Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #103432
View in linear mode

Subject: "Suede and Vinyl Interior Project" Previous topic | Next topic
greekgodchaosMay-07-09 12:10 AM
Member since Jul 04th 2007
9 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#103432, "Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"

Hey guys, after some serious thought, I'm scrapping my yellow/black interior and going for a look that combines the 09 GT-R and the Lamborghini LP-670, all black on black with leather and suede. I have a few questions before I start. First off, lemme clarify I am still up in the air whether I want to do half suede (planning on using Black Microsuede) and half vinyl or all suede (I would really appreciate your guys' input). Second, if I do choose to go with the vinyl, most of it will go on the dash which leads me to another question, how well does vinyl fabric conform to corners and rounded edges? Can a heat blower used to shape it? And if not, what could I use? Third, has anyone here worked with faux suede and if so, what sort of advice can you give me? Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from you guys soon.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, RoninEclipse2G, May-07-09 06:00 PM, #1
RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, Moderatorteklein, May-07-09 07:48 PM, #2
RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, whtclipse98, May-07-09 10:31 PM, #3
      RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, Cyexmaster, May-08-09 09:48 AM, #4
           RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, lilceez24, May-13-09 08:13 PM, #5
                RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, whtclipse98, May-14-09 08:22 PM, #6
RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, BlackBomexTalon, May-29-09 04:27 AM, #7
      RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, ez, May-29-09 02:19 PM, #8
      RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, eclipse982nrRST, May-29-09 06:20 PM, #9
           RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, BlackBomexTalon, May-30-09 12:09 AM, #10
                RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, ez, May-30-09 04:34 PM, #11
      RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, daes_venge, May-30-09 10:38 PM, #12
           RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, BlackBomexTalon, May-31-09 01:47 AM, #13
           RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-02-09 05:53 PM, #14
                RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, Smokey719, Sep-02-10 05:22 PM, #17
                     RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, csmauley, Sep-06-10 07:21 PM, #18
RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, dsm247, Jul-15-10 10:23 PM, #15
RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project, electrohead, Jul-18-10 07:39 PM, #16

RoninEclipse2GMay-07-09 06:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#103444, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 0

microfiber suede works like normal fabric so if your sewing skills are decent it's great to work with. sheet vinyl won't take all the contours of our dash without bunching if you try to do it in one piece. I'm thinking of tearing the vinyl off my old dash if it's not too warped and recovering it in fresh foam padding and microfiber suede.

be warned, upholstery grade faux suede will run you $40-50 a yard and you don't want to use anything less on any surface that will see regular wear. you'll need about 2-3 yards for the dash and about 3 yards per seat.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratortekleinMay-07-09 07:48 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#103445, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 1

Dash will be hard. Maybe splitting pieces up with some nice symmetrical stitching would look alright.

whtclipse98May-07-09 10:31 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
137 posts,
#103447, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 2

if you put the stiching in places that would make sense it would look pretty good I guess. Like around the hump were the gauges cluster and a/c vents sit.

CyexmasterMay-08-09 09:48 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
324 posts,
#103449, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 3

Real hard project! I will recommend the suede for the dash vinyl just will be a PITA. But for the other stuff you could use it.

Status- Need to do break-in...

Try not to challenge me, I'd rather tie up than lose. Either way you NEVER WIN.... - Me..

lilceez24May-13-09 08:13 PM
Member since May 06th 2009
4 posts,
#103478, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 4

my suggestion would be to 2 tone the dash. I would do the suede around the gauge cluster with a french seam connecting it to the vinyl covering the rest of the dash. then you could also wrap the pieces around the radio and the center console with the suede and 2 tone the seats suede inserts with vinyl outer. the vinyl should cover it fine tho just remember to heat it up to get it to stretch but dont heat and pull to much or you will get stretch marks if you use a good quality glue you should be fine

whtclipse98May-14-09 08:22 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
137 posts,
#103484, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 5

Sounds like you got some knowledge on ya bout doing interiors......wanna do mine lol

BlackBomexTalonMay-29-09 04:27 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2004
88 posts,
#103542, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 1
May-29-09 04:29 AM by BlackBomexTalon

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
microfiber suede works like normal fabric so if your sewing skills are decent it's great to work with. sheet vinyl won't take all the contours of our dash without bunching if you try to do it in one piece. I'm thinking of tearing the vinyl off my old dash if it's not too warped and recovering it in fresh foam padding and microfiber suede. be warned, upholstery grade faux suede will run you $40-50 a yard and you don't want to use anything less on any surface that will see regular wear. you'll need about 2-3 yards for the dash and about 3 yards per seat.

I know I'm late to chime in but he's pretty much on key, microfiber is great to work with as long as you're pretty competent in the area. The vinyl would be fine but then its going to look pretty much stock.

The main thing after the whole sewing aspect is to make sure you have true upholstery grade glue. This is imperative in making sure you have a nice install. Cheap glues give out, and especially on the dash. Think of all the heat from the sun and this will break down cheap glues with the quickness.

If you plan on doing this yourself you'll need #12 thread and, I just busted out the old Wyotech books the check and make sure I'm right, about 6yrds of material per high-back bucket seat (which is opposed to 5 yrds for a low back), 1 yrd per headrest, 6-7 yrds to be safe on our dashs, 5-6 yards on the back seat, 5 yrds on the headliner with the visors included, 4yrds per door panel( dependent on how you did it), the same for the rear quarters, 2yrds for the kick panels, and 3 for the package tray.

Thats 55 yrds but a whole roll is 50yrds and thats in a 54" width. I say with some carefull layout of the patterns you could squeek out using a roll.

Dont forget all the other shit such as hog rings w/ pliers, quality shears, a steam machine, and so on. Its not a terribly hard task if you can sew, it just takes careful planning and steady hands.

Oh and I dug out some old pics from when I was in tech. My friend did his car while we were in trim but, these are the only ones I can find

2.4 Swapped again...

ezMay-29-09 02:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#103543, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 7

Wow, that looks really nice.

Staying on topic, how did you guys remove the dash to work on it? This is something I've never really seen a write-up for on the board. And out of curiousity - any guess as to how much the dash weighs? I'm considering getting someone to CF a replacement for me

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

eclipse982nrRSTMay-29-09 06:20 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#103544, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by ez
Wow, that looks really nice. Staying on topic, how did you guys remove the dash to work on it? This is something I've never really seen a write-up for on the board. And out of curiousity - any guess as to how much the dash weighs? I'm considering getting someone to CF a replacement for me

Maybe 15-18lbs guestimating with all the vents hooked up to it.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

BlackBomexTalonMay-30-09 12:09 AM
88 posts,
#103545, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 9

Oh man this was done like 2 and a half years ago, but basically start taking out the clipped in items, then start unscrewing the smaller pieces on the bottom and work your way up to the defrost vents. Gently tug and pull on pieces to see where they're attached.
If I remember correctly mike had like eleventy billion screws everywhere after taking it out.

Its not hard to do, you just have to label stuff to remember where it goes just like anything else. A few months ago I completely stripped my old 88 celica all-trac cause cancer ate it up, but taking the dash out was just taking stuff out until it came out. Everything under a dash though is held together by a beam that bolts to the mid a-piller area. Thats where the passenger side air-bag bolts to, most hvac shit is attached, and the main harness runs along.

As far as a carbon fiber dash, I've thought of making a mold several times, but I would need a perfect starting point and some canadians actually beat me to the punch.

http://squidskins.com/html/eagle.html

They sell a Fiberglass dash for roughly $410 USD but since they make other carbonfiber parts I'm sure he could pump on out for you.

2.4 Swapped again...

ezMay-30-09 04:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#103546, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 10

If you ever get the energy to make a mold, hit me up.

Squidskins is the company everyone always talked about on this board, but no one ever had pics or experience. I think I heard bits on dsmtuners that said squidskins only made dry carbon parts (unlike the beautiful stuff you'd get with topshop) and the fitment was poor. There was also the talk that somehow, squidskins removed 800 lbs off a 2g with carbon fiber work alone.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

daes_vengeMay-30-09 10:38 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
252 posts,
#103552, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by BlackBomexTalon
I just busted out the old Wyotech books the check and make sure I'm right, about 6yrds of material per high-back bucket seat (which is opposed to 5 yrds for a low back), 1 yrd per headrest, 6-7 yrds to be safe on our dashs, 5-6 yards on the back seat, 5 yrds on the headliner with the visors included, 4yrds per door panel( dependent on how you did it), the same for the rear quarters, 2yrds for the kick panels, and 3 for the package tray. Thats 55 yrds but a whole roll is 50yrds and thats in a 54" width.

Are you confused between yards and feet? You are way overestimating on yardage.

BlackBomexTalonMay-31-09 01:47 AM
88 posts,
#103553, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by daes_venge

Straight from the wyotech manual. I tried looking for it tonight again but my g/f cleaned so now I can only find my streetrod book. It could have been foot per linear yard. I graduated from upholstery in December of '06 and havent done much since so it is kinda hazy.

2.4 Swapped again...

RoninEclipse2GJun-02-09 05:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#103567, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 12
Jun-02-09 05:54 PM by RoninEclipse2G

Originally posted by BlackBomexTalon I just busted out the old Wyotech books the check and make sure I'm right, about 6yrds of material per high-back bucket seat (which is opposed to 5 yrds for a low back), 1 yrd per headrest, 6-7 yrds to be safe on our dashs, 5-6 yards on the back seat, 5 yrds on the headliner with the visors included, 4yrds per door panel( dependent on how you did it), the same for the rear quarters, 2yrds for the kick panels, and 3 for the package tray. Thats 55 yrds but a whole roll is 50yrds and thats in a 54" width.

I'm thinking the same thing. I calculated 2+ yards for the dash with approximately the same for each seat and the rear bench. Another yard for the headliner and some scraps for the shift boot and door inserts. If you covered every square inch of the interior you still wouldn't come up to 55 yards.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Smokey719Sep-02-10 05:22 PM
Member since Mar 14th 2008
28 posts,
#104870, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 14
Sep-02-10 05:24 PM by Smokey719

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Originally posted by BlackBomexTalon I just busted out the old Wyotech books the check and make sure I'm right, about 6yrds of material per high-back bucket seat (which is opposed to 5 yrds for a low back), 1 yrd per headrest, 6-7 yrds to be safe on our dashs, 5-6 yards on the back seat, 5 yrds on the headliner with the visors included, 4yrds per door panel( dependent on how you did it), the same for the rear quarters, 2yrds for the kick panels, and 3 for the package tray. Thats 55 yrds but a whole roll is 50yrds and thats in a 54" width.
I'm thinking the same thing. I calculated 2+ yards for the dash with approximately the same for each seat and the rear bench. Another yard for the headliner and some scraps for the shift boot and door inserts. If you covered every square inch of the interior you still wouldn't come up to 55 yards.

WAY overestimated I'm in Trim right now and the book Says 6 Yards per pair of High Back buckets this includes headrests, Probably 3 for Dash, 2 yards for the Headliner, 4 Yards per door no offense but are you mad? WAY WAY OVERESTIMATED!

EDIT
Sorry I just realized how old this post was...

csmauleySep-06-10 07:21 PM
Member since Sep 06th 2010
15 posts,
#104876, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 17

looks great man, keep up the good work

dsm247Jul-15-10 10:23 PM
Member since Jun 29th 2010
23 posts,
#104788, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 0

nice project

electroheadJul-18-10 07:39 PM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
#104795, "RE: Suede and Vinyl Interior Project"
In response to Reply # 15

Someone is bringing back too many threads back to life. Trying to get on the marketplace by chance?

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #103432 Previous topic | Next topic