Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6903
View in linear mode

Subject: "Car cranks but wont start!" Previous topic | Next topic
burntheblobsJan-12-07 05:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6903, "Car cranks but wont start!"

Ok guys, I just did a headgasket and fuel system upgrade on my car. The problem is, when I tried to start the car, it cranked over but it didnt start. I think it's a fuel problem because I upgraded fuel pumps and I didn't hear a fuel pump when I put the car in the "On" position. Also, when I just cracked open the fuel line by the fuel pump to take out the fuel pump and make sure I wired it correctly, no fuel came out at all. The only other thing I can think of would be no spark. When I was putting the coil connector back in, a plastic peice was impeding the connector (even though I'm pretty sure it should have lined up with it) and the plastic peice broke off. Any suggestions?

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Car cranks but wont start!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-12-07 06:32 PM, #1
RE: Car cranks but wont start!, burntheblobs, Jan-12-07 07:18 PM, #2
      RE: Car cranks but wont start!, Remy, Jan-12-07 09:35 PM, #3
           RE: Car cranks but wont start!, burntheblobs, Jan-13-07 07:03 AM, #4
                RE: Car cranks but wont start!, kain_99gs, Jan-14-07 04:36 PM, #5
                     RE: Car cranks but wont start!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-14-07 09:16 PM, #6
                          RE: Car cranks but wont start!, TeamDR1665, Jan-15-07 04:32 AM, #7
                               RE: Car cranks but wont start!, burntheblobs, Jan-15-07 06:27 AM, #8
                                    RE: Car cranks but wont start!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-15-07 09:33 AM, #9
                                         RE: Car cranks but wont start!, TeamDR1665, Jan-15-07 10:35 AM, #10

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-12-07 06:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6904, "RE: Car cranks but wont start!"
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-12-07 06:34 PM by eclipzGST

Well, first check for spark. If you have spark, than it's fuel related. Fix the piece you broke and then go from there.
Did you re-wire the pump or are you still using the stock harness? I'd just rewire it to eliminate other wiring issues.
Try those things and then let us know what it was.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

burntheblobsJan-12-07 07:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#6905, "RE: Car cranks but wont start!"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Well, first check for spark. If you have spark, than it's fuel related. Fix the piece you broke and then go from there. Did you re-wire the pump or are you still using the stock harness? I'd just rewire it to eliminate other wiring issues. Try those things and then let us know what it was.

The pump has been rewired previously. How should I go about checking for spark?

RemyJan-12-07 09:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#6906, "RE: Car cranks but wont start!"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by burntheblobs
Originally posted by eclipzGST Well, first check for spark. If you have spark, than it's fuel related. Fix the piece you broke and then go from there. Did you re-wire the pump or are you still using the stock harness? I'd just rewire it to eliminate other wiring issues. Try those things and then let us know what it was.
The pump has been rewired previously. How should I go about checking for spark?

Pull a spark plu wire out. Stick a screw driver in the wire. Lay the screw driver and wire on the valve cover. Crank the car. If you dont see sparks you know you have no spark.

----------------------------------------
GT35 and stuff.
Lucky Number 6 ...

burntheblobsJan-13-07 07:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#6907, "RE: Car cranks but wont start!"
In response to Reply # 3
Jan-13-07 07:04 AM by burntheblobs

It's definitely the fuel pump. When I cracked open the fuel line NO fuel came out, and when I turned the key to the On position and clutch in, I heard no fuel pump. The relay near the ECU is fine, the relay near the fuel pump is fine, and the MPI fuse is good. The Fuel pump is brand new. What else am I missing? I need to get this worthless peice of shit out of the garage because I'm going back to school in a few days. Any suggestions fast?

kain_99gsJan-14-07 04:36 PM
Member since May 04th 2004
536 posts,
#6908, "RE: Car cranks but wont start!"
In response to Reply # 4

Do you still have your old pump or was it toast?

From what I understand, only the n/t's fuel pump turn's on when you put the key to the "ON" position. In my talon I thought the pump wasn't coming on, but it actually turns on when you crank over. Atleast this is what I researched from 2ners, so I could be wrong.

http://talontimes.blogspot.com

99gs
95TSI

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-14-07 09:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6909, "RE: Car cranks but wont start!"
In response to Reply # 5

Any luck Andy?
Just out of curiousity, do you hear any clicks coming from behind the radio when your try to start it? Have you ever checked your ECU caps? Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the ECU and take the cover off just to eliminate that as a possibility...

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

TeamDR1665Jan-15-07 04:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#6910, "RE: Car cranks but wont start!"
In response to Reply # 6

Any luck Andy? Just out of curiousity, do you hear any clicks coming from behind the radio when your try to start it? Have you ever checked your ECU caps? Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the ECU and take the cover off just to eliminate that as a possibility...

I would suspect caps too, Tony, but don't you think it's a bit convenient that things worked before the HG swap and now don't?

If the old fuel pump worked fine, I would put it back in and see if it still works. If it doesn't, then you know there is something wrong with the wiring. If it does work, then maybe you got a defective replacement. Did you buy this new pump new from a vendor or second hand, Andy?

Don't give up, bro. You've got so much karma banked up on this one. When that car runs, you're going to be unstoppable. Remember: The logner you have to wait for karma to come back around, the better the results will be.

burntheblobsJan-15-07 06:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#6911, "RE: Car cranks but wont start!"
In response to Reply # 7

It's not the ECU. I've already had to replace that twice, I know what that is like.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-15-07 09:33 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6912, "RE: Car cranks but wont start!"
In response to Reply # 8
Jan-15-07 09:39 AM by eclipzGST

Originally posted by DR1665
Originally posted by eclipzGST Any luck Andy? Just out of curiousity, do you hear any clicks coming from behind the radio when your try to start it? Have you ever checked your ECU caps? Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the ECU and take the cover off just to eliminate that as a possibility...
I would suspect caps too, Tony, but don't you think it's a bit convenient that things worked before the HG swap and now don't?

hmmm... I wonder what gave you that idea?

Originally posted by DR1665If the old fuel pump worked fine, I would put it back in and see if it still works.

That would be my next suggestion... Drop the old one in and see if it at least fires. If it doesn't, you know it's spark related.
Hey Brian, what do you think the odds are he wiggled the plug on the power tr unit and is having the same issue you were having with the Galant? If he just did the HG, it's entirely possible, he may have hit the harness and knocked it loose.

TeamDR1665Jan-15-07 10:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#6913, "RE: Car cranks but wont start!"
In response to Reply # 9

Hey Brian, what do you think the odds are he wiggled the plug on the power tr unit and is having the same issue you were having with the Galant? If he just did the HG, it's entirely possible, he may have hit the harness and knocked it loose.

Dude. I'm sayin'. Then again, I spent half an hour troubleshooting why there was no spark when I realized the ECU was sitting on the hood of the Eclipse, back in the garage.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6903 Previous topic | Next topic