Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #102957
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aerocatch hood pin install" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
abnt89Feb-19-09 09:42 AM
Member since Dec 10th 2008
58 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#102957, "Aerocatch hood pin install"
Feb-19-09 09:43 AM by abnt89

Hey guys, I just got a carbon fiber hood for $200!! I want to put those aerocatch hood pins on it but i just wanted to make sure there isn't some special way to cut carbon fiber before i cut two big ass holes in the hood. Otherwise i was just going to take a dremel to it. TIA

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, RoninEclipse2G, Feb-19-09 01:03 PM, #1
RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, Nemo, Feb-20-09 04:54 PM, #2
      RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, john97es, Feb-21-09 11:49 AM, #3
           RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, foggy45, Feb-21-09 01:30 PM, #4
                RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, RoninEclipse2G, Feb-21-09 02:37 PM, #5
                     RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, abnt89, Feb-22-09 07:28 PM, #6
                          RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, 97AllMtr, Feb-23-09 05:07 PM, #7
                               RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, abnt89, Feb-23-09 10:03 PM, #8
                                    RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, dalesmitsu, Feb-25-09 12:32 AM, #9
                                         RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, abnt89, Feb-25-09 10:25 PM, #10
                                              RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, john97es, Mar-01-09 08:53 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, abnt89, Mar-03-09 08:35 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-04-09 06:25 PM, #13
                                                             RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, abnt89, Mar-08-09 06:37 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, Moderatorteklein, Mar-08-09 07:03 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, Moderatorteklein, Mar-08-09 07:06 PM, #16
                                                                       RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, PsychO, Mar-09-09 03:50 AM, #17
                                                                  RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-09-09 12:47 PM, #18
                                                                  RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, abnt89, Mar-09-09 04:04 PM, #19
                                                                       RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, dalesmitsu, Mar-10-09 12:57 AM, #20
                                                                            RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, abnt89, Mar-10-09 06:45 AM, #21
                                                                            RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-11-09 03:59 PM, #22
                                                                            RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, dalesmitsu, Mar-19-09 09:53 AM, #25
                                                                                 RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, Moderatorteklein, Mar-19-09 10:48 AM, #26
                                                                                      RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, dalesmitsu, Mar-19-09 11:26 AM, #27
                                                                                           RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, Moderatorteklein, Mar-19-09 12:15 PM, #28
                                                                                                RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, abnt89, Mar-21-09 01:12 PM, #30
                                                                            RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, nothingfiction, Jul-10-10 01:40 PM, #32
                                                                                 RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, trevordg419, May-08-11 02:33 AM, #33
                                                                  RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, DanKid, Mar-12-09 08:48 AM, #23
                                                                       RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, abnt89, Mar-12-09 06:36 PM, #24
                                                                            RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, dalesmitsu, Mar-20-09 11:11 AM, #29
RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, dsm247, Jul-03-10 10:54 PM, #31
RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, 420agreenvilleSC, May-08-11 04:38 PM, #34
      RE: Aerocatch hood pin install, AdministratorCODE4, May-08-11 05:28 PM, #35

RoninEclipse2GFeb-19-09 01:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#102959, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by abnt89
Hey guys, I just got a carbon fiber hood for $200!! I want to put those aerocatch hood pins on it but i just wanted to make sure there isn't some special way to cut carbon fiber before i cut two big ass holes in the hood. Otherwise i was just going to take a dremel to it. TIA

put some masking tape over the area to be cut to prevent splintering, cut slowly and smoothly. remember to cut inside the lines and work out as needed (don't want to make a big gap that looks like ass )

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

NemoFeb-20-09 04:54 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2008
366 posts,
#102961, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 1

Right. Use the tape with high rpm and light pressure-especially when breaking through-which is almost instantly. BTW, congrats on the price.

john97esFeb-21-09 11:49 AM
Member since Jul 11th 2007
18 posts,
#102963, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 2

Agreed. That's how I cut holes for mine. Masking tape and high rpms with my dremel, cutting very slowly.

built and boosted 420a avenger

foggy45Feb-21-09 01:30 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#102964, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 3

make sure you wear a respirator carbon fibers suck to get them 1n your lungs

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

RoninEclipse2GFeb-21-09 02:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#102965, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by foggy45
make sure you wear a respirator carbon fibers suck to get them 1n your lungs

good catch, or at least a dust mask and goggles, they're not fun in the eyes either.

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

abnt89Feb-22-09 07:28 PM
58 posts,
#102966, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by foggy45 make sure you wear a respirator carbon fibers suck to get them 1n your lungs

Yea thats what i was planning on doing. I saw a video of someone cutting a hood and the dust was going everywhere.

Thanks for all the info.

97AllMtrFeb-23-09 05:07 PM
Member since Jul 20th 2007
175 posts,
#102968, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by foggy45 make sure you wear a respirator carbon fibers suck to get them 1n your lungs
Yea thats what i was planning on doing. I saw a video of someone cutting a hood and the dust was going everywhere. Thanks for all the info.

Post pics when you're done with the install please.

abnt89Feb-23-09 10:03 PM
58 posts,
#102971, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 7

Ok i will post some pics when I'm done and maybe some while I'm in the process of cutting the hood. It'll be a little bit though because I'm not putting the hood on until I get the latches on, I don't want to risk it even a little bit. I was also wondering if anyone else has installed any of the aerocatch latches before?

dalesmitsuFeb-25-09 12:32 AM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#102977, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 8

Ok i will post some pics when I'm done and maybe some while I'm in the process of cutting the hood. It'll be a little bit though because I'm not putting the hood on until I get the latches on, I don't want to risk it even a little bit. I was also wondering if anyone else has installed any of the aerocatch latches before?

I read an install guide for the Aerocatch pins from Project Car.

If you want I could pm you the info. or post it here the extra info don't hurt.

abnt89Feb-25-09 10:25 PM
58 posts,
#102982, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
Originally posted by abnt89 Ok i will post some pics when I'm done and maybe some while I'm in the process of cutting the hood. It'll be a little bit though because I'm not putting the hood on until I get the latches on, I don't want to risk it even a little bit. I was also wondering if anyone else has installed any of the aerocatch latches before?
I read an install guide for the Aerocatch pins from Project Car. If you want I could pm you the info. or post it here the extra info don't hurt.

I think I know what to do but if you don't mind you can go ahead and post it up in here. Thanks

john97esMar-01-09 08:53 AM
Member since Jul 11th 2007
18 posts,
#103023, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 10

I can get pics of mine installed. I didn't take any pics during the install though.

built and boosted 420a avenger

abnt89Mar-03-09 08:35 AM
58 posts,
#103044, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 11

Ok, I just got the hood pins in today so now all i need to do is go buy a bunch of dremel tool
cutting blades and then I'll probably get to installing them this weekend. Thanks for all the help.

RoninEclipse2GMar-04-09 06:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#103071, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 12

slacker, hurry up!

Erik P.

abnt89Mar-08-09 06:37 PM
58 posts,
#103109, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 13

Ok here you go. I finished it friday night but i just got around to uploading the pics.

This is right after i taped off the area i was going to cut. It helps a lot because if your bit jumps while yor sanding it just cuts the tape and not your hood.

And after i got done cutting the holes for the pins. The next pic gives you a better look at where i mounted the actual pin. I had to remove the hood prop to mount the pin which i didn't like.

It took me a good 25-30 min to get the pins and everything to line up perfect because i didn't want to put any pressure on the hood when they were latched.

And the finished product.

ModeratortekleinMar-08-09 07:03 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#103110, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 14

Looks awesome!

About the hoodprop, there is a kit by Tein (I think) that mounts a small hydraulic cylinder on the hinge to keep the hood up

Great job

ModeratortekleinMar-08-09 07:06 PM
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#103111, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 15

http://www.raceonusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9294

There is the kit, ive seen them ALOT cheaper than that though.

PsychOMar-09-09 03:50 AM
Member since Jun 10th 2004
166 posts,
#103113, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 16

http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-MITSU-ECLIPSE-9599.html

QuickLifts. They make a set for regular hoods and a lower pressure version for FG/CF hoods.

RoninEclipse2GMar-09-09 12:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#103116, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"

looks good, now you just need to get some better side skirts than the blitz and your car would look awesome

Erik P.

abnt89Mar-09-09 04:04 PM
58 posts,
#103117, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 18

Thanks for the info about the hydraulic hood lifts, i'll definitely look into those.

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
looks good, now you just need to get some better side skirts than the blitz and your car would look awesome

I know, the stock ones look better but i don't have enough money for the body work and i can't do it myself. So for right now they're staying on there.

dalesmitsuMar-10-09 12:57 AM
986 posts,
#103127, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 19
Mar-10-09 01:00 AM by dalesmitsu

Thanks for the info about the hydraulic hood lifts, i'll definitely look into those.
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G looks good, now you just need to get some better side skirts than the blitz and your car would look awesome
I know, the stock ones look better but i don't have enough money for the body work and i can't do it myself. So for right now they're staying on there.

Check your local salvage for the side skirts, you could pick them up very cheap,they would only need repainted.

Nice 2g and install with pics/info. I'll use it as guide when I install my Vis oe hood on my white 97 Gs.

Is your white paint the factory paint.

Submit your 2g for the April's ride pick

abnt89Mar-10-09 06:45 AM
58 posts,
#103129, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 20

Check your local salvage for the side skirts, you could pick them up very cheap,they would only need repainted. Nice 2g and install with pics/info. I'll use it as guide when I install my Vis oe hood on my white 97 Gs. Is your white paint the factory paint. Submit your 2g for the April's ride pick

Yea the paint is still from the factory. It looks a lot better than the paint on my black 95 GS did, at least what was left of it. This is a little off topic but are there any tips on cleaning/waxing carbon fiber because i noticed the water spots are really hard to come off. I cant just wipe them off like on the metal. Thanks

RoninEclipse2GMar-11-09 03:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#103138, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 21

wax the HELL out of that thing. most carbon fiber is only sealed with the factory epoxy. I have seen way too many CF bits look like shit because it wasn't waxed/sealed properly.

I would even recommend putting a resin glaze on it to really seal it

Erik P.

dalesmitsuMar-19-09 09:53 AM
986 posts,
#103193, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 21

Originally posted by dalesmitsu Check your local salvage for the side skirts, you could pick them up very cheap,they would only need repainted. Nice 2g and install with pics/info. I'll use it as guide when I install my Vis oe hood on my white 97 Gs. Is your white paint the factory paint. Submit your 2g for the April's ride pick
Yea the paint is still from the factory. It looks a lot better than the paint on my black 95 GS did, at least what was left of it. This is a little off topic but are there any tips on cleaning/waxing carbon fiber because i noticed the water spots are really hard to come off. I cant just wipe them off like on the metal. Thanks

Try the clay bar from Mothers, advance auto have it on sale plus the wax too.

ModeratortekleinMar-19-09 10:48 AM
1699 posts,
#103194, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 25

Originally posted by dalesmitsu Check your local salvage for the side skirts, you could pick them up very cheap,they would only need repainted. Nice 2g and install with pics/info. I'll use it as guide when I install my Vis oe hood on my white 97 Gs. Is your white paint the factory paint. Submit your 2g for the April's ride pick

There is a wiki article on paint restoration. I entered it a few months ago.

BTW - Meguiars FTW

Ultimate Paint Restoration

dalesmitsuMar-19-09 11:26 AM
986 posts,
#103195, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 26

Originally posted by teklein
There is a wiki article on paint restoration. I entered it a few months ago. BTW - Meguiars FTW Ultimate Paint Restoration

Great job, thanks for that wiki Tek.

I'll try it out, I spent a day cleaning out my garage well one bay area. I now have a spot work and wax my 2G with enough room for two more 2G. My car is white I'm sure it'll take me longer, than what you did.

ModeratortekleinMar-19-09 12:15 PM
1699 posts,
#103198, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 27

There is a wiki article on paint restoration. I entered it a few months ago. BTW - Meguiars FTW Ultimate Paint Restoration
Great job, thanks for that wiki Tek. I'll try it out, I spent a day cleaning out my garage well one bay area. I now have a spot work and wax my 2G with enough room for two more 2G. My car is white I'm sure it'll take me longer, than what you did.

Fairly positive neglected black paint is a bit worse, but thanks for playing

abnt89Mar-21-09 01:12 PM
58 posts,
#103226, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 28

Great job, thanks for that wiki Tek. I'll try it out, I spent a day cleaning out my garage well one bay area. I now have a spot work and wax my 2G with enough room for two more 2G. My car is white I'm sure it'll take me longer, than what you did.
Fairly positive neglected black paint is a bit worse, but thanks for playing

dalesmitsu - I just waxed the hood the other day but I will definitely try out that clay bar from mother's that you were talking about.

teklein - Thanks for the info about that wiki article. hopefully it helps because my hood gets dirty fast. lol

Thanks for all the info.

nothingfictionJul-10-10 01:40 PM
Member since Apr 10th 2006
23 posts,
#104785, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 20

honestly... these aerocatch ones do look surprisingly better than i was expecting.

and about the sideskirts... i like them, don't care what anyone else says. but the center in-line piece looks awkward on it. the part on the door looks like you just overlapped the blitz with the stockers and thats why it doesn't look right to me.

trevordg419May-08-11 02:33 AM
Member since May 03rd 2011
15 posts,
#105288, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 32

hey sorry to bring up this old post but i found a pair of carbon fiber locking ones of the same style as yours but their NRG
so heres the url.
http://www.andysautosport.com/mitsubishi/1995_1999_eclipse/exterior/hoods/hood_pins/nrg/nrgi00000147.html.

95 eclipse gs n/t

DanKidMar-12-09 08:48 AM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
#103140, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"

Wow. Really nice job on the install. I may have to get a set of those to put on my CF hood cause right now I have some cheap autozone pins on it. Has the price of those Aerocatch hood pins gone down yet? I know when they came out they were like $100 for the set.

abnt89Mar-12-09 06:36 PM
58 posts,
#103145, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 23

Originally posted by DanKid
Wow. Really nice job on the install. I may have to get a set of those to put on my CF hood cause right now I have some cheap autozone pins on it. Has the price of those Aerocatch hood pins gone down yet? I know when they came out they were like $100 for the set.

I got lucky because I found someone selling them on ebay for about $70 because the kid never installed them and wanted to get rid of them. But all the other sets I was finding were anywhere from $80-$110. And it also depends on whether you get the locking latch or not. The locking ones run you about $10 more.

dalesmitsuMar-20-09 11:11 AM
986 posts,
#103215, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 24

Originally posted by DanKid Wow. Really nice job on the install. I may have to get a set of those to put on my CF hood cause right now I have some cheap autozone pins on it. Has the price of those Aerocatch hood pins gone down yet? I know when they came out they were like $100 for the set.
I got lucky because I found someone selling them on ebay for about $70 because the kid never installed them and wanted to get rid of them. But all the other sets I was finding were anywhere from $80-$110. And it also depends on whether you get the locking latch or not. The locking ones run you about $10 more.

This install would be good for a wiki

dsm247Jul-03-10 10:54 PM
Member since Jun 29th 2010
23 posts,
#104759, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 0

yea just tape the part and drill away

420agreenvilleSCMay-08-11 04:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#105290, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 31

Originally posted by dsm247
yea just tape the part and drill away

u need help. prepare for hellfire flammage

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

AdministratorCODE4May-08-11 05:28 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#105291, "RE: Aerocatch hood pin install"
In response to Reply # 34

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
Originally posted by dsm247 yea just tape the part and drill away
u need help. prepare for hellfire flammage

Damn it Mikey. Stop perpetuating this old thread.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #102957 Previous topic | Next topic