirror switch to (it just will NOT work as i have manual mirrors). But it still lights up just fine.

now when i get time i will take a closer look at the rear wiper harness as i could not find it before. assuming i have the harnesses for all of the other switches i should have the harness for the rear wiper i would believe. But, i will let you all know what i find, when i find something.

RoninEclipse2GJul-03-10 09:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#104748, "RE: Power Switches... answer me this"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by nothingfiction
Also, looking at the wiring tonight i discovered this... i DO have the dash harness to connect the power mirror switch to (it just will NOT work as i have manual mirrors). But it still lights up just fine. now when i get time i will take a closer look at the rear wiper harness as i could not find it before. assuming i have the harnesses for all of the other switches i should have the harness for the rear wiper i would believe. But, i will let you all know what i find, when i find something.

Like I said, there's no difference in the dash harnesses unless you have the infinity system, and that's just wiring for the amp. I know that the rear body harnesses have slight differences from year to year so they might be different for cars with the rear wiper VS without. I'll take a look in my car to see if the wiring is there in the car side harness for a rear wiper. I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring IS there and you just need a hatch with the wiper.

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

nothingfictionJul-04-10 05:28 PM
23 posts,
#104766, "RE: Power Switches... answer me this"
In response to Reply # 6

Upon looking a second time, it appears as if NO i do not have the dash plugs for the rear wiper. Maybe if i knew what the plug looked like it could help. There are a few plugs i found that don't go to anything but they would not reach into the hvac area. if i did have it i could just spice the wires and lengthen them to fit if i had to. But it doesn't matter to me with my application anyways.

RoninEclipse2GJul-05-10 10:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#104767, "RE: Power Switches... answer me this"
In response to Reply # 7

Often times if the option wasn't even an option (like power mirrors or a rear wiper on an RS) the harness plug was taped back out of the way. I thought my RS didn't have the harness for power mirror switch but Tim showed me where it was taped back

Erik P.

electroheadJul-08-10 12:17 AM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
#104773, "RE: Power Switches... answer me this"
In response to Reply # 8

My dimmer switch actually lit up for the first time tonight, after I replaced the one bulb behind the HVAC controls. (Finally got off my ass to tinker with my car after 8 months of not seeing my controls). The only thing that bugged me is that I bought #74 bulbs, but the bulb was a bit bigger and the plug end was a bit shorter, requiring me to shave some of the plastic off the plug to allow the light to sit a little lower and lock in (I just don't know if it's touching the backside of the controls and if that would cause a problem). Also, my car has the fog light harnesses in the engine bay, as well as every switch harness for every single option. I wonder if it's because my car was built in June of '94. Maybe they wanted to save a little later on. Don't know.

nothingfictionJul-08-10 09:52 PM
23 posts,
#104774, "RE: Power Switches... answer me this"
In response to Reply # 9
Jul-09-10 06:06 PM by nothingfiction

Mine was built in 97 and is listed as a 97 according the the original manufacturing sticker. But i have found the harness to everything except the rear wiper. but that's fine. and i have dissected my oem dimmer switch and the (black) replacement i ordered and neither of them have a light in them at all. maybe they decided not to illuminate the dimmer later on? and the white with the dimmer insignia is just a sticker. its not like the other switches where its a clear white piece covered with a thin layer of plastic.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #104738 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic