Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6059
View in linear mode

Subject: "axle replacement rant..." Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-31-03 09:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6059, "axle replacement rant..."

So, my cv joint on the drivers side was fukked when I bought the car and the guy told me it would need a new axle. So, I finally get off my ass and decided to do it and get it over with.
First I go to Advance auto parts for the axle. (Called and said there was 2 in stock) I get there and he looks it up, gives it to me and I go home, bust out the toolbox, jack, stands and everything else I'll need.
Pull the tire off. Notice something loose like ball joint. Boot is like 4" up the axle instead of over the joint. Yup, thrashed. hehe. Outer tie rod end is fukked too. Take wifes car back to AAP for tie rod end.
OK, time to tear into it. Nut on axle is a solid round chunck of rusted shit. Chip away with screwdriver and hammer till most is clean. After 1/2 can of PB Blaster, Nut is loose.
Opened box with axle. Shit wrong one! Take it back. Dumbasses gave me a FWD axle. Called CAP, they can have one in the morning for $20 cheaper.
Today, I go get axle, yep, right one this time .
Go home pull tire back off.
Hammered on nut/axle for a good 10 min with lead hammer. Bitch ain't moving.
Fuck.
Tighten nut back up, drive to garage. They can't budge the bitch either. Suggest I get new spindle at boneyard and just replace the whole shit.
Call junkyard, they got one. Get there. It's from a 94 GSX with ABS. Oh well, should work.
Get back to garage, swap rotors, put it all back together, take it out and wobbling like a mofo. WTF!?
Turns out the rotor from ABS cars have these big ass holes to clear 2 small bolts on the gear. Had to pull rotor back off and drill the holes out.
Now it's done and I'm out an extra $35 for the spindle and $60 labor.
A stupid little job I shoulda been able to do myself just cost me a whopping grand total of $177 (axle, tie rod end, spindle, and labor)
I LOVE DSM's!!!!

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: axle replacement rant..., FarOutKucki, Jan-01-04 01:32 PM, #1
RE: axle replacement rant..., Uberingram, Jan-01-04 02:06 PM, #2
      RE: axle replacement rant..., FarOutKucki, Jan-01-04 02:24 PM, #3
           RE: axle replacement rant..., klipzracer, Jan-01-04 03:03 PM, #4
                RE: axle replacement rant..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-01-04 03:13 PM, #5
                     RE: axle replacement rant..., Hult250R, Jan-01-04 05:22 PM, #6
                          RE: axle replacement rant..., FarOutKucki, Jan-01-04 10:02 PM, #7
                               RE: axle replacement rant..., TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-03-04 06:25 AM, #8
                                    RE: axle replacement rant..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-03-04 07:07 AM, #9
                                         RE: axle replacement rant..., TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-04-04 08:54 AM, #10
                                              RE: axle replacement rant..., HybriDSM, Jan-04-04 11:33 AM, #11
                                                   RE: axle replacement rant..., Vandy420a, Jan-04-04 12:51 PM, #12
                                                        RE: axle replacement rant..., TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-04-04 02:18 PM, #13
                                                             RE: axle replacement rant..., HybriDSM, Jan-05-04 03:14 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: axle replacement rant..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-05-04 06:23 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: axle replacement rant..., HybriDSM, Jan-05-04 06:25 AM, #16
                                                                            RE: axle replacement rant..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-05-04 08:31 AM, #17
                                                                                 RE: axle replacement rant..., chaye, Jan-12-04 09:40 PM, #18

FarOutKuckiJan-01-04 01:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2719 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6060, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 0

are you sure you just couldnt break torque on the bolt? those fuckers are on so tight its unreal.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

UberingramJan-01-04 02:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#6061, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by FarOutKucki
are you sure you just couldnt break torque on the bolt? those fuckers are on so tight its unreal.

thats becuase you dont have a breaker bar

FarOutKuckiJan-01-04 02:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2719 posts,
#6062, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Uberingram
Originally posted by FarOutKucki are you sure you just couldnt break torque on the bolt? those fuckers are on so tight its unreal.
thats becuase you dont have a breaker bar

ass.

klipzracerJan-01-04 03:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#6063, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 3

i alwas used my breaker bar and find a long a$$ pipe to slide over it for maximum leaverage.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-01-04 03:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6064, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 4

no, no, no.
I got the NUT free from the axle but the axle was frozen/rusted to the inside of the hub and wouldn't slide out.
I even returned the axle still connected to the hub for the core exchange. And they took it

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

Hult250RJan-01-04 05:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#6065, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by eclipzGST
no, no, no. I got the NUT free from the axle but the axle was frozen/rusted to the inside of the hub and wouldn't slide out. I even returned the axle still connected to the hub for the core exchange. And they took it

I had the same prob with my 90 TSI ended up heating up the hub with an acetelyne torch to get the damn axle out

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

FarOutKuckiJan-01-04 10:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2719 posts,
#6066, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 6

blue flame tool always works wonders

TeamJeff_99gsJan-03-04 06:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#6067, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 7

At least you have a '98. Try that on a 14 year old car I have some REAL horror stories.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-03-04 07:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6068, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
At least you have a '98. Try that on a 14 year old car I have some REAL horror stories.

This was on the Talon (a 12 yr old car)

TeamJeff_99gsJan-04-04 08:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#6069, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 9

Oh. Well the one I had the problems with had 215,000 miles, so there

HybriDSMJan-04-04 11:33 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#6070, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
Oh. Well the one I had the problems with had 215,000 miles, so there

Ha, the GSX was a disaster. It's easier now though. All new components.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Vandy420aJan-04-04 12:51 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#6071, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 11

tip on breaker bars:

My brother is big into lax, and if you're in the NE at least you can usually find someone who plays and has a messed up stick they'll just give to you (bent, whatever). they're hexagonal or octagonal in shape so they hold tools better, and they're stronger than hell for their size and light as a feather. Plus they're really really easy to cut to fit...

I love lax, but alot of the guys on my brother's team are snots about their sticks...when they bend em or dent em, they're trash apparently...now i've got aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber breaker bars

Vandy

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

TeamJeff_99gsJan-04-04 02:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#6072, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 12
Jan-05-04 06:25 AM by Jeff_99gs

Damn that is a good idea. I have about 20 shafts sitting right behind me. I never even thought about that.

HybriDSMJan-05-04 03:14 AM
2407 posts,
#6073, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 13

Ha me too. All that college equipment won't go to complete waste after all. Well played Vandy.

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-05-04 06:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6074, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 14

somebody send me one! I'll take one titanium stick please.

HybriDSMJan-05-04 06:25 AM
2407 posts,
#6075, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 15

I might be able to arrange that, if you're serious. PM me address and such. I'll see what can be done.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-05-04 08:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6076, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by HybriDSM
I might be able to arrange that, if you're serious. PM me address and such. I'll see what can be done.

For real? cool. I'll only need a piece about 12-16"

chayeJan-12-04 09:40 PM
Member since Apr 28th 2002
420 posts,
#6077, "RE: axle replacement rant..."
In response to Reply # 17

you could have just gone to autozone and rented one of them axle removers, they bolt on to your wheel studs and a bolt that you turn on pushes the axle in, and if you have air tools that bitch is out in no time...i use to do this kinds of things with a big ass hammer until i stumble on this tool..which i kept just for safekeepin

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6059 Previous topic | Next topic