Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8888
View in linear mode

Subject: "not getting spark in cyl 4-1 after head gasket replacment" Previous topic | Next topic
BasikstylzMar-18-05 04:06 PM
Old School 2GNTer
129 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8888, "not getting spark in cyl 4-1 after head gasket replacment"

So I replaced my headgasket on my 96 Tsi and now that everything is back together Im not getting any spark at the coil pack for cylinders 4-1. I have pulled the coil pack and the igniter and tried them on another dsm, and they worked just fine. So whats next? how do I find the faulty wire? or if its the cpu? I was told its not the crank angle sensor because if it was I wouldn't be getting any spark, and I am currently getting spark afor cyl. 2-3. Also its not the spark plug wires because I switched them around and still the same out come. no spark at cyl 4-1. any help would be great.

Thanks,
Jeff

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TeamJeff_99gsMar-18-05 07:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8889, "RE: not getting spark in cyl 4-1 after head gasket replacment"
In response to Reply # 0

The only thing I can think of is you must have bumped some wires or the coil when removing the head. Either that, or it is a huge coincidence that your coil died at the same time you did the headgasket.

I am assuming all of the correct plugs are installed where they need to be on the head? Is everything properly grounded?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BasikstylzMar-18-05 09:50 PM
Old School 2GNTer
129 posts,
#8890, "RE: not getting spark in cyl 4-1 after head gasket replacment"
In response to Reply # 1

well the coil is fine, I put it into another dsm and it worked fine. As far as I know the plugs are all in the correct place, I labeled them as I pulled them off, but aren't all the plugs diff shapes? if not wich ones are similar, I can try switching them. also the only ground I can think of off hand is the one attached to the intake manifold is there another? if so where? so I can check to see if I have connected it or not.

Thanks,
Jeff

thedawgMar-21-05 09:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#8891, "RE: not getting spark in cyl 4-1 after head gasket replacment"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-21-05 09:41 AM by thedawg

If its not coil, not ignitor/transistor, not plug wires, then it's either ECU or wiring harness.
Probably injector driver on the ECU. Unlikely maybe, but that's what I'd check next anyways.

BasikstylzMar-21-05 01:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
129 posts,
#8892, "RE: not getting spark in cyl 4-1 after head gasket replacment"
In response to Reply # 3

how do I check those?

thedawgMar-22-05 05:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#8893, "RE: not getting spark in cyl 4-1 after head gasket replacment"
In response to Reply # 4

Crap, my cool picture didn't show up

Click this link- the diagram is GREAT for troubleshooting ignition problems

http://www.taboospeedshop.com/ignition.htm

Without looking at the chiltons/shop manual, I'd hook up a voltmeter at various points, starting right at the injectors, to test for 5V switched power or a switched ground, whichever it uses (don't remember). Just use Cyls 2-3 as a reference.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8888 Previous topic | Next topic