Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8059
View in linear mode

Subject: "1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?" Previous topic | Next topic
NHH223Aug-11-05 10:49 AM
Member since Apr 20th 2004
161 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8059, "1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"

I've been pretty busy working and saving up cash. I have a whole gameplan down once I get the money. (I hate doing one mod at a time)

My car having 132XXX miles on it, I should def. get a new head gasket before I get an EVO 3 turbo and crank the boost. So in that case, I want to get another head, either 1G or 2G, ship it out to get ported/polished, toss cams, cam gears, springs, retainers, 97 lifters and rockers, and maybe oversized valves in it.

Here are a few questions...

1) the 1G head flows more than the 2G, but will a ported 2G still make a difference over a stock 1G? Should I get and port a 1G head?

2) Installation issues?

3) Expected gains from ported head, granted I have all the supporting mods to go with it.

4) What kind of head gasket should I get? Thickness will alter my compression ratio, so, yeah what size?

That might be it, I think...

-Nick

'95 Copper GS-T "Serena" Stage 3 CM Clutch w/alumin flywheel, Injen Intake, Apex'i I/C pipes + Twin Chamber BOV, Defi D-Series Boost + A/F gauges...pushing 17psi!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, Pitchblack98, Aug-11-05 11:16 AM, #1
RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, NHH223, Aug-11-05 11:34 AM, #2
      RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, TeamJeff_99gs, Aug-11-05 02:36 PM, #3
           RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, NHH223, Aug-11-05 06:49 PM, #4
                RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Aug-11-05 08:44 PM, #5
                RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, 420a-Tnthewerks, Aug-11-05 08:50 PM, #7
                RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, 420a-Tnthewerks, Aug-11-05 08:47 PM, #6
                     RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, FlyinEsi, Aug-12-05 08:50 AM, #8
                          RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Aug-12-05 09:05 AM, #9
                               RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, Remy, Aug-12-05 12:57 PM, #10
                                    RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, NHH223, Aug-13-05 09:13 PM, #11
                                         RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, 420a-Tnthewerks, Aug-14-05 09:52 AM, #12
                                              RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, NHH223, Aug-14-05 03:29 PM, #13
                                                   RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, 420a-Tnthewerks, Aug-14-05 04:01 PM, #14
                                                        RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, NHH223, Aug-15-05 04:28 PM, #15
                                                             RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, Remy, Aug-17-05 03:17 AM, #16
                                                                  RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?, BMPDirk, Aug-18-05 06:44 AM, #17

Pitchblack98Aug-11-05 11:16 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8060, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 0
Aug-11-05 11:17 AM by Pitchblack98

1g head has bigger running to start with, but cant be ported out much before you run out of material.

2g head has much smaller runners, but can be ported out larger than a 1g head.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

NHH223Aug-11-05 11:34 AM
161 posts,
#8061, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 1

Sounds good, kinda the answer I wanted to hear, thanks, Nick

'95 Copper GS-T "Serena" Stage 3 CM Clutch w/alumin flywheel, Injen Intake, Apex'i I/C pipes + Twin Chamber BOV, Defi D-Series Boost + A/F gauges...pushing 17psi!

TeamJeff_99gsAug-11-05 02:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#8062, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 2

Yep, just port your stock head. You can flow more with a ported 2G head. Use the Mitsubishi triple metal HG with ARP head studs.

NHH223Aug-11-05 06:49 PM
161 posts,
#8063, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 3

An even better response, thanks.

As for the topic of cams, I was thinking HKS, cuz they make some DAMN good parts. And 97 rockers and lifters will eliminate my 95 lifter tick, correct?

Expected HP gains out of the built head alone... anyone?

ModeratoreclipzGSTAug-11-05 08:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#8064, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 4
Aug-11-05 08:48 PM by eclipzGST

Originally posted by NHH223
As for the topic of cams, I was thinking HKS, cuz they make some DAMN good parts.

yup, 272's
And 97 rockers and lifters will eliminate my 95 lifter tick, correct?

Nope, you need the "revised" lifters. Just get new ones from mitsu. they'll be the right ones.
Expected HP gains out of the built head alone... anyone?

JUST the head work? Probably not much if any. It will only flow as much air as is pushed through it. Throw a huge snail on there first and then you'll notice a before and after difference.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

420a-TnthewerksAug-11-05 08:50 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#8065, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by NHH223 As for the topic of cams, I was thinking HKS, cuz they make some DAMN good parts.
yup, 272's
Originally posted by NHH223 And 97 rockers and lifters will eliminate my 95 lifter tick, correct?
Nope, you need the "revised" lifters. Just get new ones from mitsu. they'll be the right ones.
Originally posted by NHH223 Expected HP gains out of the built head alone... anyone?
JUST the head work? Probably not much if any. It will only flow as much air as is pushed through it. Throw a huge snail on there first and then you'll notice a before and after difference.

Damnit you made my post sound dumb after editing yours!!!!!!!!!

420a-TnthewerksAug-11-05 08:47 PM
2267 posts,
#8066, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 4

An even better response, thanks. As for the topic of cams, I was thinking HKS, cuz they make some DAMN good parts. And 97 rockers and lifters will eliminate my 95 lifter tick, correct? Expected HP gains out of the built head alone... anyone?

I've heard that but I don't see how that's going to stop the tick, my 98 does it. What you need are 3rd gen lifters. HKS 272's are nice. HP gains could all depend on how well the porting is done.

FlyinEsiAug-12-05 08:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8067, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
Originally posted by NHH223 An even better response, thanks. As for the topic of cams, I was thinking HKS, cuz they make some DAMN good parts. And 97 rockers and lifters will eliminate my 95 lifter tick, correct? Expected HP gains out of the built head alone... anyone?
I've heard that but I don't see how that's going to stop the tick, my 98 does it. What you need are 3rd gen lifters. HKS 272's are nice. HP gains could all depend on how well the porting is done.

Definitely 272 cams, but don't get HKS, they are too expensive and have idle issues. Get the FP 272 cams, they are reworked for more power and less idle problems

I got the 3rd gen lifters and my car still ticks, but not as much.

ModeratoreclipzGSTAug-12-05 09:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#8068, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
Originally posted by NHH223 An even better response, thanks. As for the topic of cams, I was thinking HKS, cuz they make some DAMN good parts. And 97 rockers and lifters will eliminate my 95 lifter tick, correct? Expected HP gains out of the built head alone... anyone?
Definitely 272 cams, but don't get HKS, they are too expensive and have idle issues. Get the FP 272 cams, they are reworked for more power and less idle problems I got the 3rd gen lifters and my car still ticks, but not as much.

you'll have idle issues no matter which brand with such an aggresive grind. Bump the idle up to 900 or so and it won't be so bad. As far as going with anyone other than HKS, They've been around for a LONG time and are proven to be one of the best. Yes, they are expensive but you get what you pay for and when it comes to cams, would you trust your motor with a "cheaper" product? They are after all expensive for a reason.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

RemyAug-12-05 12:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#8069, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 9

Fp'2 give you the same gains as the hks 272s and idle like stock. How do I know ? They are in my car. Didnt have to adjust the idle at all.

As far as lifters , you want 3rd gen revised lifters. You can get them ebay if you feel lucky or from the usual dsm sites. They should be around $100 or so.

WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

NHH223Aug-13-05 09:13 PM
161 posts,
#8070, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 10

Wow! thanks guys for all the responses.

Sorry, but HKS is JAPANESE and I'm really proud of my mom's heritage, plus she can translate any tech support needed from Tokyo, LOL.

As far as a snail goes, here's my mod list when I do it all up...

Apex'i N1 Cat-back (for starters shit I aint got exhaust yet)
Buy a used 2G head, send it to be ported out
Let the head sit on my workbench, get the cams, cam gears, lifters, rockers, springs, retainers, etc...
Evo 3 Turbo
Evo 3 o2 housing
660cc injectors
255lph walboro
Apex'i S-AFC II
Apex'i AVC-R
Lower Intercooler pipe and HRC side-mount or equal
Dejon Tool Blow-thru pipes with HKS SSQ bov, 3" GM MAF and MAF-T
1G intake manifold w/ 1G TB and ported plenum
Apex'i N1 Downpipe
Stock Mitsu head gasket
Timing Belt and balance belt (maybe)

That's the basics and starters for my mods. I'm gonna stock up on all the parts and do a 2-day install on EVERYTHING!

240-ish HP when it rolls into my garage, and 400-ish HP (hopefully) when she rolls out of it, do you guys agree? I HATE doing one mod at a time, I think we all should dump $10,000 on our cars and see the REAL difference from near stock to totally s00ped up!

Thanks again, Nick

Also, I think I will be at the line where I can run the HP safely (boost controlled and on pump gas) without breaking my bottom end, and also be at the point where my drive axles shouldn't break. My Clutch Masters Stage 3 clutch should hold the HP... do you guys agree with me?

420a-TnthewerksAug-14-05 09:52 AM
2267 posts,
#8071, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 11
Aug-14-05 09:55 AM by 420a-Tnthewerks

I wouldn't recommend the N1, they have a higher pitched sound opposed to some other brands out there like Thermal, but it's still a popular exhaust.

And I didn't see any type of limited slip.

Edit- Oh, and I would skip the S-AFC shit and go for DSMLink.

NHH223Aug-14-05 03:29 PM
161 posts,
#8072, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 12

Well, S-AFC is something I've always wanted. Idk about DSM-link...

As far as the N1 exhaust goes, I'm kinda hooked on Apex'i products, so I'm sticking with it. Friend of mine has a Thermal on his 99 GSX sounds ok but eh, Apex'i all the way...

Limited Slip? Yea, it'd be nice, but the limited slip, trans rebuild, engine rebuild, will all be done in another weekend, along with a T4 turbo and AEM EMS, LOL... seriously, I'm not getting into ripping the engine or trans out of the car unless its a MUST!

420a-TnthewerksAug-14-05 04:01 PM
2267 posts,
#8073, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 13

Well, S-AFC is something I've always wanted. Idk about DSM-link... As far as the N1 exhaust goes, I'm kinda hooked on Apex'i products, so I'm sticking with it. Friend of mine has a Thermal on his 99 GSX sounds ok but eh, Apex'i all the way... Limited Slip? Yea, it'd be nice, but the limited slip, trans rebuild, engine rebuild, will all be done in another weekend, along with a T4 turbo and AEM EMS, LOL... seriously, I'm not getting into ripping the engine or trans out of the car unless its a MUST!

I've heard 650's are pretty much the max as far as tuning with the S-AFC. I find the SAFC pretty much a waste if you plan on going bigger someday. You can make pretty much any size injectors idle like stock with DSMLink.

NHH223Aug-15-05 04:28 PM
161 posts,
#8074, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 14

Eh, bigger means AEM EMS...

I want my foot in the door with mods or my own shop. I have to decide between the two. Having a shop just might be more fun than working for someone else. If I put mods on my car, and use it as advertisement, suddenly its a tax deductable business expense, right? LOL

RemyAug-17-05 03:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#8075, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 15
Aug-17-05 03:19 AM by Remy

Front mount. I dont know why people buy the pipes from dejon tool

WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

BMPDirkAug-18-05 06:44 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#8076, "RE: 1G Head VS 2G Head differences, which is better for port/polish?"
In response to Reply # 16
Aug-18-05 06:59 AM by BMPDirk

*Evo 3 o2 housing*
- Flange to DP is a slightly different angle than 1g/2g o2 housings...so you might have fitment issues.

*Apex'i S-AFC II*
- I would skip this and get DSMLink. Who cares if you've always wanted it, you want the best not "cool" lcd screen.

*Apex'i AVC-R*
- waste of money imo. Get a MBC. If you really want a EBC, the Greddy Profec Type S is good.

*HRC side-mount or equal*
- 500 bucks for a SMIC isn't worth it. If you can get it used for a decent price, go for it. However, local guy here heat soaked his HRC SMIC on the dyno with a big16g. Get a HRC FMIC.

*3" GM MAF and MAF-T*
- You have a 2g, so you dont need the 3"GM MAF unless you are going for serious power. Bov's are loud enough recirculated.

*HKS SSQ bov*
- Waste of money imo. 1g bov is great.

*Timing Belt and balance belt (maybe)*
- Maybe? If you are doing the head gasket, it would be wise to replace the timing belt and balance belt...or eliminate the balance belt all together with the eliminator kit.

*240-ish HP when it rolls into my garage, and 400-ish HP (hopefully) when she rolls out of it, do you guys agree?*
- No way you have 240whp with the t25. I think you're crazy if you think you can get 400ish whp out of the Evo3. I think with a good tune, you will be between 270whp-300whp @20psi-22psi or so.

*Also, I think I will be at the line where I can run the HP safely (boost controlled and on pump gas) without breaking my bottom end*
- That depends on your tune....but at "400hpish", i dont think your bottem end will last long, and i definetly wouldnt say its "safe". To make 400hp on the Evo3 you are going to have to be pushing like 27-30psi with ALOT of tuning. 400whp can be done with this turbo, but not many have done it.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8059 Previous topic | Next topic