Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #104093
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hood Scoop" Previous topic | Next topic
irregular defectSep-24-09 06:02 PM
Member since Feb 23rd 2006
87 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#104093, "Hood Scoop"

Maybe get some help from Corbin or Hazard_Eclipse on this one?

I'm interested in doing a functioning hood scoop. Get a sealed box around the filter and all that. You guys got any tips? Pictures? Anything like that.

Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Hood Scoop, DanKid, Sep-24-09 07:10 PM, #1
RE: Hood Scoop, irregular defect, Sep-24-09 08:04 PM, #2
      RE: Hood Scoop, ModeratorCorbin, Sep-25-09 05:21 PM, #3
           RE: Hood Scoop, MITSUracer123, Sep-30-09 07:30 AM, #4
                RE: Hood Scoop, 95greenhrcgs, Sep-30-09 08:36 AM, #5
                     RE: Hood Scoop, ModeratorCorbin, Sep-30-09 05:59 PM, #6
                          RE: Hood Scoop, MITSUracer123, Oct-01-09 07:21 AM, #7
                               RE: Hood Scoop, nicho919, Oct-09-09 02:01 AM, #8
                                    RE: Hood Scoop, ModeratorCorbin, Oct-09-09 05:41 PM, #9
                                         RE: Hood Scoop, Tuxdreamerx, Oct-10-09 05:33 AM, #10
                                              RE: Hood Scoop, twizteddork, Oct-10-09 08:25 AM, #11
RE: Hood Scoop, hazard_eclipse, Oct-11-09 11:06 PM, #12

DanKidSep-24-09 07:10 PM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#104094, "RE: Hood Scoop"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm gonna pm you a link to an old write-up that I found on another site for a hood scoop. Don't know if it's a functional hood scoop but you can probably use the basic outline to make something on your own.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

irregular defectSep-24-09 08:04 PM
Member since Feb 23rd 2006
87 posts,
#104095, "RE: Hood Scoop"
In response to Reply # 1

Neeeeeeeevvvveeerrrmind. Found some threads. Although some lack pictures, I found what I was looking for.

ModeratorCorbinSep-25-09 05:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#104096, "RE: Hood Scoop"
In response to Reply # 2
Sep-25-09 05:28 PM by Corbin

I later used some weatherstripping like 12335A26 from McMaster Carr to seal against the hood. An added bonus is you can hear the turbo spooling from the hood scoop.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

MITSUracer123Sep-30-09 07:30 AM
Member since May 31st 2008
56 posts,
#104116, "RE: Hood Scoop"
In response to Reply # 3

Love this hood scoop! I always thought about doing something like that. And my short ram comes right about to where the air would flow in. The only thing i would worry about would be like rocks or water from rain getting in while driving.

95greenhrcgsSep-30-09 08:36 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1420 posts,
#104117, "RE: Hood Scoop"
In response to Reply # 4

Corbin did his the best, and was exactly what I wanted on my 2g, but was always too afraid to do it.

Jonathan
95 Eclipse GS
8 injector
Hahn Stage 3.5
Howell 2.2L Stroker

T O T A L L E D, T H A N K S T O S O M E A S S H A T!!!!!!!!!!!!

ModeratorCorbinSep-30-09 05:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#104119, "RE: Hood Scoop"
In response to Reply # 5

For me, any high speed rain will hit the back of the airbox and drain out the bottom. The hood opening is a couple inches rearward of the filter.

Jon: Come over some time and we'll saw out a nice hood scoop for the MR2. Your spare tire could use from fresh air, right?

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

MITSUracer123Oct-01-09 07:21 AM
Member since May 31st 2008
56 posts,
#104120, "RE: Hood Scoop"
In response to Reply # 6

LMAO! Ok thanx guys i might just try with a spare hood.

nicho919Oct-09-09 02:01 AM
Member since Apr 12th 2009
93 posts,
#104154, "RE: Hood Scoop"
In response to Reply # 7

Another added bonus is that you would seemingly know if an oil leak was causing a massive fire...

I'm broke, it's broken. I'm broke because it's broken. It's broken because I'm broke.

Simplicity Car Club - Founding Member

ModeratorCorbinOct-09-09 05:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#104158, "RE: Hood Scoop"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by nicho919
Another added bonus is that you would seemingly know if an oil leak was causing a massive fire...

A piece of candy to anyone else who knows what he is referencing!

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

TuxdreamerxOct-10-09 05:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#104162, "RE: Hood Scoop"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by Corbin
Originally posted by nicho919 Another added bonus is that you would seemingly know if an oil leak was causing a massive fire...
A piece of candy to anyone else who knows what he is referencing! Corbin '95 ESI-T Now with more power and fewer leaks Humble servant of the Wiki

Ummm.... Wouldnt you know without it? I mean since there is a gap on the firewall side of the hood I suppose smoke would come out there too. And probably through the vents. I know this from experience

twizteddorkOct-10-09 08:25 AM
Member since May 04th 2009
27 posts,
#104164, "RE: Hood Scoop"
In response to Reply # 10

dang i knew i should have copyrighted that hood lol looks damn good sir.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

hazard_eclipseOct-11-09 11:06 PM
Member since Jun 20th 2009
95 posts,
#104168, "RE: Hood Scoop"
In response to Reply # 0

LOL I was surprised to see my name pop up in this thread.

I did mine like 4 or 5 years ago and have none of the pictures from that project. I've redone the underside of the hood since then and it looks flawless on both side now. unlike Corbin though I used a piece of stainless steel mesh grill from a Cadillac to cover the hole to keep trash and rocks out. I used body seam sealer to hold it on. I do like Corbin's design on the air filter box. I never got around to do that yet. my filter when i was still N/A sat right at the vent though. I'll get some pics of the underside ASAP

here's a pic before the paint

and after:

wiki homepage: http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Hazard_Eclipse

19:22:36 ‹hazard_eclipse› btw disclaimer: I am NOT hazardeclipse
19:23:10 ‹ez› 19:14:00 ‹hazard_eclipse› i honestly hate yellow.
19:23:25 ‹hazard_eclipse› lol good you saw that
19:23:55 ‹ez› you should put that in your sig

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #104093 Previous topic | Next topic