Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #846
View in linear mode

Subject: "Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi" Previous topic | Next topic
FlyinEsiJan-25-06 03:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#846, "Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"

Well, I haven't made a big huff about it, but I got a new GSX with a few problems. One of them is a boost gauge that does not read correctly. When I first go the car it was very sluggish and I could barely even hear the turbo spooling whatsoever, but my boost gauge would be hitting 20psi and there was no blow off at all between gears. The boost controller wasn't hooked up, so I did that last night w/o adjusting anything, the turbo is coming alive a bit, but still not much, but now my boost gauge is reading like 35psi. Now I can hear the turbo more, and I still barely have any blow off.

The intake manifold on this car is missing a few vacuum ports compared to the 1g, could that be a problem? Any other suggestions on how to get this boost gauge to read correctly?

Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi, 97eclipse97, Jan-25-06 03:53 AM, #1
RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi, BigBald, Jan-25-06 05:57 AM, #2
      RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi, destruckeclipse, Jan-25-06 01:05 PM, #3
           RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi, FlyinEsi, Jan-26-06 03:30 AM, #4
                RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi, Diceman19, Jan-26-06 06:15 AM, #5
                     RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi, 97eclipse97, Jan-26-06 06:15 PM, #6
                          RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi, ScreaminE, Jan-27-06 04:45 AM, #7
                               RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi, Blizare, Jan-27-06 06:09 PM, #8
                                    RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi, FlyinEsi, Jan-30-06 03:00 AM, #9
                                         RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi, 97eclipse97, Jan-30-06 09:55 AM, #10
                                              RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi, FlyinEsi, Jan-30-06 11:37 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi, Hult250R, Jan-30-06 12:21 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi, FlyinEsi, Jan-30-06 12:35 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi, 97eclipse97, Jan-30-06 04:28 PM, #14
                                                        RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi, slowmitsu, Jan-31-06 05:01 AM, #15

97eclipse97Jan-25-06 03:53 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#847, "RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"
In response to Reply # 0

Are the lines switched? Make sure they are hooked up correctly, and if they are and it is still reading wrong, it might be time for a new one.

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BigBaldJan-25-06 05:57 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#848, "RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"
In response to Reply # 1

Have you verified you have 0 boost leaks? Also, I would un hook the Boost Controller and see whats going on with boost. Get it so the car is running correctly off the WG before installing a MBC.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

destruckeclipseJan-25-06 01:05 PM
Member since Apr 26th 2004
576 posts,
#849, "RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"
In response to Reply # 2

Just want to say, you should post pics of your new car

'95 GSX - Big16G ~ Leaks, but atleast it runs.

FlyinEsiJan-26-06 03:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#850, "RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"
In response to Reply # 3

Diceman19Jan-26-06 06:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#851, "RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"
In response to Reply # 4

electronic or "standard"?

97eclipse97Jan-26-06 06:15 PM
695 posts,
#852, "RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"
In response to Reply # 5

Also, where are you tapping your BC and gauge into? If your BC is tapped into your turbo or licp, I think that in itself can cause spikes. The best is to have the bc run off of the BOV line (that goes to the intake) and the gauge off of either the bov line or the FPR line (again off of the intake). Let us know if you find out anything.

ScreaminEJan-27-06 04:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
815 posts,
#853, "RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"
In response to Reply # 6

No! we want pictures of your NEW car, not your old one before you had any mods done to it. hehe

I thinks it's cool you got the twin to your old car!

BlizareJan-27-06 06:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#854, "RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"
In response to Reply # 7

Nice car Dan, but is it a lighter color than the old one?

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

FlyinEsiJan-30-06 03:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#855, "RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"
In response to Reply # 8

Yes, it is a very different color. This one is kind of a sandy/champagne color where the other one was charcoal/gunmetal. At night, I almost can't tell them apart though, but the daytime is a drastic difference.

Still haven't found my boost gauge problem, and I spent all day saturday ripping parts off of X1 to get ready to install on X2.

97eclipse97Jan-30-06 09:55 AM
695 posts,
#856, "RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"
In response to Reply # 9

So which of the suggestions have you tried so far? That would at least help narrow it down...

FlyinEsiJan-30-06 11:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#857, "RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"
In response to Reply # 10

The lines are all hooked up right. The BC is hooked into the BOV and the gauge is hooked into the FPR line. I don't have a boost leak tester, but I might have a vacuum leak. I have a hacked adapter since the EGR sensor doesn't exist on the Cyclone Turbo intake manifold it is screwed to a wooden box with a vacuum line running into the other side, but the box is all cracked up and I think it is causing all of my problems.

Can I just swap on my 2g intake manifold, hook everything up right, and give that a try? I was told a 2G intake mani would not bolt up to a 1G head because of the port size difference. Any truth to that?

Hult250RJan-30-06 12:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#858, "RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
I have a hacked adapter since the EGR sensor doesn't exist on the Cyclone Turbo intake manifold it is screwed to a wooden box with a vacuum line running into the other side, but the box is all cracked up and I think it is causing all of my problems.

Wooden Box?!? WTF?

Why are you running an EGR valve in the first place? Im not too familiar with 2G's and swaps but on my 1G im not even running an EGR valve, its blocked off and the vac lines are plugged.

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

FlyinEsiJan-30-06 12:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#859, "RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by Hult250R
Originally posted by FlyinEsi I have a hacked adapter since the EGR sensor doesn't exist on the Cyclone Turbo intake manifold it is screwed to a wooden box with a vacuum line running into the other side, but the box is all cracked up and I think it is causing all of my problems.
Wooden Box?!? WTF? Why are you running an EGR valve in the first place? Im not too familiar with 2G's and swaps but on my 1G im not even running an EGR valve, its blocked off and the vac lines are plugged.

#1 Reason: Emissions - Blocking off the EGR valve I guess sets off the CEL. This way the EGR still gets its vacuum signal and works, aparantly, and I get to pass emissions.

But I'm telling you, this car is half assed all the way and I really got to figure that out when I finally really got under the hood this weekend. But I will fix it all soon I hope. I think that manifold is 1/2 of my problems right now.

97eclipse97Jan-30-06 04:28 PM
695 posts,
#860, "RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"
In response to Reply # 11

You most certainly can bolt up a 2g intake manifold onto a 1g head. What you wouldn't want to do would be to put a 1g intake manifold on a 2g head, as the port holes are bigger on the manifold. This is not an issue with a 2g manifold on a 1g head because the 2g is smaller. Are flowing from a smaller space to bigger one is happy air, while are flowing from a larger space to a smaller space is sad (for what should be obvious reasons).

slowmitsuJan-31-06 05:01 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
#861, "RE: Faulty boost gauge? I know I'm not running 35psi"
In response to Reply # 14

Eliminate easy problems first. Like BigBald says you need to be sure it isn't the BC in the first place. How does it run with only the WGA? The arm on it tightened down and not all fucked up?

When the car is idling what does the vac read?

...and I concur with the "wooden box" comments...what the ever living fuck?

_______

BPU'd skittle

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #846 Previous topic | Next topic