Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8846
View in linear mode

Subject: "Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!" Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseRacer95Mar-27-05 04:57 PM
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
87 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8846, "Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"

Well ever since i installed my boost guage i have had a CEL. I have also noticed choppy idle and that its hesitant until it hits full boost. I have brought it to a mechanic but they said that it was my guage and they seald off the guage. But light came on like 3 miles down the road. So my question is that i am completely out of ideas. The mechanic ran the code and came up with a vac leak by the FPR. I have checked very hose next to that stupid thing but it still appears. I have also change plugs, wires, valve cover and gasket, and ran some Restore through it. Can some one please help me figure out this problem? Thanks Matt

!!!!!!!!!SOLD!!!!!!!
Just bought a 1996 AWD Talon TSI!

Racing a Honda is like racing in the Special Olympics, even if you win your still retarted!!!!!!!!"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, TeamJeff_99gs, Mar-28-05 03:53 AM, #1
RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, EclipseRacer95, Mar-28-05 05:02 AM, #2
      RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, RST95eclipse, Mar-28-05 07:12 AM, #3
           RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, EclipseRacer95, Mar-28-05 10:31 AM, #4
                RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, EclipseRacer95, Mar-28-05 10:33 AM, #5
                     RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, EvMan2345, Mar-28-05 10:58 AM, #6
                          RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, EclipseRacer95, Mar-28-05 04:29 PM, #7
                               RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, 420a-Tnthewerks, Mar-28-05 04:36 PM, #8
                                    RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, EclipseRacer95, Mar-28-05 04:43 PM, #9
                                    RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-28-05 05:38 PM, #10
                                    RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, TeamJeff_99gs, Mar-28-05 05:40 PM, #11
                                         RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-28-05 08:14 PM, #16
                                    RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, eclipsekaiser, Mar-28-05 05:58 PM, #12
                                         RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, 420a-Tnthewerks, Mar-28-05 06:02 PM, #13
                                              RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, EclipseRacer95, Mar-28-05 06:58 PM, #14
                                                   RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, eclipsekaiser, Mar-28-05 08:01 PM, #15
                                                        RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, EclipseRacer95, Mar-29-05 07:06 AM, #17
                                                             RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-29-05 07:58 AM, #18
                                                                  RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, Diceman19, Mar-29-05 08:32 AM, #19
                                                                       RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, EclipseRacer95, Mar-29-05 11:17 AM, #20
                                                                            RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!, EclipseRacer95, Mar-30-05 05:18 AM, #21

TeamJeff_99gsMar-28-05 03:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8847, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 0

Remove the gauge and see if it goes away.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EclipseRacer95Mar-28-05 05:02 AM
87 posts,
#8848, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 1

The shop that I brought it to did that and I got about 5 miles down the road and the CEL came back on. I am really stumped! Thanks though! Matt

!!!!!!!!!SOLD!!!!!!!

Racing a Honda is like racing in the Special Olympics, even if you win your still retarted!!!!!!!!"

RST95eclipseMar-28-05 07:12 AM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
#8849, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 2

It might be a vac leak elsewhere. I'd check every vac line you have.

EclipseRacer95Mar-28-05 10:31 AM
87 posts,
#8850, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks, I ll try looking! Anything I can try? Matt

!!!!!!!!!SOLD!!!!!!!

EclipseRacer95Mar-28-05 10:33 AM
87 posts,
#8851, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 4

I also noticed today that when i unscrewed the cap to fill it with gas, there was alot of air that came out. It sounded like I had big ballon deflating. Any ideas why or is this normal? Matt

!!!!!!!!!SOLD!!!!!!!

EvMan2345Mar-28-05 10:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
#8852, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 5

thats pressure within your fuel system. Thats normal...

Evan B
97 GS- FOR SALE
90 GSX-sold
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

EclipseRacer95Mar-28-05 04:29 PM
87 posts,
#8853, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 6

I have been doing someresearch and i found that the sock vac is just about at -20psi. My guage reads that the vac at idle is at about -21psi so that would mean that there couldn't be a leak....right? I am really stumped about this problem...i have even thought about getting rid of the car altogether. Any more ideas would be great! Thanks, Matt

!!!!!!!!!SOLD!!!!!!!

420a-TnthewerksMar-28-05 04:36 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#8854, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by EclipseRacer95
I have been doing someresearch and i found that the sock vac is just about at -20psi. My guage reads that the vac at idle is at about -21psi so that would mean that there couldn't be a leak....right? I am really stumped about this problem...i have even thought about getting rid of the car altogether. Any more ideas would be great! Thanks, Matt

My gauge reads about 18-20 vac. 21 may mean there is a leak somewhere in your vaccum hoses... try soapy water.

EclipseRacer95Mar-28-05 04:43 PM
87 posts,
#8855, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 8

What do i do with the soapy water.....if there was a leak wouldnt it read less vaccum? Matt

!!!!!!!!!SOLD!!!!!!!

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-28-05 05:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#8856, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 9

where exactly is the line tapped for your boost signal?
Is it here?...

Don't mind all the loom and crap. It's all been long gone. I took this pic about a week after I had the car.
The pressure when you take off the gas cap is normal. In fact, if you didn't have the system pressureized, that too would throw a CEL.
I think you either have the tap in the wrong spot or the knocked off/loosened a line by accident.
Don't give up and sell the car so easily, this is a minor issue...

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

TeamJeff_99gsMar-28-05 05:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#8857, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 9

Oh man, I just got a flat tire. Time to sell the entire car.

If something like a little hesitation and a CEL makes you want to sell your car, you shouldn't own it in the first place.

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-28-05 08:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#8858, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
Oh man, I just got a flat tire. Time to sell the entire car.

don't sell it dude. You'll make a lot more if you part it out...

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

eclipsekaiserMar-28-05 05:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#8859, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 8

21 mmHg does not means a leak present, In fact it is perfectly healthy and your rings are sealing. I'm willing to bet there isn't even a leak anywhere. How does your idle RPM look like when warmed? And what was the CEL related to?

I have yet to hear a case of Boost gauge install yielding a CEL when performed correctly.

If you had a leak in your vaccum source, your numbers wil be lower (meaning toward zero), and your idle will be higher. Plus you woudl hear it too.

-K-

420a-TnthewerksMar-28-05 06:02 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#8860, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 12
Mar-28-05 06:03 PM by 420a-Tnthewerks

Woops, I had a brain fart.

Edit- by the soapy water, I meant put it on the hoses and see if any bubbles come up.

EclipseRacer95Mar-28-05 06:58 PM
87 posts,
#8861, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 13

Well, my idle fluxuates from about 750-900 back and forth( really shakey). I did take that line for the guage and it seems to be connected pretty good. When I am driving the car it will hesitation until it hits boost and then pull but not as much as it did stock. I just cant figure out this problem. I have owned two DSM and the one I sold also had bad hesitation before I sold it. I followed up on it and the owner of it now had to replace the whole ignition system and still is having problems. I am not in a hurry to sell it, but dont have the money to constantly be fixing petty problems. Thanks for all the help so far! Matt

!!!!!!!!!SOLD!!!!!!!

eclipsekaiserMar-28-05 08:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#8862, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 14

For it to idle around 700-900 is pretty normal.

I still want to know why it threw a CEL. That could be the source of your problem.

And Tune-Up?

-K-

EclipseRacer95Mar-29-05 07:06 AM
87 posts,
#8863, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 15

I know! Its so fustating! I brought it in to get the codes run and they said that it was a vac leak near the FPR! They took it into their own hands to completely disconnect my boost guage. Well, obviously that didnt work otherwise I wouldnt be posting. But if they said that the codes were from a vac leak....WHERE IS IT!! Could it be a faulty TPS sensor, because I would bet any money that it is still the stock one. Matt

!!!!!!!!!SOLD!!!!!!!

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-29-05 07:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#8864, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 17

you could always just ditch all the vaccuum lines and emissions crap.

Diceman19Mar-29-05 08:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#8865, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by eclipzGST
you could always just ditch all the vaccuum lines and emissions crap.

too easy. everyone likes to search for a needle in a haystack.

EclipseRacer95Mar-29-05 11:17 AM
87 posts,
#8866, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 19

What do you mean.....like take all vac lines off and cap them or replace all the vac lines.......so it can't be a faulty TPS? Matt

!!!!!!!!!SOLD!!!!!!!

EclipseRacer95Mar-30-05 05:18 AM
87 posts,
#8867, "RE: Stupid CEL - Sorry Long!"
In response to Reply # 20

How do you check the TPS sensor? Matt

!!!!!!!!!SOLD!!!!!!!

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8846 Previous topic | Next topic