Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8894
View in linear mode

Subject: "For those with the EvoIII 16g" Previous topic | Next topic
420a-TnthewerksMar-10-05 10:41 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8894, "For those with the EvoIII 16g"
Mar-10-05 10:45 AM by 420a-Tnthewerks

I just wanted to know what your fuel setup is. I want to see all the possibilities to tune this thing.

I'm probably going to get:

255lph FP(already have)
SAFC-II
pocketlogger

Now, do I NEED larger injectors to run around 17-18psi?(with the 450cc's) I see alot say to get 660's for 20+psi(I have 93 octane). Which I want to get to later, but what are the stockers good for?

DSMLink kind of intimidates me, and cost would cost me quite a bit more.

But how did you tune your EvoIII 16g?

Edit- Did you have to get an AFPR?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, scottfreeman80, Mar-10-05 10:53 AM, #1
RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-10-05 11:25 AM, #2
      RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, TeamJeff_99gs, Mar-10-05 01:51 PM, #3
      RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, 420a-Tnthewerks, Mar-10-05 04:59 PM, #4
           RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-10-05 09:10 PM, #5
                RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, BMPDirk, Mar-11-05 03:05 AM, #6
                     RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-11-05 07:31 AM, #7
                          RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, 420a-Tnthewerks, Mar-11-05 08:51 AM, #8
                               RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, scottfreeman80, Mar-11-05 03:22 PM, #9
                                    RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, 420a-Tnthewerks, Mar-12-05 09:41 AM, #10
                                         RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, 420a-Tnthewerks, Mar-15-05 06:43 PM, #11
                                              RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, Vandy420a, Mar-16-05 02:42 AM, #12
                                              RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, 420a-Tnthewerks, Mar-16-05 08:57 AM, #15
                                                   RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, 420a-Tnthewerks, Mar-16-05 05:19 PM, #17
                                              RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, Vandy420a, Mar-16-05 02:43 AM, #13
                                                   RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-16-05 05:57 AM, #14
                                                        RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g, Vandy420a, Mar-16-05 10:38 AM, #16

scottfreeman80Mar-10-05 10:53 AM
Member since Nov 13th 2002
88 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8895, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 0

you will need to port the turbo, especially on the exhaust side and get a 34mm flapper for it unless you want to see boost creep I had to port my evo3 twice and then call road race for the wastegate upgrade. i use 680's, safcI, datalogger, and MAFT ramcharger to get mine tuned. 450's are too small for the higher psi range (18+). good luck.

1995 GST
6-bolt JDM swap
Evo 16G port/polish
28x7.5x3.5 FMIC (had to cut bumper to make it fit)
686 Injectors
Walbro 255-HP
ACT 2600 Clutch
Full 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust
RamCharge MAF Translator w/ upgrade chip
RRE Front/Rear Strut Bar
Eibach Pro-Kit
NGK Plugs/Wires
Crushed 1g BOV vented to atmosphere
Apexi SAFC
Powerslot Rotors
Autometer Phantom A/F, Boost, EGT
Redline Synthetic M.T.F.
2g Manifold ported w/ ported 02 housing
K&N Custom Cold Air Intake
Apexi Turbo Timer
Joe P MBC @ 19p.s.i.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-10-05 11:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#8896, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm running:
rewired walbro 190
rc 550's
S-AFC
SBR 2.5" o2 housing w/dump tube

I run 18-19 psi. I creep to 21 sometimes. Fuel keeps up no problem so I didn't bother porting. If I end up doing any porting, it will be just to flow more, not to try to eliminate the boost creep.
If the creeping bothers you turn the boost down and let it creep to what you'd have it set at in the 1st place.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

TeamJeff_99gsMar-10-05 01:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#8897, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 2

Yes you NEED larger injectors.

I sure wish people would read the forum more often. I think the idea of having all the correct supporting mods BEFORE upgrading the turbo is said at least once a day.

420a-TnthewerksMar-10-05 04:59 PM
2267 posts,
#8898, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-10-05 05:01 PM by 420a-Tnthewerks

Originally posted by eclipzGST
I'm running: rewired walbro 190 rc 550's S-AFC SBR 2.5" o2 housing w/dump tube I run 18-19 psi. I creep to 21 sometimes. Fuel keeps up no problem so I didn't bother porting. If I end up doing any porting, it will be just to flow more, not to try to eliminate the boost creep. If the creeping bothers you turn the boost down and let it creep to what you'd have it set at in the 1st place.

That's all, just a S-AFC to tune it?

And yes Jeff, I did read, note that I said I read most go with 660's. 550's are good for ~22psi, possibly a little more according to RRE. I wasn't asking what supporting mods I will need, I just wanted to know what the stockers were good for and what everybody used to tune.

And for the supporting mods:

ported Evo exhaust mani
ported Evo o2 housing
3" turbo back
fmic w/short piping
rewired 255lph fp
and maybe a GM maf w/ maft

I read 660's are pretty much the end of the line for the S-AFC, is that right?

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-10-05 09:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#8899, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
Originally posted by eclipzGST I'm running: rewired walbro 190 rc 550's S-AFC SBR 2.5" o2 housing w/dump tube I run 18-19 psi. I creep to 21 sometimes. Fuel keeps up no problem so I didn't bother porting. If I end up doing any porting, it will be just to flow more, not to try to eliminate the boost creep. If the creeping bothers you turn the boost down and let it creep to what you'd have it set at in the 1st place.
That's all, just a S-AFC to tune it?

S-AFC and pocketlogger.

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

BMPDirkMar-11-05 03:05 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#8900, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 5

You dont really need the evo exhaust manifold, and the evo 02 housing wont line up correctly with your downpipe. How much is a ported evo 02 housing going to cost you? you could just go with a 2.5 tubular o2 housing from 122performance which will line up perfectly and probably cost less. As for getting a 34mm flapper, FP(forced performance) will disagree. They wont put a 34mm flapper on that turbo saying that a properly ported turbine side/wastegate passage is enough. I know DSMLink is alot, but you should really save up for it, its worth it.

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-11-05 07:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#8901, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 6

Another thing about using a 34mm flapper is that since it has more surface area, it's more likely to blow open under high boost.

420a-TnthewerksMar-11-05 08:51 AM
2267 posts,
#8902, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 7
Mar-11-05 08:51 AM by 420a-Tnthewerks

Yeah, I wasn't planning on get the 34mm flapper. I was at first awhile ago until I heard that it's hard to hold high boost. But I was reading about this one with ported everything, 3" exhaust(with a "high flow" cat) creeping pretty bad and he had to tear it all apart again and install the bigger flapper. But I'm not going to get unless I absolutely have to.

As for the mods, they're not set in stone as it will still take me awhile to get everything. I'll probably just end up porting the stock mani(if I can find an evo mani for cheaper than doing that, I'll probably go with the evo). And I'll look into that 122performance housing.

Thanks

scottfreeman80Mar-11-05 03:22 PM
Member since Nov 13th 2002
88 posts,
#8903, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 8

I haven't experienced any problems with the 34mm flapper, it seems to work even better under high boost, mine sticks right at 19psi.
If you end up buying the MAFT, it is a decent tuning tool as well, but wont beat a pocketlogger

1995 GST
6-bolt JDM swap
Evo 16G port/polish
28x7.5x3.5 FMIC (had to cut bumper to make it fit)
686 Injectors
Walbro 255-HP
ACT 2600 Clutch
Full 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust
RamCharge MAF Translator w/ upgrade chip
RRE Front/Rear Strut Bar
Eibach Pro-Kit
NGK Plugs/Wires
Crushed 1g BOV vented to atmosphere
Apexi SAFC
Powerslot Rotors
Autometer Phantom A/F, Boost, EGT
Redline Synthetic M.T.F.
2g Manifold ported w/ ported 02 housing
K&N Custom Cold Air Intake
Apexi Turbo Timer
Joe P MBC @ 19p.s.i.

420a-TnthewerksMar-12-05 09:41 AM
2267 posts,
#8904, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by scottfreeman80
I haven't experienced any problems with the 34mm flapper, it seems to work even better under high boost, mine sticks right at 19psi. If you end up buying the MAFT, it is a decent tuning tool as well, but wont beat a pocketlogger

You have a pretty close mod list to what I want. Have you ever taken it to the track? How's traction?

420a-TnthewerksMar-15-05 06:43 PM
2267 posts,
#8905, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 10

Does anybody have the SAFC II? Can you save your runs with it? Because it has a knock sensor, so I'm contemplating if the pocketlogger is even worth it now. But if you have to watch the values in real-time and not be able to save the run, I'll get the pocketlogger cable too.

Vandy420aMar-16-05 02:42 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#8906, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 11

get the AFPR, but its something you can wait on--

i'm gonna get one soon---I have serious partial throttle drivability issues

i'm running 660's and they're fine, I would prob go with them over 550's. Is your walbro the HP model? (mine is not)--

255lph
Denso 660's
SAFC-II
34mm Flapper(works great, no creep)
18psi daily

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

420a-TnthewerksMar-16-05 08:57 AM
2267 posts,
#8907, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by Vandy420a
get the AFPR, but its something you can wait on-- i'm gonna get one soon---I have serious partial throttle drivability issues i'm running 660's and they're fine, I would prob go with them over 550's. Is your walbro the HP model? (mine is not)-- 255lph Denso 660's SAFC-II 34mm Flapper(works great, no creep) 18psi daily

Cool, I've read most people don't need the AFPR and the stock FPR is just fine, but I'll just have to wait see what it does for me.

About the S-AFC II, does it save your runs or do you have to look at it while driving to know if you're knocking, etc? You don't have a pocketlogger do you? Maybe the S-AFC's values are pieces of shit and not reading right and that's why you have the problem lol. I just don't know if I trust the S-AFC's readings enough. I'll probably get both since I already have a Palm V. What's another $125 on top of $5000 right?

420a-TnthewerksMar-16-05 05:19 PM
2267 posts,
#8908, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
About the S-AFC II, does it save your runs or do you have to look at it while driving to know if you're knocking, etc? You don't have a pocketlogger do you? Maybe the S-AFC's values are pieces of shit and not reading right and that's why you have the problem lol.

Vandy420aMar-16-05 02:43 AM
2037 posts,
#8909, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 11

get the AFPR, but its something you can wait on--

i'm gonna get one soon---I have serious partial throttle drivability issues

i'm running 660's and they're fine, I would prob go with them over 550's. Is your walbro the HP model? (mine is not)--

255lph
Denso 660's
SAFC-II
34mm Flapper(works great, no creep)
18psi daily

PS Tony---I found the original pic for my sig on my computer in the "eclipse pics" file---I just realized, I think its your car...

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-16-05 05:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#8910, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by Vandy420a
PS Tony---I found the original pic for my sig on my computer in the "eclipse pics" file---I just realized, I think its your car...

Did it look something like this?

Vandy420aMar-16-05 10:38 AM
2037 posts,
#8911, "RE: For those with the EvoIII 16g"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by Vandy420a PS Tony---I found the original pic for my sig on my computer in the "eclipse pics" file---I just realized, I think its your car...
Did it look something like this?

YEP!

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8894 Previous topic | Next topic