Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #54528
View in linear mode

Subject: "Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?" Previous topic | Next topic
TimsTegAug-05-03 11:07 AM
Member since Aug 05th 2003
2 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54528, "Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?"

I recently bought a 97 Eclipse spyder that is in great shape, but there is one problem. The top won't automatically go down or back up. I can here the motor trying to work but it just doesn't move at all. What can be the problem? The guy i bought the car from said it might be the shear pin or something like that. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?, rydereclipse, Aug-05-03 12:23 PM, #1
RE: Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?, Nackers, Aug-05-03 05:11 PM, #2
      RE: Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?, KaptainMyke, Aug-06-03 04:42 AM, #3
           RE: Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?, TimsTeg, Aug-06-03 08:09 PM, #4
                RE: Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?, KaptainMyke, Aug-07-03 03:29 AM, #5
                     RE: Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?, icedout, Aug-09-03 01:43 PM, #6
                          RE: Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?, Nackers, Aug-09-03 05:24 PM, #7

rydereclipseAug-05-03 12:23 PM
Member since Feb 15th 2002
258 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54536, "RE: Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?"
In response to Reply # 0

Take it to a shop TIM

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

NackersAug-05-03 05:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1912 posts,
#54555, "RE: Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?"
In response to Reply # 1

I don't know about the top, but my dad had that problem with his seats in his corvette and it was the teeth that spin it were all fucked up, but like ^^^he^^^ said, take it to a shop.

www.ChicagoArea240sx.Editboard.com

KaptainMykeAug-06-03 04:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10179 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#54594, "RE: Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?"
In response to Reply # 2

Yes, something is jamming the mechanism from opening/closing the roof. Check for quarters, coins, etc stuck in the assembly motor or maybe it just needs to be oiled or cleaned.

https://www.kaptainmyke.com

TimsTegAug-06-03 08:09 PM
Member since Aug 05th 2003
2 posts,
#54647, "RE: Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for the reply i will check for that, anybody else have any ideas?

KaptainMykeAug-07-03 03:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10179 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#54664, "RE: Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?"
In response to Reply # 4

Ya and how many miles are on the car? You might have to lubricate the entire thing ever so often. I would suggest only using ball-bearing grease and use just a LITTLE bit. Too much will attract more dirt and grime making the assembly grind possibly worse. So only use a little and clean it all out. See if that works before replacing any parts.

https://www.kaptainmyke.com

icedoutAug-09-03 01:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3139 posts,
#54839, "RE: Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?"
In response to Reply # 5

check the fuses for it..........

2006 WW IX MR
2003 BBY EVO VIII (sold)
256.9WHP & 277.9torque
http://s90395832.onlinehome.us/forum//index.php?sid=a70942a7f65043e6c873e12dcd300692

1998 Eclipse RS --show car--

NackersAug-09-03 05:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1912 posts,
#54848, "RE: Convertible top won't go up or down automatically? Why is this?"
In response to Reply # 6

"check the fuses for it.........."

I am NOT trying to start shit, but he says he can hear the motor working, so how could it be a fuse?

www.ChicagoArea240sx.Editboard.com

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #54528 Previous topic | Next topic