Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6988
View in linear mode

Subject: "PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry" Previous topic | Next topic
astaindsoul5446Apr-21-09 09:11 AM
Member since Oct 01st 2006
65 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6988, "PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"

Ok Had lots of problems lately getting very mad. So i had 2 cel on. Two sensors, speed sensor and ect. So i had the sensors replaced the sensors. told the guys doing it that they had to either back feed the system, or run a jumper to the battery cables so that it didnt clear my computer(Had a hell of a time getting IM monitors off) well, to make this short. They didnt do it. Reset my ecu.... now my car when first started and cold runs lit a pile till it warms it. and also I now have to trip my IM monitors, drove it oh i dont know at least 500 miles 1 trip back and forth to college..... i have gotten only one monitor off. my ecu wont register my evap, catalyst(i think this one is off still),o2, o2 heater. What is going on here someone please give me some insight before i drive it off a cliff. is it my ECU on its way out? oh yea, my engine collant fan all of a sudden wont kick on...... NEVER ENDING BATTLE!
By the way this was after freshman auto at ALfred state worked on my car.....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, TeamDR1665, Oct-24-06 06:55 AM, #1
RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, slowmitsu, Oct-24-06 07:06 AM, #2
      RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, astaindsoul5446, Oct-24-06 09:44 AM, #3
           RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, astaindsoul5446, Oct-24-06 02:21 PM, #4
                RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-24-06 04:46 PM, #5
                     RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, astaindsoul5446, Oct-26-06 05:30 PM, #6
                          RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, astaindsoul5446, Oct-29-06 10:52 AM, #7
                               RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, astaindsoul5446, Oct-31-06 12:10 PM, #8
                                    RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, astaindsoul5446, Nov-02-06 06:00 PM, #9
                                         RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, FluxCapacitor, Nov-02-06 06:38 PM, #10
                                              RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, astaindsoul5446, Nov-03-06 12:56 AM, #11
                                                   RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, thedawg, Nov-08-06 08:49 AM, #12
                                                        RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, astaindsoul5446, Nov-08-06 09:55 AM, #13
                                                             RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, shazow1969, Nov-10-06 09:06 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, astaindsoul5446, Nov-13-06 01:18 PM, #15
                                                                       RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, shazow1969, Nov-13-06 04:20 PM, #16
                                                                            RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, ModeratoreclipzGST, Nov-13-06 05:37 PM, #17
                                                                                 RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, djtrickee, Nov-13-06 06:34 PM, #18
                                                                                      RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, astaindsoul5446, Nov-14-06 07:56 AM, #19
                                                                                           RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, shazow1969, Nov-14-06 03:43 PM, #20
                                                                                                RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, astaindsoul5446, Nov-15-06 12:40 PM, #21
                                                                                                     RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, shazow1969, Nov-15-06 02:47 PM, #22
                                                                                                          RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, thedawg, Nov-16-06 09:57 AM, #23
                                                                                                               RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, astaindsoul5446, Nov-16-06 12:24 PM, #24
                                                                                                                    RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, shazow1969, Nov-17-06 03:52 PM, #25
                                                                                                                         RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, astaindsoul5446, Nov-18-06 05:48 PM, #26
                                                                                                                         RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, shazow1969, Nov-18-06 07:22 PM, #27
                                                                                                                              RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, astaindsoul5446, Nov-19-06 03:57 PM, #28
                                                                                                                                   RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, shazow1969, Nov-21-06 08:04 AM, #31
                                                                                                                         RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, thedawg, Nov-19-06 08:24 PM, #29
                                                                                                                              RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, shazow1969, Nov-21-06 07:54 AM, #30
                                                                                                                                   RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, astaindsoul5446, Nov-27-06 01:02 PM, #32
RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry, Tguy, Apr-01-10 04:27 PM, #33

TeamDR1665Oct-24-06 06:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6989, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 0
Oct-24-06 07:01 AM by DR1665

Originally posted by astaindsoul5446
told the guys doing it that they had to either back feed the system, or run a jumper to the battery cables so that it didnt clear my computer(Had a hell of a time getting IM monitors off) . . . I now have to trip my IM monitors, drove it oh i dont know at least 500 miles 1 trip back and forth to college..... i have gotten only one monitor off.

If the shop disconnected your battery to replace sensors, they were following actual, professional proceedure. Especially when someone tells them there is something so screwed up in the electrical system that you want them to jumper it or not disconnect the battery while they're working on it.

Whatever the hell these "IM monitors" are, I suggest you start by removing them and fixing whatever electrical nightmare you created when installing them.

Sorry.

EDIT:
If this is all just to say that you have all kinds of CELs and the car runs like shit when it's cold, go to Autozone and buy a replacement CLT. It's the temp sensor for the coolant that the ECU reads for determining AFR. When these go, they tend to tell the ECU it's below freezing, in which case the car runs like crap during start up.

There are two sensors under the radiator cap. One is for the gauge, the other for the ECU. Replace the one for the ECU. Hell, replace them both. It's less than $40 and fifteen minutes work to replace them both.

Good luck to you.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

slowmitsuOct-24-06 07:06 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
#6990, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DR1665
EDIT: If this is all just to say that you have all kinds of CELs and the car runs like shit when it's cold, go to Autozone and buy a replacement CLT. It's the temp sensor for the coolant that the ECU reads for determining AFR. When these go, they tend to tell the ECU it's below freezing, in which case the car runs like crap during start up. There are two sensors under the radiator cap. One is for the gauge, the other for the ECU. Replace the one for the ECU. Hell, replace them both. It's less than $40 and fifteen minutes work to replace them both. Good luck to you.

And be careful when replacing them. They break easily under too much torque.

_______

BPU'd skittle

astaindsoul5446Oct-24-06 09:44 AM
65 posts,
#6991, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 2

ok... i dont have check engine lights anymore! the two sensor that were replaced were bad. and i realize its procedure, but there is no need to when changing a speed sensor. The elictrical is not messed up. and IM Monitors are inspection monitors. The Ecu cycles through them to make sure you car is ready to pass NYS inspect, for emissions testing. You cannot remove them, unless you want to remove you intake manifold, that pretty impossible if you want the motor to run. The O2 sensors, again..... your fill tubes for your gas tank....ummm lets see, your converter.... must i continue....
Im not stupid... ive been around car my whole life!
Im Monitors have to be cycled through certain peramiters, and i had a hell of a time getting them to come up as ready. Thats why i asked them to run a jumper wir
Get me?
the ect sensor and gauge sensor have been replaced. But the ECT sensor is connected in the IM system. that why i wonder if the sensor if somehow messed up.

astaindsoul5446Oct-24-06 02:21 PM
65 posts,
#6992, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 3

So i think i figured it out

And it didnt dawn on me yesterday untill i thought about it and look at some specs on dsmtalk.com. It is the ECT sensor and its ready faulty and tell the ecu my car is not warming up to 180 degrees. I had it almost overheating and the highest reading i got was 148 degrees. and the first IM monitor peramiter is to let the car warm up to 180 degrees....... hence the ecu is only reading to 148 there fore not allowing the rest of the parameters to progress because the first one failed the perameter. But any how. Thanks for the advice and criticism. But i think that i gotter licked!!! HOPEFULLY!!!!
Thanks alot
Jarod March

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-24-06 04:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#6993, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 4

Sounds like it's failing and needs to be replaced, or you have a wiring issue affecting the resistance.

Emissions monitors are not hard to trip. You just need to reach operating temp, some arbitrary vehicle speed and engine speed, for a ceertain amount of time. You can take care of all of them in two 15 minute trips to grab a pack of cigarettes.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

astaindsoul5446Oct-26-06 05:30 PM
65 posts,
#6994, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 5

well i just replaced the sensor today. ill see if the old sensor was bad or napa gave me the wrong one. I have a feeling that the one they keep giving me is for a non turbo, i dont believe the operating temp is the same. I have the perameters of the im monitor im gonna hook it up to a computer tomorow and see what is going on. if it indeed is the wrong one i suppose i will have to suck it up and go to the chrysler dealer again. well see. Ill let you know tomorow or sometime. But thanks for your input I do appreciate it. by the way i dont smoke, lol i chew.
im gonna try to run the parameters one the way home home from college tomorow.

P.S. I got my first speeding ticket today with my car. 55 in a 35. but he let me off with a no seatbelt ticket. THANK GOD! no point

astaindsoul5446Oct-29-06 10:52 AM
65 posts,
#6995, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 6

I got the sensor that my car calls for in the parts store system. Wired in a new pig tail and hooked up the sensor. my radiator fan stil doesnt kick on. What is the deal?
Anyone?

astaindsoul5446Oct-31-06 12:10 PM
65 posts,
#6996, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 7

More info AGAIN. Fan now turns on, it was a bad wire but after using a laser thermometer on the water gulet (dont know if that spelled correctly) it read 179 degrees. I plugged into the computer and it diplayed 95 degrees. Lead me more and more to think that the computer is bad. Anyone have any similar issue?

astaindsoul5446Nov-02-06 06:00 PM
65 posts,
#6997, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 8

so i did a resistance test on a brand new sensor and the new one that is in my car. according to the spec in my manual and from factory the sesnro should read 2100 at 70 degrees, both sensors read 10320 ...........................................................
i dont know what the deal is
Insight???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FluxCapacitorNov-02-06 06:38 PM
Member since Oct 26th 2006
26 posts,
#6998, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 9

Sometimes those voltmeters can give bad readings if the batteries inside them aren't fully charged. I've had problems with inaccurate readings in the past because of weak batteries in a volt meter.

astaindsoul5446Nov-03-06 12:56 AM
65 posts,
#6999, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 10

yea... but in my manual it is saying that the non turbo version of the sensor should be around 9000 to 11000 at 77 degrees, but i got two brand new sensors and they read exactly the same around 10320.
Maybe ill check with a dealer today instead of napa..

thedawgNov-08-06 08:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#7000, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 11

You know this is a forum for Non-Turbo 420a Chrysler engines right?

Nothing we say has anything to do with the 4g63 or 4g64 Mitsubishi engine...

What kind of car do you have exactly, and did it come from the factory with a turbo on it?

astaindsoul5446Nov-08-06 09:55 AM
65 posts,
#7001, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 12

lol no i didnt realize it was for non turbo 420a's. Im sorry. yes it is a factory turboed 4g63.

shazow1969Nov-10-06 09:06 PM
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
466 posts,
#7002, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 13

Ok Let me start by saying I have been a NYS inspector for going on 8 years now. I don't know what the hell you are talking about by Inspection Monitors. Your ECU records information pertaining to DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) When something does not function properly it saves the information in the ECU and can be retrieved and cleared with a Scanner. Now if you bring in your car and it is pre 1996, and the Check Engine light Cycles on and off at initialkey turn when being inspected we won't even hook up the scanner for emissions purposes. Now if you have a check engine light, the check engine light does not cycle, or you car is a 1996 model year or later I have to hook up the scanner. If there are any codes for emissions or evap systems you Fail the emissions portion of your inspection. If your car has a code for the battery being unhooked in the last 50 key cycles You fail the inspection. If I look under your car and don't see a Catalytic converter You fail the inspection. If I look under the hood and see that you are missing any emissions or EVAP equipment you fail the inspection.

-Kevin

01 Blazer LS 4.3/5spd dropped and clean DD
88 Camaro RS 361 CID with a 6spd and a bar 10 second street car on motor.

astaindsoul5446Nov-13-06 01:18 PM
65 posts,
#7003, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 14

Im Monitors, when you hook the car up to the computer that connects to albany. The computer checks for IM readiness.

shazow1969Nov-13-06 04:20 PM
466 posts,
#7004, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 15

Newb did you miss the fact that I am a NYS Inspector. Your ECU does not work that way. I explained how it is used in my previous post. My suggestion is you head over to DSMtuners and tell them about your imaginary Inspection Monitors. Your ECU records DTC information (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and when you go in for inspection they hook up a scanner and make sure that there is not any Emissions or Evaporative system DTC's Saved. It also counts and records key cycles since the last time your battery was unhooked, it will set a DTC code for battery being unhooked. Once you have made enough key cycles (50 I believe) it will clear this code. Now if you don't believe me go to Mitsubishi and ask them.

-Kevin

ModeratoreclipzGSTNov-13-06 05:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#7005, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by shazow1969
Newb did you miss the fact that I am a NYS Inspector. Your ECU does not work that way. I explained how it is used in my previous post. My suggestion is you head over to DSMtuners and tell them about your imaginary Inspection Monitors. Your ECU records DTC information (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and when you go in for inspection they hook up a scanner and make sure that there is not any Emissions or Evaporative system DTC's Saved. It also counts and records key cycles since the last time your battery was unhooked, it will set a DTC code for battery being unhooked. Once you have made enough key cycles (50 I believe) it will clear this code. Now if you don't believe me go to Mitsubishi and ask them. -Kevin

Actually, they don't car about the saved codes. They just want to know if there are any current ones.
CEL on, you fail.
CEL off, you pass.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

djtrickeeNov-13-06 06:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#7006, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 17
Nov-14-06 05:06 AM by djtrickee

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Actually, they don't car about the saved codes. They just want to know if there are any current ones. CEL on, you fail. CEL off, you pass.

Unfortunately that is also wrong.

Please check your LOCAL or STATE laws regarding the Check Engine Light (CEL) status in determining the pass/fail of the vehicle.

As per Colorado's most up-to-date testing requirements:

"Effective April 1, 2003, an illuminated "check engine" light is no longer a mandatory pass/fail component of the emissions testing process. If the "check engine" light is illuminated, it is noted on the vehicle inspection report each motorist receives at the end of the emissions testing procedure. However, it is an informational tool for the motorist, rather than a reason for failure."

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

astaindsoul5446Nov-14-06 07:56 AM
65 posts,
#7007, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 18

so your trying to tell me that when you connect the car to the computer for the inspection that it doesnot check the im readiness? Because ive discussed the situation with multiple mechanics who are also new york state inspectors and the all tell me the i need to run the perameters of the im monitors to have the computer ready for inspection. hence the catalyst monitor, evap moniter, map monitor, o2 monitor, and 02 heater monitor. Ive looked at this in other forums and found the perameters. so.... if what your trying to tell me is true than that means that the 9 nys inspectors are wrong? and your right? 9 vs 1.......

shazow1969Nov-14-06 03:43 PM
466 posts,
#7008, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 19
Nov-14-06 03:45 PM by shazow1969

Look man I'm not going to sit here and argue with you about inspection procedures. Maybe you are getting your wording or theirs messed up. Yes the ECU monitors all the sensors throughout the engine to include all emissions equipment. Front O2 sensor which is used to determine fuel trim (rich or lean), rear O2 sensor which monitors the catalyst to make sure it is working properly, Evap pressure sensors which tell it if there are leaks in the Evap system, EGR valve operation, and so on. Now if any of these are operating out side of the parameters that they are allowed under NYS and federal regulations used to determine whether the car is "clean" or not then you set DTC's and that's how the ECU is used to monitor for inspections. *Edit* this is very simplified version of how the ECU is working so don't quote it word for word.

So why don't I ask you this. Do you have a check engine light presently? If not don't worry about it and go get inspected. What's the worst they can do? Fail you and give you an opportunity to fix it and come back. Hell you only have to pay for the inspection once. If you fail you can fix it and come back and they have to finish it at no charge.

The thing I'm getting at here is that you really need to learn some more about your car and how things work. I am telling you that repeating things that others tell you will not get anything accomplished. Technician A says this, Technician B says the exact same thing in different words, but you are now confused and start telling us how to put square pegs in round holes.

I Hope I have clarified myself some. If you are still confuzzled feel free to PM me and maybe I can explain it to you over the phone or something.

-Kevin

astaindsoul5446Nov-15-06 12:40 PM
65 posts,
#7009, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 20
Nov-15-06 12:42 PM by astaindsoul5446

I do know about cars, what i posted i know Edit* about inspection(i dont know much about the obd2 inspection).
So ill explain my problem to you. I have tried numerous time to get my car inspected. When i go in and they plug the computer is i have atleast one or two monitors they say, not ready. Which the end up failing the car for. Safety inspection passes, im just fighting the sensors, and im getting fed up. Any ideas?

shazow1969Nov-15-06 02:47 PM
466 posts,
#7010, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 21

Find out what "P" codes the ECU is showing and what sensors/systems the shop is saying are not ready. This will help me narrow down what your problems can be.

Another question for you, do you have an aftermarket ECU or a DSM link? Either of these may be programmed not to run certain diagnostic checks at startup or during key cycles (IE EGR if you have deleted the EGR system). If you have a DSM link keep it and buy a stock ECU for inspection purposes. Swap it in about a week prior to your inspection so it has a chance to do enough key cycles to clear the battery unhooked code.

-Kevin

thedawgNov-16-06 09:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#7011, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 22
Nov-16-06 10:08 AM by thedawg

Shadow- there are monitor flags stored seperately from the P0xxxx DTCs. Please don't confuse Mr. stainedsoul because he is right, albeit not using exactly the correct terms. "IM/Inspection Monitors" are known as "non-continuous monitors".

You may not require testing of the non-continuous monitor flags in NYC*, but they are absolutely mandatory in California, and they are well documented in the CARB manual. These flags are present on both Federal and CARB equipped cars.

"Ask Mitsubishi" as I'm sure you're well aware, is a futile endeavor.

*Please read the following fact sheet for the NY Vehicle Inspection Program: http://www.nyvip.us/interior/readiness.htm
Especially the part titled "What is a Monitor".

"The subject vehicle responds back to the NYVIP equipment with data including vehicle information, the on/off status of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) and the status of the vehicle’s monitors."

Also, please get your facts straight before calling someone a newb because you work as a smog technician and therefore must be right.

astaindsoul5446Nov-16-06 12:24 PM
65 posts,
#7012, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 23

ok thanks for the input, im sorry if ive been an ass cause i havent been have the greatest of weaks. The only code i have show up after a long while is Random cylinder missfire, i believe this is because of the car running so rich from the ECT sensor. I dont know. im getting really frustrated. The car ran great until i had a High ect reading cel popup, and the shop i brought it too said i should change it. and since then ive had nothing but problems. According to the specifications on the ect i should have around 2300 ohms at 70, and im getting 10320, all the diagnostics performed point to the sensor, but this is the 4th one and i tested a brand new one straight from factory, and i still get the same thing. Any info you could get me on my problem i would greatly appreciate. Thanks alot
And again sorry for being an ass

shazow1969Nov-17-06 03:52 PM
466 posts,
#7013, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 24

Ok I got you. The ECT sensor that your ECU monitors is the one with 2 pins. The one with one pin is the one for the guage. Make sure you are testing/replacing the right one. The testing procedure is different between the 2 sensors.

thedawg - Please don't butcher my name first off. Secondly Your ECU does the Monitoring of all systems, and if you have a decent scanner (Snap-On or the like) you can monitor it yourself. This is what they are looking for,the ability to hook up to the ECU and verify that it is monitoring all the sensors and systems as it is designed. And if your ECU is ready or not to do the monitoring. Then the computer you are using for the inspection interfaces with Albany to let them know all pertinate information about the vehicle being inspected. If you remove your EGR and try to do an inspection, the ECU is going to see that as it "monitors" and set the code then the computer tells on you. Lastly As a NY state inspector you are not just a Smog inspector. We have to do the safety inspection and emissions inspection on every vehicle in for inspection. So I am not stupid I actually know how this shit works in NY. But sometimes when you get a tech trying to explain why a customer's car won't pass, in all kinds of technical terms, it can confuse the customer. Then the customer comes on here and tries to explain it again and it get's more butchered. So when I explain to people I try to simplify some so that I'm not speaking greek.

-Kevin

astaindsoul5446Nov-18-06 05:48 PM
65 posts,
#7014, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 25

ok i have tested both, the gauge(sending unit) is fine, now if the the specs are corect, at 70 degrees i should be reading 2300 ohms of resistance. I have tested four, one of which was brand spankin new, before it was even installed and it read 10320 ohms. That sensor was straight from Chrysler.......... any ideas? does anyone else have the specs for the ect? if so please post them on here. (ive looked all over the forum) Do i have to get a year newer or older sensor? are the specs different,
please let me know
Thanks alot
Jarod

shazow1969Nov-18-06 07:22 PM
466 posts,
#7015, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 26
Nov-18-06 07:22 PM by shazow1969

First what year is your car? Second your engine is a 4g63t and it is a Mitsibishi engine so go to Mitsu for it. Third are you testing for a factory turbo car ECT or the non turbo ECT? This will make a huge difference.

-Kevin

astaindsoul5446Nov-19-06 03:57 PM
65 posts,
#7016, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 27
Nov-19-06 03:58 PM by astaindsoul5446

My car is a 96(i believe its a late year96) eagle talon tsi
I have went to mitsubishi for the part, and argued with them for 45 minutes about the sensor. They tell me they need the vin # to get the part, and because the vin # is chrysler, they say it wont cross match, and the send me to chrysler. Also according to the dealer the part is for the turbo.
Im gonna try and pull an ect from a junk yard on tuesday, to test it and if its right, ill pull the part number off it and have it cross reference at autozone, or napa, or ..... you pick
Part specs? anyone?

shazow1969Nov-21-06 08:04 AM
466 posts,
#7017, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 28

Take the VIN number from under the windshield to Mitsu. Your Engine code (8th number of the vin) should be F. If they ask you for the engine code on the VIN this is what you shoulf tell them.

I just got off the phone with Advance here at home and I got a Part number for the turbo car ECT sensor it's... 385136 (at least that's the PN that Advance uses) just thought I'd throw it your way.

-Kevin

thedawgNov-19-06 08:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#7018, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 25

Originally posted by shazow1969
I am not stupid I actually know how this shit works in NY. But sometimes when you get a tech trying to explain why a customer's car won't pass, in all kinds of technical terms, it can confuse the customer. So when I explain to people I try to simplify some

Maybe you shouldn't dumb it all down for us, and post correct technical information. I think there is a good chance there are several people on here who have a better idea of the difference between a continuous and a non-continuous monitor than you do.

Just my opinion, but dumbing down something that is by nature precise and technical just makes it harder for the tech to understand the "customer". We're here to educate, not make up stories.

shazow1969Nov-21-06 07:54 AM
466 posts,
#7019, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 29

Originally posted by thedawg
Originally posted by shazow1969 I am not stupid I actually know how this shit works in NY. But sometimes when you get a tech trying to explain why a customer's car won't pass, in all kinds of technical terms, it can confuse the customer. So when I explain to people I try to simplify some
Maybe you shouldn't dumb it all down for us, and post correct technical information. I think there is a good chance there are several people on here who have a better idea of the difference between a continuous and a non-continuous monitor than you do. Just my opinion, but dumbing down something that is by nature precise and technical just makes it harder for the tech to understand the "customer". We're here to educate, not make up stories.

Fair enough. I don't pretend to know everything. But I do know the difference between continuous and non-continuous monitors. Sometimes you have to explain it in lamens terms for inexperineced guys to understand this kind of stuff though.

-Kevin

astaindsoul5446Nov-27-06 01:02 PM
65 posts,
#7020, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 30

SO nobodies got nothing? huh? hmmmmm? anyone???? anything.
Hey thanks kevin, i called advanced by me, fargin idiots, the kids like we have a sending unit, and i even gave him the part num you listed, and he goes, nope non in stock.......... so that the part number, but i dont know..... i went to a upullit yard and yanked 5 just to test em to see what i come up with since i cant get any specs accept the one i already have. But thanks

TguyApr-01-10 04:27 PM
Member since Apr 01st 2010
21 posts,
#13154, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 0

so what you ended up doing?

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6988 Previous topic | Next topic