Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6572
View in linear mode

Subject: "timing belt" Previous topic | Next topic
JRVENGEDec-11-06 03:11 AM
Member since Nov 29th 2006
4 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6572, "timing belt"

i have the 2g 4g63 engine. does anyone know how much play there can be in the timig belt before it needs to be replaced. I just bought this car and the visually looks ok, still mitsubishi lettering on belt. the car has 150k plus miles on it, but runs perfect. the belt has approx. 1/2 to 4/3 play at top of belt. when i say play i mean vertical flexing not side to side. thanks in advance for any help.

i understand that it's probably a good idea to have this done, but i am just trying to gauage if this has been done recently on this car or not. dealer i bouhgt it from didn't know.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Keith2172Dec-11-06 04:52 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6573, "RE: timing belt"
In response to Reply # 0

First off, wrong forumn, check out the 1st-gen/4G63 forumn off the top page. I would think that there shouldn't be any 'play' in the belt at all, as the tensioner should take up any slop. Do the cam gears move enough to suggest that the whole belt is pulling to give you 1/2in. play, or is there just that much between the gears? Does it run funny/ have a weird lope? Any CEL's? Either way doesn't sound to encouraging to me, just have the timing belt replaced and be done with it.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

cc8ballaDec-11-06 06:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
#6574, "RE: timing belt"
In response to Reply # 1

If you aren't sure it's been done, and the dealer isn't sure, I'd go ahead and replace it and the tensioner. Just to be safe. Beats busting a belt and bending valves.

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

I contributed to the wiki!

happy p'ple

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-11-06 01:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#6575, "RE: timing belt"
In response to Reply # 2

These belts don't stretch, the teeth just break. The way they are checked is on the "tooth" side. The outside really does not mean much. I've seen belts with 50 miles on them where the outside looks crappy because it was barely rubbing against a piece of the cover. If you want to check the belt "officially" you have to take it off and bend it against the back. Then look for breaks or cracks in the teeth.
That being said, the roll of the dice would be up to you. 150k and you're not sure when (or if) it's been done.........could be a big ouch if you're wrong and you wipe out your valves. My car, my keeper, I'm gonna do it. Your choice.

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-11-06 03:06 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6576, "RE: timing belt"
In response to Reply # 3
Dec-11-06 03:08 PM by eclipzGST

Are you talking about having play in the between the cam gears? Depending on where the motor "stops" you could have virtually no play or quite a bit. As Mark said, it's not so much the play you need to worry about but the teeth.
Edit: I just went back and noticed your mileage. Timing belts are "supposed" to be changed every 60K. Unless you can verify when the last time it was changed, it should either be ok or WAY over due!

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

twackDec-08-07 12:49 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2007
50 posts,
#6577, "RE: timing belt"
In response to Reply # 0

depending on the how the cams are sitting ther can be a lil but there shouldnt be much

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6572 Previous topic | Next topic