Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #104338
View in linear mode

Subject: "Repairing a cracked Motegi MR7" Previous topic | Next topic
AdministratorCODE4Jan-25-10 07:57 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#104338, "Repairing a cracked Motegi MR7"
Jan-25-10 08:36 PM by CODE4

Thanks to Terry for suggesting to have this TIGed.

I am the original owner of these Motegi MR7s 16x7 +42mm wheels since 2003. These rims have seen their share of potholes and abuse from my driving when I first had the Eclipse. Every rim has a blip or small bend on the lip. One in particular I have been putting up has been bleeding air through a small crack behind one of the spokes. Today I had the tire dismounted and brought the rim over to my favorite machine shop where they ground away at the damage and TIG it shut.

As I watched the machinist grind away at the paint on the outside (the side not seen with the tire mounted) we both saw that under the paint in that area was a JB Weld/epoxy of some sort. It appeared to be a casting flaw that was repaired at the factory with an epoxy and then painted over. The stress of the pothole hit years ago found that area as the weak point. What started off looking like a finger nail length crack quickly turned into a repair that required several beads to seal the whole area. He had to grind it all the way through in a small area to fill in the void.

You get what you pay for I guess. MR7s are pretty cheap but I was blown away that the American Racing/Motegi factory would take the time repair such a casting flaw. Sorry for the cell phone pictures, but it was on the fly.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

NemoJan-31-10 11:41 AM
Member since Nov 28th 2008
366 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#104347, "RE: Repairing a cracked Motegi MR7"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for the post. I found it interesting also that the factory tried to repair flaws. I'm shopping around for rims and that'll give me more to look at or ask about.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

dalesmitsuFeb-05-10 02:28 AM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#104364, "RE: Repairing a cracked Motegi MR7"
In response to Reply # 1

Oh, man thats sucks. Interesting repair job, thread. I've read about fixing damaged rim edges by tig welding. This is the first, I've seen but I heard about it.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #104338 Previous topic | Next topic