Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6615
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cylinder head stuck to block" Previous topic | Next topic
burntheblobsDec-21-06 12:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6615, "Cylinder head stuck to block"

So I'm re-doing my head gasket because I think it's blown. I am at the point where the cylinder head should be able to be lifted off the block. However, it seems to be stuck on the block completely. I'm pretty sure this is normal since it's probably melded with the head gasket a little bit, but any suggestions for getting the head loose?

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-21-06 12:14 PM, #1
RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, kelvinb1, Dec-21-06 12:24 PM, #2
      RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, Remy, Dec-21-06 01:57 PM, #3
           RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-21-06 04:06 PM, #4
                RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, orzech, Dec-24-06 08:32 AM, #5
                RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, Remy, Dec-28-06 10:13 AM, #6
                     RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, burntheblobs, Dec-28-06 11:24 AM, #7
                          RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, sawnuoff, Dec-28-06 12:20 PM, #8
                          RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-28-06 03:24 PM, #9
                          RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-28-06 03:24 PM, #10
                               RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, burntheblobs, Dec-28-06 05:53 PM, #11
                                    RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-28-06 07:07 PM, #12
                                         RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, orzech, Dec-29-06 02:28 PM, #13
                                              RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, kelvinb1, Dec-29-06 08:50 PM, #14
                                              RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, burntheblobs, Dec-30-06 07:00 AM, #15
                                                   RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, BigBald, Dec-30-06 07:30 PM, #16
                                                        RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, burntheblobs, Dec-30-06 07:52 PM, #17
                                                             RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, burntheblobs, Jan-02-07 04:24 AM, #18
RE: Cylinder head stuck to block, twack, Dec-08-07 12:46 PM, #19

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-21-06 12:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6616, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 0
Dec-21-06 12:15 PM by bullettdsm

Do you have Arp's in there? They can sometimes be a b***h to pull through. Are you trying to pull the head with the intake and exhaust mani on? That can also feel like she doesn't want to come. You did pull out 10 bolts, yes? Kind of silly, but you never know.

I usually pull them with the intake on, so I suppose I get some leverage from that. Haven't had this problem before but if she really is "undone" then a hard rubber mallet as a dead blow (in a safe spot. Please don't just start wailing away) will help you. If they are arps, then you may need to do some wiggling.

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

kelvinb1Dec-21-06 12:24 PM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#6617, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 1

when i pulled the head off one, the bracket on the back from the intake mani to block was holding it on. make sure thats off if your intake is still on!

RemyDec-21-06 01:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#6618, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 2

I always use a screw driver to break the seal on the corner of the head and some strength to pull it off.

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-21-06 04:06 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6619, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 3
Dec-21-06 04:07 PM by eclipzGST

Originally posted by Remy
I always use a screw driver to break the seal on the corner of the head and some strength to pull it off.

Be REAL careful if anyone tries this. Unless you plan on having the head decked...
Just do as Mark said and tap around the outside with a rubber mallet.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

orzechDec-24-06 08:32 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2003
597 posts,
#6620, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 4

10 lb sledge did the trick for me

11.34 at 123 fp3065 28 psi straight pump 93 octane

95 tsi awd 5 speed-2gb 6 bolt dsmlink
95tsi fwd- parts
95 tsi fwd- beater
91 galant vr4- new build

RemyDec-28-06 10:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#6621, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by Remy I always use a screw driver to break the seal on the corner of the head and some strength to pull it off.
Be REAL careful if anyone tries this. Unless you plan on having the head decked... Just do as Mark said and tap around the outside with a rubber mallet.

My statement was actually a joke. Thanks for making that clear for peeps. I use a mallett as Mark stated. Tap around the head until it breaks free.

----------------------------------------
GT35 and stuff.
Lucky Number 6 ...

burntheblobsDec-28-06 11:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#6622, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 6

Ok guys, that bracket on the back is completely off, and this head STILL wont come off. It feels completely free on the passenger's side, but it only wants to come about an inch off the block on the drivers side. Any ideas??

sawnuoffDec-28-06 12:20 PM
Member since Feb 12th 2006
7 posts,
#6623, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 7

check to see if a ground strap is holding it down

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-28-06 03:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#6624, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 8

Ok, you're making me work here. You DID take off the timing belt, right? J/K.

Um...there is some timing belt cover sheetmetal that could still be connected on that side that might allow you to pull up on the block a little. The little 10mm on the side. How about transistor harness still plugged in? fuel rail? Have you taken off the exhaust mani? If you are able to lift up about an inch, you are past the alignment dowels. You didn't drop a valve into a piston right? Eh, a little more levity
Those are some things off the top of my head (no pun intended)

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-28-06 03:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6625, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 7
Dec-28-06 03:30 PM by eclipzGST

Originally posted by burntheblobs
Ok guys, that bracket on the back is completely off, and this head STILL wont come off. It feels completely free on the passenger's side, but it only wants to come about an inch off the block on the drivers side. Any ideas??

Ok, NOW you can use a screwdriver. Get a big flathead, put a rag over the end and work your way around TURNING it (NOT prying).
Edit: Are you SURE nothing is still attached??? Use a small mirror to look at the backside.

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

burntheblobsDec-28-06 05:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#6626, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by burntheblobs Ok guys, that bracket on the back is completely off, and this head STILL wont come off. It feels completely free on the passenger's side, but it only wants to come about an inch off the block on the drivers side. Any ideas??
Ok, NOW you can use a screwdriver. Get a big flathead, put a rag over the end and work your way around TURNING it (NOT prying). Edit: Are you SURE nothing is still attached??? Use a small mirror to look at the backside.

The head itself is free from the block, but something is still holding it on. I'm gonna try a mirror behind the intake manifold tomorrow to see if i missed anything. The snag really feels like its coming from exhaust manifold/drivers side corner of the head, which is why I'm really lost. There isn't much there that needs to be undone to get the head off in the first place!

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-28-06 07:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6627, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 11

It could be that the HG is stuck to the block in one place and stuck to the head in another and as you try to lift it, it's bending and snagging on the studs. If you can get someone to help you, have them look in between while you lift.

orzechDec-29-06 02:28 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2003
597 posts,
#6628, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 12

do you have a 2g/evo III exhaust manifold on a 1g head? if so the corner of the manifold might be hitting your power steering bracket. double check that situation.

11.34 at 123 fp3065 28 psi straight pump 93 octane

95 tsi awd 5 speed-2gb 6 bolt dsmlink
95tsi fwd- parts
95 tsi fwd- beater
91 galant vr4- new build

kelvinb1Dec-29-06 08:50 PM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#6629, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 13

put some heat on it

burntheblobsDec-30-06 07:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#6630, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by orzech
do you have a 2g/evo III exhaust manifold on a 1g head? if so the corner of the manifold might be hitting your power steering bracket. double check that situation.

I do indeed have a 2g manifold on a 1g head. I'll take a look at this, thank you.

BigBaldDec-30-06 07:30 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#6631, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 15

Did you remove all the studs and it is still stuck? Or are these ARP's and you just removed the nuts and washers?

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

burntheblobsDec-30-06 07:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#6632, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 16

It's the exhaust manifold and furthers stud that is catching on the engine mount.

burntheblobsJan-02-07 04:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#6633, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 17
Jan-02-07 04:24 AM by burntheblobs

Not only was the exhaust manifold hitting the engine mount, but the furthest stud was hitting it too. I had to take that guy out. Cylinder head is officially out, and headgasket looks unnofficially fine. Of course lol.

twackDec-08-07 12:46 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2007
50 posts,
#6634, "RE: Cylinder head stuck to block"
In response to Reply # 0

check the intake mani bracket

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6615 Previous topic | Next topic