Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7216
View in linear mode

Subject: "service engine soon........." Previous topic | Next topic
1tymeGSTSep-14-06 06:52 AM
Member since Sep 01st 2006
13 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7216, "service engine soon........."

I was driving back from work today and my service engine soon light poped up....so my question is should i be worried and is it the same as check engine or are there 2 (check engine and/or service engine soon lights) I am baffled cause i dont know whats wrong

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: service engine soon........., TeamDR1665, Sep-14-06 06:59 AM, #1
RE: service engine soon........., Diceman19, Sep-14-06 09:32 AM, #2
RE: service engine soon........., 1tymeGST, Sep-14-06 01:28 PM, #3
      RE: service engine soon........., Diceman19, Sep-14-06 02:25 PM, #4
           RE: service engine soon........., 1tymeGST, Sep-14-06 02:42 PM, #5
           RE: service engine soon........., burntheblobs, Sep-14-06 03:44 PM, #6
                RE: service engine soon........., ModeratoreclipzGST, Sep-14-06 06:57 PM, #7
           RE: service engine soon........., FlyinEsi, Sep-15-06 08:08 AM, #10
                RE: service engine soon........., Diceman19, Sep-15-06 09:17 AM, #12
                     RE: service engine soon........., ModeratoreclipzGST, Sep-15-06 08:05 PM, #13
                          RE: service engine soon........., Diceman19, Sep-15-06 11:05 PM, #14
                               RE: service engine soon........., ModeratoreclipzGST, Sep-15-06 11:14 PM, #15
                                    RE: service engine soon........., Diceman19, Sep-16-06 02:22 PM, #16
                                         RE: service engine soon........., Ashiq, Oct-02-14 12:43 PM, #17
RE: service engine soon........., 420a-Tnthewerks, Sep-14-06 07:01 PM, #8
      RE: service engine soon........., 1tymeGST, Sep-15-06 02:55 AM, #9
           RE: service engine soon........., BigBald, Sep-15-06 08:23 AM, #11
RE: service engine soon........., Ashiq, Oct-02-14 12:49 PM, #18

TeamDR1665Sep-14-06 06:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7217, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 0

Up until 98, I believe, the DSMs had a "Check Engine" light, or CEL. In 98 and 99, they changed it to say "Service Engine Soon," or SES. Same thing. Go to Autozone and ask them to check it out for you. It's free.

You really ought to try searching, man. It's nice to see some action in here, but put forth some effort, eh?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Diceman19Sep-14-06 09:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#7218, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DR1665
Up until 98, I believe, the DSMs had a "Check Engine" light, or CEL. In 98 and 99, they changed it to say "Service Engine Soon," or SES. Same thing. Go to Autozone and ask them to check it out for you. It's free. You really ought to try searching, man. It's nice to see some action in here, but put forth some effort, eh?

not when it's dumb crap like this. go read the VFAQ or something, shoot, ask freakin google, i KNOW google knows.

1tymeGSTSep-14-06 01:28 PM
13 posts,
#7219, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 2

yea well wanted to come to u guys first...anyways took dr1625's advice n went to autozone and got the code checked.....came out to be a problem with the MAF's ground malfunction...... now all i have to do is find the MAF, fix the ground and i should be fine.

Thanks for the help

Diceman19Sep-14-06 02:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#7220, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 3

find the maf? are you kidding?

i'll give you a hint, it is that thing that your filter attaches to. there is a plug on it.

1tymeGSTSep-14-06 02:42 PM
13 posts,
#7221, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 4
Sep-14-06 02:48 PM by 1tymeGST

yea im a complete newb so i apologize...diceman, i figured it was that but the thing is how do i go about fixing this *maf ground malfuntioning problem* cause i have no clue...its startin to drive me crazy now cause its running real lean now........!oh and would knock develope if i'm running lean?and how do i go about figuring out if its knock cause i've never personally experienced it.

burntheblobsSep-14-06 03:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#7222, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 5

Yes running lean would cause knock, however if your MAF was not working because of a bad ground, your car would be running pig rich, not lean.

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-14-06 06:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#7223, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 6

Check the plug on the MAS and the wires going to it. Maybe there's a frayed one. If not, Try to find someone nearby that you could swap one with for a few minutes to see if that's the issue.
What other symptoms are you having? If you want to see if you're running lean, pull the spark plugs and see what color they are. Better yet, pull them and post pics for us to diagnose. Also, make sure the plug for the MAS is all the way on.
Change your plugs, post pics of the old ones for us.
Check the plug on the MAS.
Disconnect negative battery for about 10 minutes and then put back on.
Drive it.
See if light comes back on.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

FlyinEsiSep-15-06 08:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#7224, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Diceman19
find the maf? are you kidding? i'll give you a hint, it is that thing that your filter attaches to. there is a plug on it.

Hey man, why don't you try this...try being a major dickhead, because I'm sure you were never a newb either.

Damn.

Diceman19Sep-15-06 09:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#7225, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 10
Sep-15-06 09:19 AM by Diceman19

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
Originally posted by Diceman19 find the maf? are you kidding? i'll give you a hint, it is that thing that your filter attaches to. there is a plug on it.
Hey man, why don't you try this...try being a major dickhead, because I'm sure you were never a newb either. Damn.

im trying, apparently im doing too well as you dont see it.

actually wait, its not about being a dick, its about newbs not searching. i searched and read this board for 7 months prior to registering. the little stuff like is the CEL important, how do i check it, where is my maf is easily searchable. thanks and here's a cookie.

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-15-06 08:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#7226, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 12
Sep-15-06 08:08 PM by eclipzGST

i searched and read this board for 7 months prior to registering.

ding, ding, ding... we have a winnah!

Sometimes it's better to just help them and suggest searching next time they need info. This guy has only made a few posts and obviously is new to these cars. Everyone starts somewhere. Now if he does it all the time, well, that's another story.

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

Diceman19Sep-15-06 11:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#7227, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by Diceman19 i searched and read this board for 7 months prior to registering.
ding, ding, ding... we have a winnah! Sometimes it's better to just help them and suggest searching next time they need info. This guy has only made a few posts and obviously is new to these cars. Everyone starts somewhere. Now if he does it all the time, well, that's another story.

does that cookie have peanut butter chips in it? looks like it, i would love me some peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies.

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-15-06 11:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#7228, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by Diceman19 i searched and read this board for 7 months prior to registering.
ding, ding, ding... we have a winnah! Sometimes it's better to just help them and suggest searching next time they need info. This guy has only made a few posts and obviously is new to these cars. Everyone starts somewhere. Now if he does it all the time, well, that's another story.
does that cookie have peanut butter chips in it? looks like it, i would love me some peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies.

You only get one. I ate the rest of them.

Diceman19Sep-16-06 02:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#7229, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 15

You only get one. I ate the rest of them.

well ok.

good thing i got a big package of cookies at home.

AshiqOct-02-14 12:43 PM
Member since Oct 02nd 2014
2 posts,
#13262, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 16

When engine light got lighten you have to service engine soon. Other wise it will damage a lot. So do it ASAP when you got signal. I tried this one- http://check-engine-light.net you should try get better service.

420a-TnthewerksSep-14-06 07:01 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#7230, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-14-06 07:04 PM by 420a-Tnthewerks

Originally posted by DR1665
Up until 98, I believe, the DSMs had a "Check Engine" light, or CEL. In 98 and 99, they changed it to say "Service Engine Soon," or SES. Same thing.

Just a little info.. My 98 says "Check Engine", my 99 does say "Service Engine Soon". And just to go a little farther.. the "Check Engine" square is all lit up but the 99's "Service Engine Soon" only has the letter's lit up, looks alot better imo.

Yup just some useless info lol.

1tymeGSTSep-15-06 02:55 AM
13 posts,
#7231, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 8

I will do that eclipzGST, just got off work and i have the rest of the day off so ill get pics and post em up and THANKS for all the help so far

BigBaldSep-15-06 08:23 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#7232, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 9

Be happy you have a warning....AEM gives no warning at all. You pretty much have to just figure shit out on your own.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

AshiqOct-02-14 12:49 PM
Member since Oct 02nd 2014
2 posts,
#13263, "RE: service engine soon........."
In response to Reply # 0

When engine light got lighten you have to service engine soon. Other wise it will damage a lot. So do it ASAP when you got signal. I tried this one- http://check-engine-light.net you should try get better service.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7216 Previous topic | Next topic