Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9447
View in linear mode

Subject: "over heating problem.." Previous topic | Next topic
98starGSNov-14-04 04:29 PM
Member since Nov 11th 2003
528 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9447, "over heating problem.."

i just picked up a 91 gsx and on the ride home it was over heating. first i thought it was just an air pocket in the system since it was a fresh rebuild like 500 miles and its just been sitting. so i flushed the system and check the thermostat. i ended up just removin the thermostat and seein if that would fix the problem and it hasn't.. right now the heat isn't hooked up in the car would that be affecting this problem? other then this issue the cars running awesome so anyone have some suggestions??

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: over heating problem.., Remy, Nov-14-04 06:49 PM, #1
RE: over heating problem.., 98starGS, Nov-14-04 07:09 PM, #2
      RE: over heating problem.., Vandy420a, Nov-14-04 07:16 PM, #3
           RE: over heating problem.., HybriDSM, Nov-15-04 03:40 AM, #4
                RE: over heating problem.., ModeratoreclipzGST, Nov-15-04 08:07 AM, #5
                     RE: over heating problem.., 98starGS, Nov-16-04 12:27 PM, #6
                          MAKE IT STOP!!! over heating problem.., 98starGS, Nov-20-04 05:56 PM, #7

RemyNov-14-04 06:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9448, "RE: over heating problem.."
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by 98starGS
i just picked up a 91 gsx and on the ride home it was over heating. first i thought it was just an air pocket in the system since it was a fresh rebuild like 500 miles and its just been sitting. so i flushed the system and check the thermostat. i ended up just removin the thermostat and seein if that would fix the problem and it hasn't.. right now the heat isn't hooked up in the car would that be affecting this problem? other then this issue the cars running awesome so anyone have some suggestions??

Headgasket

Leaking hoses

bad radiator

thermostat

guess you cant start testing those

WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

98starGSNov-14-04 07:09 PM
528 posts,
#9449, "RE: over heating problem.."
In response to Reply # 1

i'm not leakin anything, and the motor was just rebuilt. theres not coolant in the oil or vise versa. i removed the thermostat just to see if that was the problem as well and its still gettin hotter then i'd like. is there away to test the water pump to see if its bad? i've also noticed that it'll climb up and then it'll drop back down? could the gauge be off? i'd love to dsm link it and see what the actual temp is.

Vandy420aNov-14-04 07:16 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#9450, "RE: over heating problem.."
In response to Reply # 2

if the motor was rebuilt recently it could be a poorly seated/bad head gasket. Find out if they decked the head before putting it back on.....

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

HybriDSMNov-15-04 03:40 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#9451, "RE: over heating problem.."
In response to Reply # 3

I just fixed my overheating problems and here is the check list I went through.

Headgasket - not leaking? OK (although there was a tiny tiny bit of oil in my coolant when I drained some yesterday, which I will have to keep and eye on.)

Radiator core - New fluidyne, so that part is spot on although your old radiator could just be broken and malfunctioning.

Fans - Make sure you are pulling alot of air, if stock, then chances are you are fine. If you have aftermarket fans, make sure they are pulling with a good amount of flow.

Coolant level - after running the car, did you let it cool to check that the coolant level was still all the way up?

Thermostat - This ended up being my problem. I got my brand new one from the Stealership for $16 and bam, no more overheating. To check yours, take it out, put it in a pot of boiling water and the cylinder should open 8mm in the 212* water. Any less than a full opening means you should replace that sucker.

Water Pump - Mine is brand new so I'm all good there, but if you will be doing your timing belt soon, replace that with a brand new one.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

ModeratoreclipzGSTNov-15-04 08:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#9452, "RE: over heating problem.."
In response to Reply # 4

another way to check the thermostat would be to take off the cap when the car is cold, start it up and watch the coolant. If it starts flowing as the car reaches operating temp, it's good. If it starts to rise and just goes into the overflow, it's stuck closed or not opening enough.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

98starGSNov-16-04 12:27 PM
528 posts,
#9453, "RE: over heating problem.."
In response to Reply # 5

well i hooked the heater core back up and took her for a test drive and everything seemed to be normal now. for some reason he didn't hook that back up after the rebuild(no idea why). thanks for the suggestions with the thermostat.

98starGSNov-20-04 05:56 PM
528 posts,
#9454, "MAKE IT STOP!!! over heating problem.."
In response to Reply # 6

so i thought i fixed the problem... no such luck, lastnight the radiator sprung a leak so i put a new one in today, with a perma cool fan and one stocker. around town the cars fine no issues but once i'm on the hwy and at a steady pace like 75/80 it wants to start climbin and once i get off an exit i start to heat soak. how do i solve this problem. i dont have coolant in my oil or oil in my coolant i changed both. i just want it fixed already.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9447 Previous topic | Next topic