Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #97865
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fiberglassing headliner" Previous topic | Next topic
ThePerfectShiftFeb-14-07 09:00 AM
Member since May 02nd 2006
199 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#97865, "Fiberglassing headliner"

Okay well my girlfriend drove my car to work the other day and my sunroof has been acting up, sometimes it doesn't want to close all the way. well i guess she didnt check to make sure it was sealed and sure as shit, it POURED! so my headliner got soaked and is now drooping down in spots. plus it's got cigarette burn holes from me so i planned on replacing it with a black one. Question is how hard would it be to fiberglass it? I searched but never got a clear answer on exactly how to do it. I've never done glassing but it's something I've been dying to try my hand at. If I'm lucky mike will chime in here and shed some of his knowledge. any info is appreciated.

Originally posted by thedawg

I ran 15-18psi on my stock a604 for about 30k miles then it broke. It makes cool whining noises now.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Fiberglassing headliner, boosted60trimrst, Feb-14-07 10:01 AM, #1
RE: Fiberglassing headliner, dsmmyth, Feb-14-07 07:34 PM, #2
      RE: Fiberglassing headliner, ThePerfectShift, Feb-15-07 05:52 AM, #3
           RE: Fiberglassing headliner, eclipse982nrRST, Feb-15-07 09:27 AM, #4
                RE: Fiberglassing headliner, R34Eclipse, Feb-15-07 09:58 AM, #5
                     RE: Fiberglassing headliner, eclipse982nrRST, Feb-15-07 11:24 AM, #6
                          RE: Fiberglassing headliner, R34Eclipse, Feb-15-07 02:54 PM, #7
                               RE: Fiberglassing headliner, eclipse982nrRST, Feb-15-07 03:37 PM, #8

boosted60trimrstFeb-14-07 10:01 AM
Member since Sep 10th 2005
1183 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#97867, "RE: Fiberglassing headliner"
In response to Reply # 0

u can probabaly soak it in resin and it will get hard then lay up a layer or 2 of fiberglass mat .

LED tails : Done for now!
99 eclipse rst
cobalt blue met. paint,star stage 2 upgraded t3/t460trim turbo ceramic coated , polished compressor housing, ,optima yellow top, chrome i/c piping ,front mount ntercooler ,apexi turbo timer . zeitronix wb02 ,faze oil ,boost gauge,egt ,bosch 4x plugs,kyb agx struts, pro kit springs.17''adr venomous rims,Falken azenis ,brembo dilled/slotted rotors ,turbo xs bov ,oil catch can,manual shiftknob,autometer pyrometer egt , vortech sfmu,b&m fuel pressure gauge ,accel 310cc injectors ,gasketmatched and polished intake manifold ,58mm throttle body ,no egr,polished turbonetics wastegate,fuel pump rewire,homade fcd and a lot more .LED reverse lights ,sidemarkers and tails .atx to mtx swap . South bend tz clutch . Tons more
http://imageshack.us>

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=boosted60trimrst
My contribution to the wiki
http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=crank%20arm%20spindle%20mod%20to%20fit%20power%20panels

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

dsmmythFeb-14-07 07:34 PM
Member since Aug 24th 2004
1178 posts,
#97875, "RE: Fiberglassing headliner"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, Mike told me how to do it awhile back, but it's something you really don't want to do if you're not experienced. I'd be afraid of losing my headliner and then having to buy another to replace it. You can always just buy one from Topshop for $200.

1998 Eclipse GS

GS-T Axleback|CAI|OBX 4-1 Header|AF/X UDP|

Originally posted by Kaoz78
Did you happen to look at the post date of this topic? I didn't think so there Jesus. Way to raise Lazarus, buddy.

ThePerfectShiftFeb-15-07 05:52 AM
Member since May 02nd 2006
199 posts,
#97877, "RE: Fiberglassing headliner"
In response to Reply # 2

yea the only thing about buying one is I have an aftermarket sunroof so i don't think it would fit right.....maybe i'll just get it redone in black.

Originally posted by thedawg

I ran 15-18psi on my stock a604 for about 30k miles then it broke. It makes cool whining noises now.

eclipse982nrRSTFeb-15-07 09:27 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#97878, "RE: Fiberglassing headliner"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by ThePerfectShift
yea the only thing about buying one is I have an aftermarket sunroof so i don't think it would fit right.....maybe i'll just get it redone in black.

i will do it right for you if you send me the headliner.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

R34EclipseFeb-15-07 09:58 AM
Member since Oct 01st 2005
706 posts,
#97879, "RE: Fiberglassing headliner"
In response to Reply # 4

if he has an aftermarket POWER sunroof that may be a problem, a lot of times there is little to no headliner board remaining, usually its pretty hacked up and the material is stretched into place. When recovering you have to do it in the car for most applications. Manual roof even still requires a small stretchand tuck into the trim ring, but has more board left. either way aftermarked roof will give you problems if your going fiberglass.

-----------------------------------
97 RS-T, STAR Stage 2, HAHN FMIC, Decah Lambo Doors, 19" Axis Hiros, Built 420a - SOLD
2004 - G35 6MT 20" HREs & Tein Flex

eclipse982nrRSTFeb-15-07 11:24 AM
6314 posts,
#97880, "RE: Fiberglassing headliner"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by R34Eclipse
if he has an aftermarket POWER sunroof that may be a problem, a lot of times there is little to no headliner board remaining, usually its pretty hacked up and the material is stretched into place. When recovering you have to do it in the car for most applications. Manual roof even still requires a small stretchand tuck into the trim ring, but has more board left. either way aftermarked roof will give you problems if your going fiberglass.

not really. if your good at glassing and know special tricks, it can be done. anything can be done.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

R34EclipseFeb-15-07 02:54 PM
Member since Oct 01st 2005
706 posts,
#97881, "RE: Fiberglassing headliner"
In response to Reply # 6

i didnt say it couldnt be done, i said it would give you problems. it is not as straight forward as taking your headliner down, glassing it and reinstalling. There are gaps and missing chunks of headliner board that will have to be recreated.

97 RS-T, STAR Stage 2, HAHN FMIC, Decah Lambo Doors, 19" Axis Hiros, Built 420a - SOLD
2004 - G35 6MT 20" HREs & Tein Flex

eclipse982nrRSTFeb-15-07 03:37 PM
6314 posts,
#97883, "RE: Fiberglassing headliner"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by R34Eclipse
i didnt say it couldnt be done, i said it would give you problems. it is not as straight forward as taking your headliner down, glassing it and reinstalling. There are gaps and missing chunks of headliner board that will have to be recreated.

exactly. i know you didnt say it couldnt be done. im saying a rookie should not attempt it and only someone who knows tricks at glassing can do it and pull it off to make it look good

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #97865 Previous topic | Next topic