Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6860
View in linear mode

Subject: "6 bolt swap in a 96 TSi" Previous topic | Next topic
talonguy2005Feb-02-07 11:12 AM
Member since May 16th 2004
1473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6860, "6 bolt swap in a 96 TSi"

Ok, since it seems very hard to sell a rebuilt 6 bolt motor, I'm just gonna have to do the swap, which I really didn't want to do. So basically I need a list of parts that I will need to buy. Has anyone here done the swap?

The parts that I've found out that I'll need are:
-1G Cam Sensor
-New wiring harness for the 2G connections to work with the 1G cam senor

Also the car is automatic, will the 2G torque converter bolt up to the 1G block? I don't know because the engine I got is missing the plate that the torque converter bolts up to.

The 6 bolt motor I have came out of a 92 laser just for the record.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some pics:

1992 Plymouth Laser
-Bone stock for now.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

donnyb373Feb-02-07 11:19 AM
Member since Apr 07th 2004
1122 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6861, "RE: 6 bolt swap in a 96 TSi"
In response to Reply # 0

id like to knop aswell, im looking for a block to rebuild when and if my 7 bolt grows legs

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EricFeb-02-07 03:08 PM
Member since Mar 21st 2004
252 posts,
#6862, "RE: 6 bolt swap in a 96 TSi"
In response to Reply # 1

Here is a good reference guide: http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/tech/1gina2g.pdf (PDF)

-Eric

97 Eclipse RS
1/4: 16.15 @ 87.35mph

RST95eclipseFeb-04-07 07:23 PM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
#6863, "RE: 6 bolt swap in a 96 TSi"
In response to Reply # 2

All your accessories are 2g (PS, Alt, A/C). Your motor mount needs to be 2g, and have it notched as Magnus states. Everything else is 1g - water pump, tensioner arm, and timing belt cover that needs to be cut (1g covers have 2 different setups for fasteners, so check up on that in vfaq). You'll also need to purchase a Kiggly adapter kit from IPT, or find one for sale, to mate your block to your transmission.

EcLIpsInEmCEe7Mar-23-07 11:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1607 posts,
#6864, "RE: 6 bolt swap in a 96 TSi"
In response to Reply # 3

Road Race Engineeing has a division that specializes in the 4g63 engine rebuild/6 bolt swap. im not very technical with car stuff so i had my car done there and theyre all hella tight and have helped me on numerous occasions. Check out road race service at http://4g63.com/ and give their number a call. Im sure they could help u out or answer your questions

good luck

-matt

97 Eclipse GS-T with 6-bolt engine

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-23-07 08:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6865, "RE: 6 bolt swap in a 96 TSi"
In response to Reply # 4

it's been almost 2 months... Are you done yet?

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6860 Previous topic | Next topic