Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #102972
View in linear mode

Subject: "HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's" Previous topic | Next topic
97AllMtrJul-04-10 06:29 AM
Member since Jul 20th 2007
175 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#102972, "HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's"

I just ordered an hid kit from DDM today. My question is, those of you with and HID kit on your car, do you use a wiring harness for a 35watt kit? They say you don't need a harness for the 35w, but I have read several places saying you need one. So, please let me know if I actually need to buy one, or if I can get away with not using one. Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's, azdave, Feb-24-09 07:45 AM, #1
RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's, 97AllMtr, Feb-24-09 01:13 PM, #2
RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's, 740 turbo brick, Feb-24-09 01:47 PM, #3
      RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's, 97AllMtr, Feb-24-09 02:18 PM, #4
      RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's, azdave, Feb-25-09 07:33 AM, #5
           RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's, RoninEclipse2G, Feb-25-09 12:38 PM, #6
           RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's, 97AllMtr, Feb-25-09 08:34 PM, #7
                RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's, halfasss101, Feb-25-09 10:40 PM, #8
RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's, 2GNT_95eclipse, Feb-26-09 05:00 PM, #9
RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's, whtclipse98, Mar-18-09 04:00 PM, #10
      RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's, 740 turbo brick, Mar-18-09 11:29 PM, #11
           RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's, whtclipse98, Mar-19-09 06:23 AM, #12
                RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's, 740 turbo brick, Mar-19-09 12:02 PM, #13
                     RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's, whtclipse98, Mar-19-09 08:31 PM, #14

azdaveFeb-24-09 07:45 AM
Member since Nov 25th 2003
694 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#102973, "RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by 97AllMtr
I just ordered an hid kit from DDM today. My question is, those of you with and HID kit on your car, do you use a wiring harness for a 35watt kit? They say you don't need a harness for the 35w, but I have read several places saying you need one. So, please let me know if I actually need to buy one, or if I can get away with not using one. Thanks.

You don't need one unless your existing wires are compromised with obvious corrosion from road salt. The OEM system works great and has relays to carry the load properly.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

97AllMtrFeb-24-09 01:13 PM
175 posts,
#102974, "RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by azdave
Originally posted by 97AllMtr I just ordered an hid kit from DDM today. My question is, those of you with and HID kit on your car, do you use a wiring harness for a 35watt kit? They say you don't need a harness for the 35w, but I have read several places saying you need one. So, please let me know if I actually need to buy one, or if I can get away with not using one. Thanks.
You don't need one unless your existing wires are compromised with obvious corrosion from road salt. The OEM system works great and has relays to carry the load properly.

Awesome. Thank you very much.

740 turbo brickFeb-24-09 01:47 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#102975, "RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by 97AllMtr I just ordered an hid kit from DDM today. My question is, those of you with and HID kit on your car, do you use a wiring harness for a 35watt kit? They say you don't need a harness for the 35w, but I have read several places saying you need one. So, please let me know if I actually need to buy one, or if I can get away with not using one. Thanks.

I was actually looking at it, it is a very nice setup. 40 amp fuse for the headlights as well.

Are you getting this from DDM tuning or sharpHID? I got a 35w 8000k low beam and 55w 8000k high beam kit from sharpHID. They use slim DDM ballasts and Apexcone bulbs. They are awesome. I also have them hooked directly into the stock wiring, with no negative affects. None of the wires get hot even after driving with them on for lenghts of time.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

97AllMtrFeb-24-09 02:18 PM
175 posts,
#102976, "RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
I was actually looking at it, it is a very nice setup. 40 amp fuse for the headlights as well. Are you getting this from DDM tuning or sharpHID? I got a 35w 8000k low beam and 55w 8000k high beam kit from sharpHID. They use slim DDM ballasts and Apexcone bulbs. They are awesome. I also have them hooked directly into the stock wiring, with no negative affects. None of the wires get hot even after driving with them on for lenghts of time.

Yes, I got them from ddmtuning.com I got the first ones on the page, the slim ballast 35watt 8000k. Can't wait 'till they arrive. Should only take 2 or 3 days to get here.

azdaveFeb-25-09 07:33 AM
Member since Nov 25th 2003
694 posts,
#102979, "RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's"
In response to Reply # 3
Feb-25-09 07:33 AM by azdave

I got a 35w 8000k low beam and 55w 8000k high beam kit from sharpHID. They use slim DDM ballasts and Apexcone bulbs. They are awesome. I also have them hooked directly into the stock wiring, with no negative affects. None of the wires get hot even after driving with them on for lenghts of time.

My comments about the stock harness being okay for HID were for the normal low beam system only. Very few people install HID in the high beam position (since flicking the ballasts on and off is hard on the ballast start circuits).

The Eclipse OEM wiring for the high beams is NOT like the low beam system. With the high beams, the full current required to start the ballasts goes all the way into the column stalk switch. It does NOT have the same relay system to take the load like the low beam circuit. While it is true that the low and high beams share the same power source, it is how those two sources find a ground that differs. I would not run any HID (35W or 55W) on my high beams without adding a relay under the hood to switch the load to ground under the hood instead of in the car. I would not want to risk melting the contacts on the stalk switch inside the column.

RoninEclipse2GFeb-25-09 12:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#102980, "RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's"
In response to Reply # 5

good info to know dave!

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

97AllMtrFeb-25-09 08:34 PM
175 posts,
#102981, "RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick I got a 35w 8000k low beam and 55w 8000k high beam kit from sharpHID. They use slim DDM ballasts and Apexcone bulbs. They are awesome. I also have them hooked directly into the stock wiring, with no negative affects. None of the wires get hot even after driving with them on for lenghts of time.
My comments about the stock harness being okay for HID were for the normal low beam system only. Very few people install HID in the high beam position (since flicking the ballasts on and off is hard on the ballast start circuits). The Eclipse OEM wiring for the high beams is NOT like the low beam system. With the high beams, the full current required to start the ballasts goes all the way into the column stalk switch. It does NOT have the same relay system to take the load like the low beam circuit. While it is true that the low and high beams share the same power source, it is how those two sources find a ground that differs. I would not run any HID (35W or 55W) on my high beams without adding a relay under the hood to switch the load to ground under the hood instead of in the car. I would not want to risk melting the contacts on the stalk switch inside the column.

Very good to know, I was actually going to get a set for my high beams too, now I know I have to get a wire harness. THANKS!!!

halfasss101Feb-25-09 10:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#102983, "RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's"
In response to Reply # 7

I got a kit from DDM a few weeks ago. 35 watt 6000k. I like them but i'd love them if i could actually get my headlights to adjust and so i can see further than 20 feet. But so far they are great. The only thing i had to change was the harness from the ballast that plugs into the harness that plugs into the original bulb. The wires in the Ballast harness were backwards. So the negative from the factory bulb harness was going to the positive on the ballast harness and positive to negative. So i pulled the wires out of the ballast harness and put them back in the other way and thats it. Best way to get a watertight seal i think is I drilled a hole in the back of the cap on the back of the headlight and made it to the size of the rubber seal on the HID kit and it looks clean and seals perfect.

Originally posted by bullettdsm Recommendations are that you get drunk and sit idly by to stare at your car while nothing happens to it. End results seem to be that you will be happy.

2GNT_95eclipseFeb-26-09 05:00 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2008
38 posts,
#102984, "RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's"
In response to Reply # 0

Check out my write up I did not too long ago on my HID's and how i installed them.
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=102405&mode=full

What the fuck? Your car "whistled" and some idiot thought it was turbocharged? Jesus Christ..

whtclipse98Mar-18-09 04:00 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
137 posts,
#103188, "RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's"
In response to Reply # 9

how long did it take you to get them in? I ordered some on thursday last week, got a confirmation email on monday but I'm all the way in florida. I am thinking end of week.

740 turbo brickMar-18-09 11:29 PM
831 posts,
#103191, "RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's"
In response to Reply # 10

Like 10 minutes for me. Took a little longer later when I cut holes in the covers, but initial install and fire up should be 10 mins or less.

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

whtclipse98Mar-19-09 06:23 AM
137 posts,
#103192, "RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's"
In response to Reply # 11

Sorry my bad, I meant how long did it take to get them from DDM. Sorry bout that. Installation should be easy cause I got the whole car gutted.

740 turbo brickMar-19-09 12:02 PM
831 posts,
#103197, "RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's"
In response to Reply # 12

Ha, that makes more sense. I got my DDM set from SharpHID and they were slammed because of the christmas season and it took maybe 2 weeks after ordering them to get them. Not sure about DDMtuning though.

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

whtclipse98Mar-19-09 08:31 PM
137 posts,
#103209, "RE: HID wire harness, those of you who have HID's"
In response to Reply # 13

yeah I'm stoked to get them. I am anxious. I have been rewiring the electrical due to having the rear taillights blink differently along with rewiring foglights and removing wires that went no where. Since I have the bumper off, I figured it would be the best time to do the HIDs in the car.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #102972 Previous topic | Next topic