Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #78284
View in linear mode

Subject: "Side Skirts..." Previous topic | Next topic
xSiNxOfxSiLeNcExOct-28-04 04:00 PM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
54 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#78284, "Side Skirts..."
Oct-28-04 04:03 PM by xSiNxOfxSiLeNcEx

I been going through post by people adding the gs side skirts on the Rs and i've just picked up a pair. I'm not to fond of drilling a shit load of holes in my car. Has anyone found a good way to mount them to the car. I know about the screws on the inner fender, but what about keeping it close to the car near the door? i was thinking maybe fiberglassing little flaps that u could screw it in under the plastic door sill or somthing. I'm thinking on fiberglassing the 2 pieces as one so it gives a clean look but well see, and also i hear people are just shaving the door caps off and not even putting them on, but couldn;t find a pic of it. I was already planing on shaving the grove on the door, so any pics with ideas would be great. I just taped it on the car to see about how it weould work but it just doesn;t give it that look with beiong primer and the side skirts being in paint thanks

Just picked these up today

other pics of the project that started all because I joined the oh so famous broken door handle club

before the body work started

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Side Skirts..., eclipse982nrRST, Oct-29-04 02:09 AM, #1
RE: Side Skirts..., xSiNxOfxSiLeNcEx, Oct-29-04 03:45 AM, #2
      RE: Side Skirts..., xSiNxOfxSiLeNcEx, Nov-02-04 10:17 AM, #3
           RE: Side Skirts..., eclipse982nrRST, Nov-02-04 01:55 PM, #4
                RE: Side Skirts..., kelvinb1, Nov-02-04 01:59 PM, #5
                RE: Side Skirts..., xSiNxOfxSiLeNcEx, Nov-02-04 06:15 PM, #6
                     RE: Side Skirts..., eclipse982nrRST, Nov-03-04 12:27 PM, #7
                          RE: Side Skirts..., xSiNxOfxSiLeNcEx, Nov-03-04 12:51 PM, #8
                RE: Side Skirts..., optikal, Nov-03-04 05:19 PM, #9
                     RE: Side Skirts..., xSiNxOfxSiLeNcEx, Nov-06-04 08:25 AM, #10
                          RE: Side Skirts..., THEBALLIN1, Nov-07-04 11:49 AM, #11
                               RE: Side Skirts..., xSiNxOfxSiLeNcEx, Nov-07-04 12:27 PM, #12

eclipse982nrRSTOct-29-04 02:09 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#78288, "RE: Side Skirts..."
In response to Reply # 0

Couple of suggestions for you bro:

1. If you are planning on keeping these on for a long long time, use some SEM glue or Corvette epoxy glue. Its strong as fuck and wont come off. I used the SEM glue to put 12 pieces of widebody panels on my car and that shit wont budge at all. Then if you did that, you could one sheetmetal screw in the inner fender and inner rear quarter panel just for extra strength.

2. You use screws all around, lol.

3. Get the double sided tape that factory uses with them. You can actually buy it from the satin dealer. It is super ass strong double sided tape. You could double side it all and then do the sheetmetal screws like i said above in the inner fender well and rear quarter panel inner well.

I personally would suggest #1 if your keeping them on for awhile. #3 will work goood too and the tape is strong yet will come off with some good tugs after a few hours if you ever wanted them off, lol.

Good Luck~

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

xSiNxOfxSiLeNcExOct-29-04 03:45 AM
54 posts,
#78290, "RE: Side Skirts..."
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks, well see how it goes, i'm gonna mold the 2 pieces as one today so thaty should clean up the line there and maybe even make them easier to put on as a 1 piece

xSiNxOfxSiLeNcExNov-02-04 10:17 AM
54 posts,
#78401, "RE: Side Skirts..."
In response to Reply # 2

molded the sideskirts into a 1 piece, easier to install without drill all the holes for the plastic clips. next will be shaving the grove in the door.

eclipse982nrRSTNov-02-04 01:55 PM
6314 posts,
#78410, "RE: Side Skirts..."
In response to Reply # 3

now you need to slap a coat of duraglass over the bondo for added strength and then mold the skirts to the car, that would be hot i think. looks good tho. good job

kelvinb1Nov-02-04 01:59 PM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#78411, "RE: Side Skirts..."
In response to Reply # 4

you will have to drill some holes for it to look good. I understand you would be scared to drill holes, but if you mess up, whos gonna see um? lol.

xSiNxOfxSiLeNcExNov-02-04 06:15 PM
54 posts,
#78439, "RE: Side Skirts..."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by kelvinb1
you will have to drill some holes for it to look good. I understand you would be scared to drill holes, but if you mess up, whos gonna see um? lol.

i screwed them in on both sides in the fender and they held pretty good, i got the side skirts for like 60 bucks so some of the clips were broken, but i found this reall good double sided tape so well see.. as long as there on and wont fall off i'll be ok for now. i don;t want to use any type of glues or anything now cause the cars still in primer, once its painted i'll figure somthing out, but by molding the 2 pieces together it seemed to fit real good for only having 2 screws holding it in. as far as molding them on the car, with my luck i would crack them seeing how i bottom out everywhere i go...but thanks for the ideas

eclipse982nrRSTNov-03-04 12:27 PM
6314 posts,
#78452, "RE: Side Skirts..."
In response to Reply # 6

um, your sides bottom out?

xSiNxOfxSiLeNcExNov-03-04 12:51 PM
54 posts,
#78454, "RE: Side Skirts..."
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
um, your sides bottom out?

yea its sucks, theres alot of places i can;t go with the car..

optikalNov-03-04 05:19 PM
Member since Jun 23rd 2002
1062 posts,
#78467, "RE: Side Skirts..."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
now you need to slap a coat of duraglass over the bondo for added strength and then mold the skirts to the car, that would be hot i think. looks good tho. good job

actually the "bondo" would go over a product like duraglass, not the other way around

-eric stratton
Kustom Auto Koatings
North East, Md
443-528-8007
http://www.kustomautokoatings.com

xSiNxOfxSiLeNcExNov-06-04 08:25 AM
54 posts,
#78538, "RE: Side Skirts..."
In response to Reply # 9
Nov-06-04 08:38 AM by xSiNxOfxSiLeNcEx

Got then on to see how they look.. I still need to do the groove in the door, has anyone molded the stock side skirts before? if so can i have some import in the best way to do so. i duno how it would work with the door? any pics would help...thanks
before side skirts

After.. much cleaner looking

THEBALLIN1Nov-07-04 11:49 AM
Member since Sep 28th 2004
176 posts,
#78555, "RE: Side Skirts..."
In response to Reply # 10

xSiNxOfxSiLeNcEx 3 things:
1) what color is your car going to be?
2) those side skirts are tight as hell!
3) and can we see pics when the ride is done?

-EE

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/>

xSiNxOfxSiLeNcExNov-07-04 12:27 PM
54 posts,
#78558, "RE: Side Skirts..."
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by THEBALLIN1
xSiNxOfxSiLeNcEx 3 things: 1) what color is your car going to be? 2) those side skirts are tight as hell! 3) and can we see pics when the ride is done? -EE

Its gonna be black again, It will be done whever i get around to making a paint booth.

before when it was black

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #78284 Previous topic | Next topic