Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7422
View in linear mode

Subject: "Remove EGR? Please help" Previous topic | Next topic
FlyinEsiMay-08-06 09:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7422, "Remove EGR? Please help"

I've been told I should remove the EGR and do the blockoff mod when I drop the new motor in...what is the point of this?

What all do I need to do to remove the EGR and charcoal canister?

Can I still pass e-missions without an EGR? With DSMlink I can turn off the DTC to keep the check engine light off, but will I still fail emissions without it hooked up properly?

As always, thanks guys

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Remove EGR? Please help, RST95eclipse, May-08-06 01:35 PM, #1
RE: Remove EGR? Please help, burntheblobs, May-08-06 05:53 PM, #2
      RE: Remove EGR? Please help, 97eclipse97, May-09-06 06:00 AM, #3
           RE: Remove EGR? Please help, burntheblobs, May-09-06 12:19 PM, #4
                RE: Remove EGR? Please help, FlyinEsi, May-09-06 01:14 PM, #5
                     RE: Remove EGR? Please help, BigBald, May-10-06 04:07 AM, #6
                          RE: Remove EGR? Please help, FlyinEsi, May-10-06 06:09 AM, #7
                          RE: Remove EGR? Please help, Remy, May-11-06 01:39 PM, #8
                               RE: Remove EGR? Please help, burntheblobs, May-11-06 04:17 PM, #9
                                    RE: Remove EGR? Please help, 97eclipse97, May-11-06 05:53 PM, #10
                                         RE: Remove EGR? Please help, RST95eclipse, May-11-06 08:04 PM, #11
                                         RE: Remove EGR? Please help, burntheblobs, May-11-06 08:27 PM, #12
                                              RE: Remove EGR? Please help, PowerEclipses, May-11-06 09:39 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Remove EGR? Please help, Remy, May-12-06 01:19 AM, #14
                                                        RE: Remove EGR? Please help, 97eclipse97, May-12-06 04:48 AM, #15
                                                             RE: Remove EGR? Please help, BigBald, May-12-06 05:27 AM, #16
                                                                  RE: Remove EGR? Please help, 97eclipse97, May-12-06 05:37 AM, #17
                                                                  RE: Remove EGR? Please help, FlyinEsi, May-12-06 08:49 AM, #18
                                                                       RE: Remove EGR? Please help, BigBald, May-12-06 01:05 PM, #19
                                                                            RE: Remove EGR? Please help, FlyinEsi, May-12-06 01:56 PM, #20
                                                                                 RE: Remove EGR? Please help, BigBald, May-13-06 06:14 AM, #21

RST95eclipseMay-08-06 01:35 PM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7423, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't believe that you'll pass emissions with an EGR blockoff. An EGR blockoff will exhaust gas from entering into your intake tract, thus lowering your temps and also help reduce carbon buildup in your intake manifold. However, it does not effect your performance a great deal. I've heard this theory; I'm not sure if it's entirely true:

If your turboed (which I'm certain you are), you could have a long term problem with your valve seals. The EGR acts as a link between the exhaust and intake tract. Sort of equalizing the two pressures. Over time, since there's a relatively large difference between the two pressures, your valve seals may become damaged.

If I were you, I'd just put a catch can in. Best of both worlds.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

burntheblobsMay-08-06 05:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#7424, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 1

The EGR valve closes during WOT, and is better for the enviroment when not WOT. Anyone who eliminates it is an idiot.

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

97eclipse97May-09-06 06:00 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#7425, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by burntheblobs
The EGR valve closes during WOT, and is better for the enviroment when not WOT. Anyone who eliminates it is an idiot.

I'd say the same about anyone who leaves it in

The EGR is for controlling NOX, which is only tested when you are on the dyno. If you are AWD (which you are), then they can't put you on the dyno, so you have nothing to worry about. Having it blocked off will not cause you to fail. In fact, I believe if you block it off, it will help lower your HC (might be CO, I can't remember). I don't think it is worth leaving it on, as I have seen a number randomly fail, or get clogged up. Just remove it, clean up your engine bay, and remove that extra weight. If you were FWD, it is another story, but really there is no point to keep it on there. Get one of the cheap blockoff plates (should only be ~$15) and be done with it.

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

burntheblobsMay-09-06 12:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#7426, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 3
May-09-06 12:22 PM by burntheblobs

Originally posted by 97eclipse97
but really there is no point to keep it on there.

I still disagree. There IS a point to keeping it on there. It is good for the enviroment at NO cost to performance. Again this valve (key word is VALVE) closes at WOT. Plus it's wrench time that could be spent doing something more productive.

FlyinEsiMay-09-06 01:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#7427, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by burntheblobs
Originally posted by 97eclipse97 but really there is no point to keep it on there.
I still disagree. There IS a point to keeping it on there. It is good for the enviroment at NO cost to performance. Again this valve (key word is VALVE) closes at WOT. Plus it's wrench time that could be spent doing something more productive.

I don't really have much to do...it's coming off. My intake pipe doesn't allow for it, so it must go.

BigBaldMay-10-06 04:07 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#7428, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 5

I dont have any emissions crap on my car. If you care about the environment that much, you shouldn't be modifying cars anyway.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

FlyinEsiMay-10-06 06:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#7429, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 6

I don't care about the environment as much as I care about passing emissions....big difference, I want to be able to drive my car . AZ is pretty strict, but luckily I'm AWD so I can't get on the dyno, all they do is plug into the OBD-II, I just want to make sure I can pass that with things I'm doing.

RemyMay-11-06 01:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#7430, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by BigBald
I dont have any emissions crap on my car. If you care about the environment that much, you shouldn't be modifying cars anyway.

Amen.

WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

burntheblobsMay-11-06 04:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#7431, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by Remy
Originally posted by BigBald I dont have any emissions crap on my car. If you care about the environment that much, you shouldn't be modifying cars anyway.
Amen. WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

You don't have to care about the enviroment at all. Even if it didn't help the enviroment, you're still not getting ANY power out of it.

97eclipse97May-11-06 05:53 PM
695 posts,
#7432, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 9

No, but power to weight ratio is everything. I also like having a cleaner engine bay, and having it off only means there is no chance of it malfunctioning (which often happens). To each there own, but I think it's silly for any AWD car to keep it on.

RST95eclipseMay-11-06 08:04 PM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
#7433, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 10

I say catch can it and run E85. And I'm being serious.

burntheblobsMay-11-06 08:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#7434, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 10

No, but power to weight ratio is everything. I also like having a cleaner engine bay, and having it off only means there is no chance of it malfunctioning (which often happens). To each there own, but I think it's silly for any AWD car to keep it on.

Installing a blockoff plate doesn't lose any weight. And if it ever malfunctions, install the blockoff plate then...not when its functioning properly. I think you all are crazy.

PowerEclipsesMay-11-06 09:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#7435, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 12

Well I have to disagree with you guys here... I removed my EGR shit and it was DYNO proven that I gained 25 awhp from doing so. At turbo trix we did it with the EGR hooked up and then disconnected it and gained the 25hp... so I say do it but then retune

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

RemyMay-12-06 01:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#7436, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by PowerEclipses
Well I have to disagree with you guys here... I removed my EGR shit and it was DYNO proven that I gained 25 awhp from doing so. At turbo trix we did it with the EGR hooked up and then disconnected it and gained the 25hp... so I say do it but then retune

You wont gain any power from taking off a egr valve. That 25hp you gained was all turbo trix and their tuning.

What does a egr valve have to do with power to weight?

Most people get rid of a egr valve because its more clutter in the engine bay. Its another vac line that just looks ugly. Just like the rest of the emissions stuff. You dont gain anything from this besides piece of mine of one less vac leak to worry about. In fact you lose gas miles behind it.

WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

97eclipse97May-12-06 04:48 AM
695 posts,
#7437, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 14

I did not weigh it, but the whole EGR system, charcoal canister and lines, etc, all weigh something. Even 5 pounds here and there are worth it, and of course cleaning up the engine bay is a big plus as well.

BigBaldMay-12-06 05:27 AM
2715 posts,
#7438, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 15

I dumped it for space reasons on mine. As far as emissions itself, you can pass without it....it has been done on numerous occasions. I thought on 97+ they now just plug into your obd2 ports. There is a obd2 readiness line of code that you can run before the test from my understanding.

97eclipse97May-12-06 05:37 AM
695 posts,
#7439, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 16

I dumped it for space reasons on mine. As far as emissions itself, you can pass without it....it has been done on numerous occasions. I thought on 97+ they now just plug into your obd2 ports. There is a obd2 readiness line of code that you can run before the test from my understanding.

'96+ is OBDII FYI

FlyinEsiMay-12-06 08:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#7440, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 16

Right...all they do is plug into obd-ii...I just wanted to make sure I would still pass that test if I had the EGR removed.

BigBaldMay-12-06 01:05 PM
2715 posts,
#7441, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
Originally posted by BigBald I dumped it for space reasons on mine. As far as emissions itself, you can pass without it....it has been done on numerous occasions. I thought on 97+ they now just plug into your obd2 ports. There is a obd2 readiness line of code that you can run before the test from my understanding.
Right...all they do is plug into obd-ii...I just wanted to make sure I would still pass that test if I had the EGR removed.

Talk to Dave or Tom on the board.

FlyinEsiMay-12-06 01:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#7442, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 19

They have also said I should be fine.

BigBaldMay-13-06 06:14 AM
2715 posts,
#7443, "RE: Remove EGR? Please help"
In response to Reply # 20

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
They have also said I should be fine.

I thought they had a button for the obd2 readiness test or something.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7422 Previous topic | Next topic