Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6768
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..." Previous topic | Next topic
just2cMEbl33dJul-28-07 08:00 AM
Member since Jul 28th 2007
22 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6768, "Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..."

I have a 1998 GST and when i run it hard the collant seems to boil and steam really bad... I will list my mods to the car and maybe you can help me out with keeping it cool...

Force Performance EVO III Big 16G turbocharger ported
XS power front mount intercooler (FMIC) 24"x12"x3" end to end is 30.5"
inlet/outlet 3" rated for 700hp
injen intake
Fidanza aluminum lightweight flywheel 7 bolt
ACT 2600 MB1XTSS extreme clutch
Greedy Trust exhaust system turbo back
3" down pipe
External o2 dump
Greedy FMIC pipes
NGK spark plug wires
Prothane motor mount
255 LPH Walbro fuel pump
1g head w/ cometic head gasket, and intake manifold
steel braided clutch and oil line
ARP head struts

I was running it at 21 psi until it started over heating now i turned the boost controll all the way down... PLEASE HELP IN ANY WAY... thank you for your time...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..., DanKid, Jul-28-07 08:16 AM, #1
RE: Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jul-28-07 08:19 AM, #2
RE: Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..., just2cMEbl33d, Jul-28-07 08:52 AM, #3
      RE: Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..., kelvinb1, Jul-28-07 11:32 AM, #4
           RE: Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..., just2cMEbl33d, Jul-28-07 12:15 PM, #5
                RE: Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..., gsgoingT, Jul-28-07 01:23 PM, #6
                     RE: Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..., just2cMEbl33d, Jul-28-07 01:31 PM, #7

DanKidJul-28-07 08:16 AM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6769, "RE: Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..."
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-28-07 08:17 AM by DanKid

I don't know much about the turbo models but since you originally posted this in the non-turbo section i'll give you some suggestions. Try getting a thermostat that opens up at 160 degrees, changing to a higher psi cap, adding some water wetter to your coolant, check to make sure your fans are working, burb the coolant system, and maybe wrap your turbo and downpipe to keep temps down inside the engine bay.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTJul-28-07 08:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6770, "RE: Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..."
In response to Reply # 0

With a large core FMIC, you need to get creative with some ducting to get more cool air to the radiator.
When I installed my E316G, the J-pipe didn't clear the fan on the drivers side and I had to remove it. I had issues when the car wasn't moving enough for air to flow through the radiator and had to shut the car off at stoplights to keep from over heating. When it was a REALLY hot day, there was nothing I could do to keep it cool even when highway driving and had to leave the heat cranked.
I installed a SPAL fan wired to run all the time to pull air through which helped a ton. You could also get another mounted on the front of the radiator wired to push air if the additional pull fan is not enough.
Good luck! Large FMIC's always cause this.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

just2cMEbl33dJul-28-07 08:52 AM
22 posts,
#6771, "RE: Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..."
In response to Reply # 2

thank you both... any help is greatly appriciated...

kelvinb1Jul-28-07 11:32 AM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#6772, "RE: Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..."
In response to Reply # 3

airflow is your problem. get some nice flowing fans and you should be ok.

just2cMEbl33dJul-28-07 12:15 PM
22 posts,
#6773, "RE: Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..."
In response to Reply # 4

any suggestions for type of fans?

gsgoingTJul-28-07 01:23 PM
Member since Dec 23rd 2006
165 posts,
#6774, "RE: Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..."
In response to Reply # 5

get it here, you can get 12' for $40 that pulls/push 1600cfm cant beat that. i have two of those.
http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=48&osCsid=4c19560fe5067ab9d5854fc2f11d256c

just2cMEbl33dJul-28-07 01:31 PM
22 posts,
#6775, "RE: Help keeping my 98 Big 16g turbo cool??? PLEASE??? IM DESPERATE..."
In response to Reply # 6

thanks

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6768 Previous topic | Next topic