Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #98441
View in linear mode

Subject: "anyone here paint their wheels with duplicolor graphite?" Previous topic | Next topic
ezApr-04-07 05:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#98441, "anyone here paint their wheels with duplicolor graphite?"

^title. Did you like the way it came out and can you post pics? I want a dark color for the wheels, and the only duplicolor wheel paint options I see are flat black or graphite. I want a stealthy look but am unsure about the flat black.

And I don't feel like powder coating things right now, as I had new tires put on and balanced not long ago. Plus I'm making new centerpieces out of plastic hemispheres and I'm going to paint them the same color as the rest of the wheel.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: anyone here paint their wheels with duplicolor graphite?, 95_ESi_Person, Apr-05-07 04:38 AM, #1
RE: anyone here paint their wheels with duplicolor graphite?, ScreaminE, Apr-05-07 05:20 AM, #2
      RE: anyone here paint their wheels with duplicolor graphite?, knight ryda 99, Apr-05-07 06:15 AM, #3
           What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?, ez, Apr-05-07 04:11 PM, #4
                RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?, totaleclipse_05, Apr-05-07 04:56 PM, #5
                     RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?, ez, Apr-05-07 05:29 PM, #6
                          RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?, ez, Apr-07-07 05:54 PM, #7
                               RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?, ez, Apr-08-07 10:13 AM, #8
                                    RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?, edxmon, Apr-09-07 04:53 AM, #9
                                         RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?, 95_ESi_Person, Apr-09-07 05:36 AM, #10
                                              RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?, ez, Apr-09-07 07:16 PM, #11
                                                   RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?, edxmon, Apr-10-07 03:22 AM, #12
                                                        RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-10-07 04:40 AM, #13
                                                             RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?, ez, Apr-12-07 05:27 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?, edxmon, Apr-12-07 08:47 PM, #15

95_ESi_PersonApr-05-07 04:38 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#98442, "RE: anyone here paint their wheels with duplicolor graphite?"
In response to Reply # 0

Please do not paint the Shoguns, I'll trade you rims to paint. The shoguns are just too pretty.

I am curious about this myself, my rims are getting a little worn on the exterior, machined face doesn't look so pretty anymore, and I think a graphite color would hide some of the curb rash on them.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ScreaminEApr-05-07 05:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
815 posts,
#98443, "RE: anyone here paint their wheels with duplicolor graphite?"
In response to Reply # 1

I cant complain. Mine turned out awesome.

But be warned, they WILL chip if you knick them with a lug wrench or any other tool. I have yet to have a set just start peeling for no reason, but they are still now where as strong as powdercoat.

That paint is the best fuckin paint in the world though. I painted my intake mani and fuel rail on my eclipse and it turned out beautiful without even clear coating.

knight ryda 99Apr-05-07 06:15 AM
Member since Feb 08th 2005
331 posts,
#98444, "RE: anyone here paint their wheels with duplicolor graphite?"
In response to Reply # 2
Apr-05-07 06:17 AM by knight ryda 99

I did once then changed the Color to bronze, I liked the Graphite alot, but needed a change after about a year. Just make sure you Clear the Hell out of them, The paint loses luster after a while due to brake dust

better than some... Greater than most

ezApr-05-07 04:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#98450, "What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks guys. I think that color looks pretty nice on the 1g, but it's not what I was expecting either. I agree with Ryan - I don't want to mess up the shoguns - but I don't think I want to trade wheels either ha. If I rice this ish up I'm gonna get angry.

I have another idea. I just wet sanded a small portion of one of the wheels with 2000 grit. This removed a lot of the ugliness already - a lot of debris marks and junk that I haven't been able to get off any other way. (and I've tried just about everything.) The surface is now scuffed but at least homogenous in appearance. What if I just wet sand the whole wheel, and clear coat it with duplicolor clear coat? Anyone done that? I trying to imagine what that would look like.

totaleclipse_05Apr-05-07 04:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#98451, "RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by ez
Thanks guys. I think that color looks pretty nice on the 1g, but it's not what I was expecting either. I agree with Ryan - I don't want to mess up the shoguns - but I don't think I want to trade wheels either ha. If I rice this ish up I'm gonna get angry. I have another idea. I just wet sanded a small portion of one of the wheels with 2000 grit. This removed a lot of the ugliness already - a lot of debris marks and junk that I haven't been able to get off any other way. (and I've tried just about everything.) The surface is now scuffed but at least homogenous in appearance. What if I just wet sand the whole wheel, and clear coat it with duplicolor clear coat? Anyone done that? I trying to imagine what that would look like.

You should not sand the color coat of paint and then clear over it. If you need to get debris out of your paint job, sand it with 800 or higher and then reapply a color coat. You do not need to sand the whole wheel, just the spots that have debris in them. After the color coat has flashed (dried), you can then clear it.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

ezApr-05-07 05:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#98452, "RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by totaleclipse_05
You should not sand the color coat of paint and then clear over

These enkei's have no paint, it's just exposed alloy. The center portion that has a polished finish has clear coat (which is flaking off badly.) My question is about clear coating over the bare alloy after I wetsand it.

ezApr-07-07 05:54 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#98472, "RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?"
In response to Reply # 6

I'm stuck at home right now because my car is in pieces.

I'm in the middle of doing the wheels now. I'm using aircraft remover (wow it makes things easy) to take off the clear coat, then polishing with an aluminum polish called white diamonds (neighbor saw me working on the car and brought that stuff over - it's awesome stuff). I took a dremel to the one wheel that had minor rash, and then wet sanded it too. It will be finished with a polish and then recleared. About $30 for all the materials. It's going to look so much better than painted wheels. I'll post comparison pics after I'm done

Next, I'm going to repaint the stock centers with Metalcast red, and compare them to my homemade centers.

ezApr-08-07 10:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#98474, "RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?"
In response to Reply # 7

oh man, the heck with this. I tried to remove the clear coat for the unpolished (outside) portion of the wheels, and it has taken me like 2 hours to get 50-60% of it off, on one wheel. Even with the aircraft remover, the clear is not giving me an easy time, and some residue remains.

I need to find a nearby shop that can sand blast this ish off.

edxmonApr-09-07 04:53 AM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
#98484, "RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?"
In response to Reply # 8

Quitter

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

95_ESi_PersonApr-09-07 05:36 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#98485, "RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?"
In response to Reply # 9

Buy a sandblaster, you will not regret it, I'm going to soon. I have the technology (compressor if you will), and I can ALWAYS find a use for a sandblaster!

ezApr-09-07 07:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#98490, "RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by 95_ESi_Person
Buy a sandblaster, you will not regret it, I'm going to soon. I have the technology (compressor if you will), and I can ALWAYS find a use for a sandblaster!

that's what I'm thinking about doing. I hear that aluminum should be media blasted not sand blasted, and you can use plastic bead or walnut shells instead. I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

edxmonApr-10-07 03:22 AM
1006 posts,
#98493, "RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?"
In response to Reply # 11
Apr-10-07 04:47 AM by edxmon

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

Thats going to be my new quote.

his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez

RoninEclipse2GApr-10-07 04:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#98497, "RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by edxmon
Originally posted by ez I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.
Thats going to be my new quote.

oh man, that's funny shit right there!

another simple household item you can use for media blasting is baking soda, works great on paint, doesn't even faze the metal underneath, we've used it on old rusty jags that if you even tried to use something heavier we'd have lost half of the car

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

ezApr-12-07 05:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#98548, "RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?"
In response to Reply # 13

I've been quoted before, but that's by far the best.

Anyways, I'm getting everything powdercoated tomorrow. Either gunmetal or black, haven't decided... with silver metal flake... what can I say, my mexican genes took over

edxmonApr-12-07 08:47 PM
1006 posts,
#98551, "RE: What about wet sanding -> then clear coat?"
In response to Reply # 14

WAT?! Im proud to be born and raised in Mexico. And dont wory both of those colors will look great! I vote gun metal though.

Originally posted by ez

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #98441 Previous topic | Next topic